- Volume 12 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The effect of garlic extract on antibacterial activity of periopathogens
Garlic extract 배합 치약의 치주질환 균주에 대한 항균 효과
- Jang, Jong-Hwa (Dept. of Dental Hygiene, Hanseo University) ;
- Park, Young-Duk (Dept. of Preventive Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Kyunghee University) ;
- Ryu, Da-Young (Dept. of Dental Hygiene, Hyejeon college)
- Received : 2012.05.30
- Accepted : 2012.06.22
- Published : 2012.06.30
Objectives : This study mean to confirm the antibacterial activity of a garlic extract widely culturing in our region and was to determine the effect of dentifrice containing 0.1% extracts of garlic on dental plaque and gingivitis in a double blind and clinical studies in 50 healthy adults aged from 20 to 22 years who provided a consent for their participation. Methods : The antibacterial activity was evaluated using triple distilled water and the Kirby-Bauer disk diffusion method and the minimal inhibitory concentration(MIC) against various pathogens for periodontal disease, such as P. gingivalis 381(ATCC33277), was estimated. The experimental groups classified according to the concentration of garlic extract used: 10,000ppm(A), 5,000ppm(B), 2,500ppm(C), 1,000ppm(D). Oral examination of subjects was performed through clinical periods and on day of baseline, 6, 12, 19, 25 days plaque index and gingival index were scored by Turesky' modified index and Loe & Silness index. After 12, 19, 25 days use of their respective dentifrices, statistically decreases of plaque index, gingival index were shown in both the experimental and the control group, respectively. Results : There was significant antibacterial activity in the "2,500ppm(C)" group against P. gingivalis 381. Experimental group exhibited significantly the lower plaque levels and the higher levels of gingival health by the use of the dentifrices contained extract of garlic from 6 days compare with control group(p<0.05). The degree of decrease was more significant on gingivitis level of the experimental group than the control group(p<0.05). Conclusions : This findings indicated that the oral products containing a garlic extract is effective in preventing and treating periodontal diseases, and has potential value in inhibiting periopathogens.
- Kim JB, Choi YJ, Moon HS, et al. Public Dental Health. 4th ed. Seoul:Komoonsa;2004:208-213.
- Ma DS, Park DY, Moon HS, et al. The effects of the dentifrice containing salt, sage il and hydroxyapatite on gingivits and dentin hypersensitivity. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2000;24(1):13-19.
- Jang JH. The effect of dentifrice containing garlic extract on dental plaque and gingivitis. J Korean Acad Dental Hygiene Education 2008;18(2):67-75.
- Gjermo P, Rolla G. The plaque inhibition effect of chlorhexidine containing dentifrice. Scan J Dent Res 1971;79(2):126-132.
- Ciancio SG. Agents for the management of plaque and gingivitis. J Dent Res 1992;71(7):1450-1454. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345920710071701
- Sato S, Yoshinuma N, Ito K, et al. The inhibitory effect of funoran and eucalyptus extract-containing chewing gum on plaque formation. J Oral Sci 1998;40(3):115-117. https://doi.org/10.2334/josnusd.40.115
- Matsumoto M, Minami T, Sasaki H, et al. Inhibitory effects of oolong tea extract on caries-inducing properties of mutans streptococci. Caries Res 1999;33(6):441-445. https://doi.org/10.1159/000016549
- Koo H, Cury JA, Rosalen PL, et al. Effect of a mouthrinse containing selected propolis on 3-day dental plaque accumulation and polysaccharide formation. Caries Res 2002;36(6):445-448. https://doi.org/10.1159/000066535
- Duarte S, Koo H, Bowen WH, et al. Effect of a novel type of propolis and its chemical fractions on glucosytranferases and on growth and adhernce of mutans streptoccci. Biol Pharm Bull 2003;26(4):527-531. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.26.527
- Bae KH, Lee BJ, Jang YK, et al. The effect of mouthrinse products containing sodium fluoride, cetylpyrididium chloride(CPC), pine leaf extracts and green tea extracts on the plaque, gingivitis, dental caries and halitosis. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2001;25(1):347-355.
- Hong SJ, Choi EG, Lim HS, Shon JB, Jeong SS. Effect of herbal dentifrice on dental plaque and gingivitis. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2001;25(4):347-355.
- Kim BI, Kim SN, Chang SY, et al. A highly selective antibacterial effect of Curcuma xanthorrhiza extract against oral pathogens and clinical effectiveness of a dentifrice containing Curcuma xanthorrhiza extract for controlling bad breath. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2005;29(2):222-237.
- Hong JY, Kim SN, Ha WH, et al. Suppressive effect of Curcuma xanthorrhiza oil on plaque and gingivitis J Periodontal Implant Sci 2005;35(4):1053-1071.
- Scheie AA. Modes of action of currently known chemical antiplaque agents other than chlorhexidine. J Dent Res 1989;68:1609-1616.
- Kim TI, Yeom HR, Ryu IC, Bae KH, Chung CH. Clinical and microbiological study on the effect of Magnoliae cortex and Ginkgo biloba extracts containing dentifrice in gingivitis. J Periodontal Implant Sci 1996;26(2):542-556.
- Cho MJ, Hong SJ, Choi CH, Jeong SS. Effects of dentifrice containing extract of Galla Rhois or Psoralea corylifolia on inhibition of plaque formation. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2005;29(2):141-152.
- Hong JY. Herb in Korea: Garlic and Ginger. Occupational Health 2004;6:35-40.
- Lawson LD. The composition and chemistry of garlic cloves and processed garlic. In: Koch HP, Lawson LD eds. Garlic. The science and therapeutic application of allium sativum L. and related species. Baltimore:Williams & Willkins; 1996:37-107.
- Taso S, Yin M. In vitro activity of garlic oil and four diallyl sulphides against antibioticresistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Klebsiella pneumoniae. J Antimicrob Chemother 2001;47(5):665-670. https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/47.5.665
- World Health Organization. Oral health survey: basic methods 4th ed. Geneva:WHO;1997.
- Turesky S, Gilmore ND, Glickman I. Reduced plaque formation by the chlormethyl analogue of vitamin C. J Periodontol 1970;41(1):41-43. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.19184.108.40.206
- Loe H, Silness J. Periodontal disease in pregnancy: I. prevalence and security. Acta Odontol Scand 1963;21:533-551. https://doi.org/10.3109/00016356309011240
- Dorothy AP, Max OS. Plaque control. Clinical Periodontology, 8th ed. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Company; 1996:493-509.
- Johnes AA, Kornman KS, Newbold DA, Manwell MA. Clinical and microbiological effects of controlled-release locally delivered minocycline in periodontitis. J Periodontol 1994;65(11):1058-1066. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.19220.127.116.118
- Jo JS. Food materials. Seoul: Gijeunyungusa; 1990:154-155.
- Cavallito CJ, Buck JS, Suter CM. Alliin the antibacterial principle of Allium sativum. II. determination of the chemical structure. J Am Chem Soc 1944;66:7-12. https://doi.org/10.1021/ja01229a003
- Kim KJ, Do JR, Kim HK. Antimicrobial, antihypertensive and anticancer activities of garlic extracts. Korean J Food Sci Technol 2005;37(2):228-232.
- Shin DB, Seog HM, Kim JH, Lee YC. Flavor composition of garlic from different area. Korean J Food Sci Technol 1999;31(2):293-300.
- Saleem ZM, Al-Delaimy KS. Inhibition of Bacillus cereus by garlic extracts. J Food Prot 1982;45:1007. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-45.11.1007
- Hillam DG, Hull PS. The influence of experimental gingivitis on plaque formation. J Clin Periodontol 1977;4(1):56-61. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.1977.tb01883.x
- Mallatt ME, Beiswanger BB, Drook CA, et al. Clinical effect of a sanguinaria dentifrice on plaque and gingivitis in adults. J Periodontol 1989;60(2):91-95. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.1918.104.22.168
- Denepitiya JL, Fine D, Singh S, et al. Effect upon plaque formation and gingivitis of a triclosan/copolymer/fluoride dentifrice: a 6-month clinical study. Am J Dent 1992;5(6):307-311.
- Mankodi S, Walker C, Conforti N, et al. Clinical effect of a triclosan-containing dentifrice on plaque and gingivitis: a six-month study. Clin Prev Dent 1992;14(6):4-10.
- Ramberg P, Furuichi Y, Sherl D, et al. The effect of triclosan on developing gingivitis. J Clin Periodontol 1995;22(6):442-448. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.1995.tb00175.x
- Hong SJ, Choi EG, Son JB, Jeong SS. Clinical effects of herbal extract containing dentifrice on the dental plaque and gingivitis. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2000;24(2):171-183.
- Association of Food and Nutrient Intakes with Periodontitis by Smoking Status among Korean Adults vol.19, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2014.19.1.84
- Influences of stress and fatigue on periodontal health indicators in patients with periodontal disease vol.16, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.02.225
- Residue by elapsed time of non-enzymatic antioxidants in dentifrice vol.16, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.05.783
- Monitoring of Antimicrobial and Preservatives in Dentifrice vol.31, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13103/JFHS.2016.31.4.272