- Volume 1 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Novel 6/5 Switched Reluctance Motor with Short Flux Path: Concept, Design and Analysis
- Tanujaya, Marully (Dept. of Mechatronics Engineering, Kyungsung University) ;
- Lee, Dong-Hee (Dept. of Mechatronics Engineering, Kyungsung University) ;
- An, Young-Joo (Dept. of Control and Instrumentation Engineering, Pukyong National University) ;
- Ahn, Jin-Woo (Dept. of Mechatronics Engineering, Kyungsung University)
- Received : 2011.09.23
- Accepted : 2011.10.16
- Published : 2012.03.01
A novel 6/5 switched reluctance motor (SRM) with short flux path is presented in this paper. The concept of this proposed motor is a novel SR motor with six stator and five rotor poles. The stator is constructed with three independent and physically separate C-core segments, and the rotor is composed of five poles. This motor, with a new selection for the number of stator/rotor poles, achieves a short flux path, which reduces the magnetomotive force required to drive the motor. To verify the performance of the proposed motor, a comparison with conventional SR motors with the same dimensions is executed. The comparison demonstrates that the proposed motor offers better performance in terms of maximum torque production. Furthermore, Finite Element Analysis (FEA) and Matlab/Simulink software are used to predict and simulate the performance of the proposed motor.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- Labak, A.; Kar, N.C.; , "A novel five-phase pancake shaped switched reluctance motor for hybrid electric vehicles," Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference, 2009. VPPC '09. IEEE , vol., no., pp.494-499, 7-10 Sept. 2009.
- T. Uematsu, R. S. Wallace "Design of a 100Kw Switched Reluctance Motor for Electric Vehicle" IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 49, no 1, pp 160-170, Feb 2002.
- T.J.E. Miller, "Optimal Design of Switched Reluctance Motors" IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 49, no 1, pp 160-170, Feb 2002.
- K.N. Srinivas and R. Arumugam, "Finite element analysis combined circuit simulation of dynamic performance of switched reluctance motors," Electric Power Components and Systems, Vol. 30, 2002, pp1033-1045. https://doi.org/10.1080/15325000290085352
- G. O. Young, "Synthetic structure of industrial plastics," in Plastics, 2nd ed., vol.3, J. Peters, Ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1965, pp. 15-64.
- M. Tanujaya, Dong-Hee Lee, Jin-Woo Ahn, "Design a Novel Switched Reluctance Motor for Neighborhoods Electric Vehicle", ECCE-Asia, June 2011.
- Jin-Woo Ahn, Huynh Khac Minh Khoi, Dong-Hee Lee, "Design and analysis of high speed 4/2 SRMs for an airblower," Industrial Electronics (ISIE), 2010 IEEE International Symposium on, vol., no., pp.1242-1246, 4-7 July 2010.
- Jin-Woo Ahn, Sung-Jun Park, Dong-Hee Lee, "Novel encoder for switching angle control of SRM," Industrial Electronics, IEEE Transactions on , vol.53, no.3, pp. 848-854, June 2006 https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2006.874278
- Krishnan R.: Switched Reluctance Motor Drives. CRC Press LLC, Boca Raton, Florida, 2001.
- Bienkowski K., Szczypior J., Bucki B., Biernat A., Rogalski A.: Influence of Geometrical Parameters of Switched Reluctance Motor on Electromagnetic Torque. Proceedings of XVI International Conference of Electrical Machines, Krakow, 5-8 September 2004.
- Cheewoo Lee, Krishnan, R., "New Designs of a Two-Phase E-Core Switched Reluctance Machine by Optimizing the Magnetic Structure for a Specific Application: Concept, Design, and Analysis," Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting, 2008. IAS '08. IEEE , vol., no., pp.1-8, 5-9 Oct. 2008.