- Volume 41 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Isolation and Characterization of a Bacteriocin-Producing Lactobacillus sakei B16 from Kimchi
김치에서 박테리오신을 생산하는 Lactobacillus sakei B16의 분리 및 특성 분석
- Ahn, Ji-Eun (Dept. of Food Science & Technology, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Kim, Jin-Kyoung (Dept. of Food Science & Technology, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Lee, Hyeong-Rho (Dept. of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Eom, Hyun-Ju (Dept. of Food Science & Technology, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Han, Nam-Soo (Dept. of Food Science & Technology, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2012.02.09
- Accepted : 2012.03.05
- Published : 2012.05.31
Lactic acid bacteria (LAB) are able to secrete antimicrobial peptides called bacteriocins, which inhibit other bacteria such as pathogenic microorganisms. Therefore, bacteriocin-producing starters can be used as natural biopreservatives for various foods. The objective of this study was to screen and characterize bacteriocin-producing LAB from Kimchi and to investigate their applicability as a starter in Kimchi fermentation. To screen bacteriocin-producing LAB, gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria were used as indicators. To measure the antimicrobial activities of isolates, agar well diffusion assay method was used. According to the results, bacteriocin produced by
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Kim HK, Lee KH, Kim JH. 2004. Bacteriocins produced by lactic acid bacteria isolated from Kimchi. J Agric Life Sci 38: 15-24.
- Zendo T, Yoneyama F, Sonomoto K. 2010. Lactococcal membrane-permeabilizing antimicrobial peptides. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 88: 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-010-2764-3
- Nissen-Meyer J, Oppegard C, Rogne P, Haugen HS, Kristiansen PE. 2010. Structure and mode-of-action of the two-peptide (Class-IIb) bacteriocins. Probiotics Antimicro Prot 2: 52-60. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12602-009-9021-z
- Cleveland J, Montville TJ, Nes IF, Chikindas ML. 2001. Bacteriocins: safe, natural antimicrobials for food preservation. Int J Food Microbiol 71: 1-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1605(01)00560-8
- Drider D, Fimland G, Hechard Y, McMullen LM, Prevost H. 2006. The continuing story of class IIa bacteriocins. Microbiol Mol Biol Rev 70: 564-582. https://doi.org/10.1128/MMBR.00016-05
- Hata T, Tanaka R, Ohmomo S. 2010. Isolation and characterization of plantaricin ASM1: a new bacteriocin produced by Lactobacillus plantarum A-1. Int J Food Microbiol 137: 94-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2009.10.021
- Alverez-Cisneros YM, Fernandez FJ, Wacher-Rodarte C, Aguilar MB, Sainz Espunes Tdel R, Ponce-Alquicira E. 2010. Biochemical characterization of a bacteriocin-like inhibitory substance produced by Enterococcus faecium MXVK29, isolated from mexican traditional sausage. J Sci Food Agric 14: 2475-2481.
- Devi SM, Halami PM. 2011. Detection and characterization of pediocin PA-1/AcH like bacteriocin producing lactic acid bacteria. Curr Microcbiol 63: 181-185. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00284-011-9963-8
- Kim JH. 1995. Inhibition of Listeria monosytogenes by bacteriocin(s) from lactic acid bacteria isolated from Kimchi. Agric Chem Biotechnol 38: 302-307.
- Chang JY, Lee HJ, Chang HC. 2007. Identification of the agent from Lactobacillus plantarum KFRI464 that enhances bacteriocin production by Leuconostoc citreum GJ7. J Appl Microbiol 103: 2504-2515. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.2007.03543.x
- Lim, SM, Im DS. 2009. Screening and characterization of probiotic lactic acid bacteria isolated from Korean fermented foods. J Microbiol Biotechnol 19: 178-186. https://doi.org/10.4014/jmb.0804.269
- Eom HJ, Park JM, Seo MJ, Kim MD, Han NS. 2008. Monitoring of Leuconostoc mesenteroides DRC starter in fermented vegetable by random integration of chloramphenicol acetyltransferase gene. J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 35: 935-939.
- Chang JY, Chang HC. 2010. Improvements in the quality and shelf life of Kimchi by fermentation with the induced bacteriocin-producing strain Leuconostoc citreum GJ7 as a starter. J Food Sci 75: 103-110.
- Eom HJ, Seo DM, Han NS. 2007. Selection of psychrotrophic Leuconostoc spp. producing highly active dextransucrase from lactate fermented vegetables. Int J Food Microbiol 10: 61-67.
- Shin MS, Han SK, Ryu JS, Lee WK. 2008. Isolation and partial characterization of a bacteriocin produced by Pediococcus pentosaceus K23-2 isolated from Kimchi. J Appl Mircobiol 105: 331-339.
- Urso R, Rantsiou K, Cantoni C, Comi G, Cocolin L. 2006. Sequencing and experssion analysis of the sakacin P bacteriocin produced by a Lactobacillus sakei strain isolated from naturally fermented sausages. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 71: 480-485. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-005-0172-x
- Xiraphi N, Georgalaki M, Rantsiou K, Cocolin L, Tsakalidou E, Drosinos EH. 2008. Purification and characterization of a bacteriocin produced by Leuconostoc mesenteroides E131. Meat Sci 80: 194-203. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.11.020
- Acute Toxicity of Crude Anti-fungal Compounds Produced by Lactobacillus plantarum AF1 vol.42, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.6.892
- Purification and Characterization of the Bacteriocin Produced by Lactococcus sp. KD 28 Isolated from Kimchi vol.25, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2015.25.2.180
- Antibacterial activity of supernatant obtained from Weissella koreensis and Lactobacillus sakei on the growth of pathogenic bacteria vol.43, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7744/kjoas.20160044