- Volume 12 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Indoor Air Quality of Laboratories in K- University and the Management Strategy
K대학교 실험실의 실내공기질 실태 및 관리방안
- Received : 2012.02.09
- Accepted : 2012.04.23
- Published : 2012.05.28
The purpose of this study was to examine the occurrence level of harmful chemical substance and the riskiness caused by it at university laboratory, which had been faintly interested in safe health management. It measured and analyzed indoor pollutants by academic department targeting K university where is located in Seoul Metropolis for 6 days starting from May 26, 2010. As a result, the appearance of being furnished with MSDS, the appearance of installing the exposure-reduction facilities, and the present status of supplying protective equipment in order to grasp the present status of managing harmful chemical substance at university laboratory were relatively good in management at the Dept. of Chemistry, the Dept. of Physics, and the Dept. of Medical Science, which are basic science laboratories. The activity for managing harmful chemical substance in the Dept. of Dental Medicine and the Dept. of Fine Arts was surveyed to be insufficient. Also, the concentration of formaldehyde and TVOCs(total volatile organic compounds) inside laboratory was detected noticeably highly in the Dept. of Fine Arts compared to other laboratories. The concentration of formaldehyde in a group, which was collectivized by similar academic department, was indicated to be higher in other academic departments including the Dept. of Fine Arts and the Dept. of Life Science, thereby having shown significant difference. The concentration of formaldehyde and TVOCs showed significant difference at the laboratory without installation compared to the laboratory with installation of fume hood. Seeing the above results, it could be known that a whole drop in recognition on influence of chemical upon health leads to being able to increase occurrence level of hazardous factor due to being insufficient in activity of protecting exposure to chemical substance.
Formaldehyde;Health and Safety in Laboratories;Laboratories of University;Total Volatile Organic Compounds
- 양혁승, 최재욱, 윤석준, "Terry Farr. Status of health and safety management in occupational hygiene laboratories in Korea", 한국산업위생학회지, 제17권, 제1호, pp.53-62, 2007.
- A. K. Furr, "Handbook of Laboratory Safety, 4th ed," CRC Press. Boca Rato Florida, 1995.
- 안광석, 강동묵, 신용철, 전용화, "미국 상위 30개 연구 중심 대학들의 실험실 환경보건안전 담당부서 - MIT 사례를 중심으로", 한국산업위생학회지, 제17권, 제3호, p.193, 2007.
- 후생노동성, 노동안전위생법, 2010.
- 교육시설재난공제회, "대학 화재사고 분석 및 실험.실습실 안전사고 사례집", 교육시설재난공제회 공제사업부 발간, 2010.
- 김명신, 백남원, "일부 대학 화학실험실에서의 유기용매 노출에 관한 연구", 서울대학교 보건대학원 국민보건연구소, 제8권, 제1호, pp.33-46, 1998.
- 신용철, 안광석, 강동묵, "연구실험실 보건관리 제도화 예비 타당성 연구", 과학기술부 2006년도 국가연구개발사업 연구보고서, 2007.
- 성낙봉, "친환경 실내 디자인 소재 개발 활용 방안", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제11권, 제10호, pp.209-216.
- A. D. Lucas and S. A. Salisbury, "Industrial hygiene survey in a university art department," J of Environ. Pathol. Toxicol. Oncol. Vol.11-1, pp.21-27, 1992.
- 김형석, "초등미술교육에서 사용되는 미술 및 표현재료의 유해물질과 그 대안에 관한 연구", 한국디자인문화학회지, 제13권, 제3호, pp.94-107, 2007.
- 환경부 실내공기질 공정시험방법, 2009-223, 2009.
- 변혜정, 박정임, "실험실 근무자의 화학물질 노출과 건강 위험", 한국환경보건학회지, Vol.36-6, pp.441-455, 2010.
- P. Rygh, "Orthodontic root resorption studied by electron microscopy," Angle Orthod, Vol.47, No.1, pp.1-16, 1997.
- D. Veccino, A. J. Sasco, and C. I. Cann, "Occupational risk in health care and research," American Journal of Industrial Medicine, Vol.43, pp.369-397, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajim.10191
- Reinhard Pabst, "Exposure to formaldehyde in anatomy: An occupational health hazard?," The Anatomical Record, Vol.219, pp.109-112, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1002/ar.1092190202
- G. Axelsson, C. Cultz, and R. Rylander, "Exposure to solvents and outcome of pregnancy in university laboratory employees," British Journal of Industrial Medicine, Vol.41, pp.305-312, 1984.
- J. M. Harrington and H. S. Shannon, "Survey of safety and health care in British medical laboratories," British Medical Journal, Vol.1, pp.626-628, 1977. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.1.6061.626
- J. A. Conti, K. Killpack, G. Gerritzen, L. Huang, M. Mircheva, M. Delmas, B. Herr Harthorn, R. P. Appelbaum, and Patricia A. Holden, "Health and safety practices in the nanomaterials workplace: Results from an international survey," Environmental Science Technology, Vol.42-9, pp.3155-3162, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1021/es702158q