- Volume 14 Issue 1
Purpose: The purposes of this study were to identify the effect of music therapy on the physiologic index, anxiety and dyspnea of patients who are weaning from mechanical ventilators, and to compare the effects between western and Korean traditional music. Methods: The research format is repeated measures design. The subject group consisted of 21 patients being weaned from mechanical ventilators in a tertiary general hospital in Seoul. Each patient randomly received western music, rest, and Korean traditional music. Western and Korean traditional music were played on an MP3 head phone for 30 minutes. Patients get 30 minutes of rest between the 2 music styles and the rest period. Physiological indices, anxiety and dyspnea were measured before and after patients listened to both styles of music and the rest period. Anxiety and dyspnea were measured with a visual analogue scale. Results: Respiratory rates (RR), rapid shallow breath indexes (RSBI), anxiety and dyspnea decreased, and tidal volume (TV) increased after listening to Western and Korean tradition music in patients weaning from mechanical ventilators. Compared to western music, Korean traditional music yielded significant decreases in RR, RSBI, anxiety and dyspnea, and an increase of TV. Conclusion: Western and Korean traditional music would decrease RR, RSBI, anxiety and dyspnea and increase TV of patients who are weaning from mechanical ventilators. The effects are more pronounced in patients listening to Korean traditional music compared to western music.
음악요법;인공호흡기 이탈기;생리적 지수;불안;호흡곤란
- Almerud, S., & Petersson, K. (2003). Music therapy-a complementary treatment for mechanically ventilated intensive care patients. Intensive and Critical Care Nursing, 19, 21-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0964-3397(02)00118-0
- Aldridge, D. (1993). The music of the body: Music therapy in medical settings. The Journal of Mind-Body Health. 9(1), 17-35.
- Altose, M. (1985). Assessment and management of breathlessness. Chest, 88(2), 77-83. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.88.2_Supplement.77S
- American Music Therapy Association. (2005). Frequently asked questions about music therapy. Retrieved December 1, 2007 from http://www.musictherapy.org/faqs.html.
- Ayalon, L. (2007). The potential role of dependency in the weaning process: The case of a 57-year-old woman connected to a mechanical ventilator. Clinical Case Studies, 6, 459-467. https://doi.org/10.1177/1534650107296819
- Blackwood, B., Alderdice, F., Burns, K. E. A., Cardwell, C. R., Lavery, G., & O'Halloran, P. (2010). Protocolized versus non-protocolized weaning for reducing the duration of mechanical ventilation in critically ill adult patients (Review). The Cochrane Library, issue 7.
- Bouely, G. H., Froman, R., & Shah, H. (1992). The experience of dyspnea during weaning. Heart Lung, 21, 471-476.
- Chlan, L. L. (1995). Psychophysiologic responses of mechanically ventilated patients to music: A pilot study. American Journal of Critical Care, 4, 233-238.
- Chlan, L. L. (1998). Effectiveness of a music-therapy intervention on relaxation and anxiety for patients receiving ventilator assistance. Heart & Lung, 27, 169-176. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0147-9563(98)90004-8
- Chlan, L. L. (2000). Music therapy as a nursing intervention for patients supported by mechanical ventilation. Advanced Practice in Acute and Critical Care, 11, 128-138. https://doi.org/10.1097/00044067-200002000-00014
- Chlan, L. L., Engeland, W. C., Anthony, A., & Guttormson, J. (2007). Influence of music on the stress response in patients receiving mechanical ventilator support: A pilot study. American Journal of Critical Care, 16(2), 141-145.
- Chlan, L., & Tracy, M. F. (1999). Music therapy in critical care : Indications and guidelines for intervention. Critical Care Nurse, 19(3), 35-41.
- Cline, M. E., Herman, J., Show, E. R., & Morton, R. D. (1992). Standardization of the visual analogue scale. Nursing Research, 41, 378-380.
- Davis, W. B., Gfeller, K. E., & Thaut, M. H. (2008). An introduction to music therapy theory and practice (3rd ed.). Silver Spring, MD: American Music Therapy Association, Inc.
- Haas, F., Distenfeld, S., & Axen, K. (1986). Effects of perceived musical rhythm on respiratory pattern. Journal of Applied Physiology, 61, 1185-1191. https://doi.org/10.1152/jappl.19188.8.131.525
- Han, L., Li, J. P., Sit, J., Chung, L., Jiao, Z. Y., & Ma, W. G. (2010). Effects of music intervention on physiological stress response and anxiety level of mechanically ventilated patients in China: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 19, 978-987. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2009.02845.x
- Hess, D., & Kacmarek, R. M. (2002). Essential of mechanical ventilation (2nd ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Jaber, S., Bahloul, H., Guetin, S., Chanques, G., Sebbane, M., & Eledjam, J. J. (2007). Effects of music therapy in intensive care unit without sedation in weaning patients versus non-ventilated patients. Annales Francaises D Anesthesis Et De Reanimation, 26(1), 30-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annfar.2006.09.002
- Kim, Y. K. (2010). The Mozart Effect. Unpublished master's thesis. Korea University, Seoul.
- Lee, M. H. (2003). An introduction to Fundamentals of nursing. Seoul: Jungdam media.
- Lee, O. K. A., Chung, Y. F. L., Chan, M. F., & Chan, W. M. (2005). Music and its effect on the physiological responses and anxiety levels of patients receiving mechanical ventilation: A pilot study. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 14, 609-620. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2004.01103.x
- Lee, S. C., Kwun, D. W., Baek, I. H., & Hwang, H. J. (1994). An introduction of traditional Korean music in plain words. Cheongwon-Gun: The society of study for Korean Music Education.
- Lindgren, V. A., & Ames, N. J. (2005). Caring for patients on mechanical ventilation: What research indicates is best practice. American Journal of Nursing, 105(5), 50-60.
- Mancebo, J. (1996). Weaning froming mechanical ventilation. European Respiratory Journal, 9, 1923-1931. https://doi.org/10.1183/09031936.96.09091923
- Ramsay, M. A. E., Savege, T. M., Simpson, B. R. J., & Goodwin, R. (1974). Controlled sedation with alpaxalone-alphadolone. British Medical Journal, 2, 656-659. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.2.5920.656
- Spielberger, C. D. (1972). Anxiety current trends in theory and research, 1, New York: Academic Press, 23-46.
- Thomas, L. A. (2003). Clinical Management of stressors perceived by patients on mechanical ventilation. AACN Clinical Issues: Advanced Practice in Acute and Critical Care, 14, 73-81. https://doi.org/10.1097/00044067-200302000-00009
- White, J. M. (2000). State of the science of music interventions. Critical care and perioperative practice. Critical Care Nursing Clinics of North America, 12, 219-225.
- Wong, H. L., Lopes-Nahas, V., & Molassiotis, A. (2001). Effects of music therapy on anxiety in ventilator-dependent patients. Heart & Lung, 30, 376-387. https://doi.org/10.1067/mhl.2001.118302