- Volume 12 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Immunomodulatory Effects of Dioscoreae Rhizome Against Inflammation through Suppressed Production of Cytokines Via Inhibition of the NF-
- Kim, Seulah (College of Pharmacy, Sahmyook University) ;
- Shin, Seulmee (College of Pharmacy, Sahmyook University) ;
- Hyun, Bobae (College of Pharmacy, Sahmyook University) ;
- Kong, Hyunseok (College of Pharmacy, Sahmyook University) ;
- Han, Shinha (College of Pharmacy, Sahmyook University) ;
- Lee, Aeri (College of Pharmacy, Sahmyook University) ;
- Lee, Seungjeong (College of Pharmacy, Chungbuk University) ;
- Kim, Kyungjae (College of Pharmacy, Sahmyook University)
- Received : 2012.08.16
- Accepted : 2012.09.05
- Published : 2012.10.31
Dioscoreae Rhizome (DR) has been used in traditional medicine to treat numerous diseases and is reported to have anti-diabetes and anti-tumor activities. To identify a bioactive traditional medicine with anti-inflammatory activity of a water extract of DR (EDR), we determined the mRNA and protein levels of proinflammatory cytokines in macrophages through RT-PCR and western blot analysis and performed a FACS analysis for measuring surface molecules. EDR dose-dependently decreased the production of NO and pro-inflammatory cytokines such as IL-
Supported by : Sahmyook University
- Duncan, B. B., M. I. Schmidt, J. S. Pankow, C. M. Ballantyne, D. Couper, A. Vigo, R. Hoogeveen, A. R. Folsom, and G. Heiss; Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study. 2003. Low-grade systemic inflammation and the development of type 2 diabetes: the atherosclerosis risk in communities study. Diabetes 52: 1799-1805.
- Jacobs, M., M. M. van Greevenbroek, C. J. van der Kallen, I. Ferreira, E. E. Blaak, E. J. Feskens, E. H. Jansen, C. G. Schalkwijk, and C. D. Stehouwer. 2009. Low-grade inflammation can partly explain the association between the metabolic syndrome and either coronary artery disease or severity of peripheral arterial disease: the CODAM study. Eur. J. Clin. Invest. 39: 437-444.
- Vane, J. R., J. A. Mitchell, I. Appleton, A. Tomlinson, D. Bishop-Bailey, J. Croxtall, and D. A. Willoughby. 1994. Inducible isoforms of cyclooxygenase and nitric-oxide synthase in inflammation. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 91: 2046-2050.
- Lee, T. H., H. B. Kwak, H. H. Kim, Z. H. Lee, D. K. Chung, N. I. Baek, and J. Kim. 2007. Methanol extracts of Stewartia koreana inhibit cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) and inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) gene expression by blocking NF-kappaB transactivation in LPS-activated RAW 264.7 cells. Mol. Cells 23: 398-404.
- Nathan, C. 1997. Inducible nitric oxide synthase: what difference does it make? J. Clin. Invest. 100: 2417-2423.
- Bogdan, C. 2001. Nitric oxide and the immune response. Nat. Immunol. 2: 907-916.
- Vila-del Sol, V. and M. Fresno. 2005. Involvement of TNF and NF-kappa B in the transcriptional control of cyclooxygenase- 2 expression by IFN-gamma in macrophages. J. Immunol. 174: 2825-2833.
- Lind, L. 2003. Circulating markers of inflammation and atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis 169: 203-214.
- Tilg, H., A. Wilmer, W. Vogel, M. Herold, B. Nölchen, G. Judmaier, and C. Huber. 1992. Serum levels of cytokines in chronic liver diseases. Gastroenterology. 103: 264-274.
- Coker, R. K. and G. J. Laurent. 1998. Pulmonary fibrosis: cytokines in the balance. Eur. Respir. J. 11: 1218-1221.
- Siebenlist, U., G. Franzoso, and K. Brown. 1994. Structure, regulation and function of NF-kappa B. Annu. Rev. Cell. Biol. 10: 405-455.
- Renard, P. and M. Raes. 1999. The proinflammatory transcription factor NFkappaB: a potential target for novel therapeutical strategies. Cell. Biol. Toxicol. 15: 341-344.
- Tian, B. and A. R. Brasier. 2003. Identification of a nuclear factor kappa B-dependent gene network. Recent. Prog. Horm. Res. 58: 95-130.
- Zhong, X., E. Nishino, and N, Okagami. 2002. Temperature dependence of seedling establishment of a perennial, Dioscorea tokoro. J. Plant. Res. 115: 55-57.
- Lee, S. C., C. C. Tsai, J. C. Chen, C. C. Lin, M. L. Hu, and S. Lu. 2002. The evaluation of reno- and hepatoprotective effects of huai-shan-yao (Rhizome Dioscoreae). Am. J. Chin. Med. 30: 609-616.
- Tewtrakul, S. and A. Itharat. 2007. Nitric oxide inhibitory substances from the rhizomes of Dioscorea membranacea. J. Ethnopharmacol. 109: 412-416.
- Stuehr, D. J. and C. F. Nathan. 1989. Nitric oxide. A macrophage product responsible for cytostasis and respiratory inhibition in tumor target cells. J. Exp. Med. 169: 1543-1555.
- Lee, G. I., J. Y. Ha, K. R. Min, H. Nakagawa, S. Tsurufuji, I. M. Chang, and Y. Kim. 1995. Inhibitory effects of oriental herbal medicines on IL-8 induction in lipopolysaccharideactivated rat macrophages. Planta. Med. 61: 26-30.
- Laskin, D. L. and K. J. Pendino. 1995. Macrophages and inflammatory mediators in tissue injury. Annu. Rev. Pharmacol. Toxicol. 35: 655-677.
- Furchgott, R., P. Cherry, J. Zawadzki, and D. Jothianandan. 1984. Endothelial cells as mediators of vasodilation of arteries. J. Cardiovasc. Pharmacol. 6: S336-343.
- Wei, X., I. Charles, A. Smith, J. Ure, G. Feng, and H. Huang. 1995. Altered immune responses in mice lacking inducible nitric oxide synthase. Nature 375: 408-4011.
- Ahmad, N., L. C. Chen, M. A. Gordon, J. D. Laskin, and D. L. Laskin. 2002. Regulation of cyclooxygenase-2 by nitric oxide in activated hepatic macrophages during acute endotoxemia. J. Leukoc. Biol. 71: 1005-1011.
- Li, Q. and I. M. Verma. 2002. NFkappa B regulation in the immune system. Nat. Rev. Immunol. 2: 725-734.
- Richmond, A. 2002. NF-kappa B, chemokine gene transcription and tumour growth. Nat. Rev. Immunol. 2: 664-674.
- Lee, S., S. Shin, H. Kim, S. Han, K. Kim, J. Kwon, J. H. Kwak, C. K. Lee, N. J. Ha, D. Yim, and K. Kim. 2011. Antipinflammatory function of arctiin by inhibiting COX-2 expression via NF-kappaB pathways. Inflammation 8: 16.
- Karin, M. and Y. Ben-Neriah. 2000. Phosphorylation meets ubiquitination: The control of NF-kappa B activity. Annu. Rev. Immunol. 18: 621-663.