- Volume 15 Issue 5
Constructivistic Learning Method with Simulation to Increase Classroom Engagement
- Yuniawan, Dani (Department of Mechanical Engineering, The University of Tokushima) ;
- Ito, Teruaki (Department of Industrial Engineering, Merdeka University of Malang)
- Received : 2011.10.04
- Accepted : 2012.09.10
- Published : 2012.09.30
It is reported that the constructivistic learning method (CLM) enhances the understanding of the students in the learning process, especially in engineering classes. In CLM-based classes, the students can take the initiative in the learning process, which is called the student-centered model of the learning process. This is different from the traditional learning method based on the teacher-centered model, where a teacher plays the central role in the learning process of students. The authors have applied the method of CLM to one of the Engineering classes, namely production planning and inventory control (PPIC) class for undergraduate students. The PPIC class provides multimedia-based study materials and factory visits as well as regular lecture sections to cover the whole subject of inventory control theory and practice. In the review sessions, students are divided into several groups, and question-and-answer discussions were actively carried out among these groups under the support of the teacher as a facilitator. It was observed that the student engagement in the class was very active compared to the conventional lecture-based classes. As for further support of students understanding on the subject, simulation-based materials are also under study for the class. This paper presents the review of case study of CLM-based PPIC class and discusses the feasibility of simulation-based study materials for further improvement of the class.
Constructivistic learning method;production planning;Inventory control;classroom engagement;simulation
- Mahapatra, P.B. (2010), Operations Management - A quantitative approach: PHI Learning Private Limited, India, pp.363-365.
- Norbert M. Seel (2011), Encyclopedia of the Sciences of Learning, Springer Reference, pp.783-785.
- Wayne L. & Albright C. (2009) Practical management science: South Western Publisher, pp.736-740.
- Yuniawan, D. & Ito, T (2011), Brick-Redesign Project: A Case of Waste Management PBL Using Taguchi Method, Design Engineering Workshop 2011, Tosu, Saga, Japan, pp.113-117.
- Yuniawan, D. & Ito, T (2011), Constructivistic Learning Method with Simulation to Increase Classroom Engagement, 2nd Asian Conference on Engineering Education (ACEE 2011), Tokushima, Japan, PS-49.
- Industrial Engineering Department (2007), Syllabus of Production Planning Inventory Control: Engineering Faculty, Merdeka University Malang, Indonesia.