- Volume 8 Issue 2
Road Dust Emissions from Paved Roads Measured by Road Dust Monitoring Vehicle and Analysis of Trace Elements
도로 재비산먼지 이동측정차량을 이용한 도로 재비산먼지 측정과 도로먼지 미량원소 분석
- Lee, Myung-Hwoon (Department of Air pollution Management, Korea Environment Corporation) ;
- Shin, Jung-Sub (Department of Air pollution Management, Korea Environment Corporation) ;
- Shin, Won-Geun (Department of Air pollution Management, Korea Environment Corporation) ;
- Lee, Sang-Gu (Department of Air pollution Management, Korea Environment Corporation) ;
- Kim, Cheong (Department of Air pollution Management, Korea Environment Corporation) ;
- Lee, Chang (Department of Air pollution Management, Korea Environment Corporation)
- 이명훈 (한국환경공단 대기관리처) ;
- 신정섭 (한국환경공단 대기관리처) ;
- 신원근 (한국환경공단 대기관리처) ;
- 이상구 (한국환경공단 대기관리처) ;
- 김종 (한국환경공단 대기관리처) ;
- 이창 (한국환경공단 대기관리처)
- Published : 2012.06.30
Paved road dust emissions were investigated 14 times on 12 main roads in Seo-Cho Gu, Seoul, Korea by vehicle-based mobile sampling system(Road Dust Monitoring System) during September to December 2011. Also, fourteen heavy metals present in the dust samples were analyzed by ICP. ICP analysis showed that one of major source of the road dust would be urban construction. A large amount of silt was found, which might be originated mainly from building construction and open beds of trees. Trace element and pollution indices of heavy metals(Cd, Cu, Ni, Pb, Zn) on the roads adjacent to the commercial area had higher concentrations than those on the roads adjacent to the construction and residential areas because of traffic density and heavy traffic.
- Korea Meteorological Administration, 2011, http://www.kma.go.kr/weather/observation/currentweather.jsp.
- Song, H. B., Lee, E. Y., Do, H. S., Jung, C. S., Shin, D. C., Lee, M. S., Pack, Y. K., Jeon, S. S., Shin W. S. (2007). Trace Elements and Source Assessment of Street Dust in Daegu, Korea, Journal of Korea Society of Environmental Engineers, 29(7), 793-800.
- Jung, Y. W., Han, S. H., Won, K. H., Jang, K. W., Hong, J. H. (2006), Present Status of Emission Estimation Methods of Resuspended Dusts form Paved Roads, Journal of Korea Society of Environmental Engineers, 28(11), 1126- 1132.
- Ministry of Environment(2005), A Study on the Development of Air Emission Inventory and Factor and the Estimation Methodology of Emissions, Final Report.Ministry of Environment(2012), Soil Environment Conservation Act.
- Ministry of Environment(2006), Soil Environment Conservation Act.
- EPA Emission factor documentation for AP-42: Section 13.2.1 Paved roads, U.S. Environmental Ptotection Agency(1993). Contract No. 68-DO-0123m MRI Project No. 9712-9744.
- Fergusson, J. E. and Kim, N. D. (1991). Trace elements in street and house dusts : sources and speciation, Sci. of the total Environ., 100, 125-150. https://doi.org/10.1016/0048-9697(91)90376-P
- Kloke, A, (1979). Content of arsenic, cadmium, chromium, fluorine, lead, mercury and nickel in plant growth on contaminated soil, Paper presented on United Nations-ECE Symposium, 1-180.
- Kuhns, H., V. Etyemezian, D. Landwehr, C. acDougall, M. Pitechford, and M. Green (2001). Testing re-entrained aerosol kinetic emissions from roads(TRAKER): a new approach to infer silt loading on roadways, Atmospheric Environment, 35(16), 2815-2825. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1352-2310(01)00079-6
- Langston R., R.S. Merle Jr, D. Hart, V. Etyemezian, H. Kuhns, J. Giles, D. Fitz, K. Bumiller, and D. James (2007), The preferred alternative method for measuring paved road dust emissions for emissions inventories: Mobile technologies vs. the traditional AP-42 methodology, 16th Annual International Emission Inventory Conference, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Raleigh, NC, May 15-17 USA.
- Nicholson, K.W. and Branson, J.R. (1990). Factors affecting resuspension by road traffic, The Science of the Total Environmental, 93, 349-358. https://doi.org/10.1016/0048-9697(90)90126-F
- Schauer, J.J., Lough, G.C., Shafer, M.M., Christensen, W., Arndt, M.F., DeMinter, J.T., Park, J.S. (2006). Characterization of Metals Emitted from Motor Vehicles. Research Report 133. Health Effects institute, Boston MA.
- Schmel, G.A. (1973). Particle resuspension from an asphalt road cause by car and truck traffic, Atmospheric Environmental, 7, 291-301. https://doi.org/10.1016/0004-6981(73)90078-4
- Thrope, A.J. and Harroson, R.M. (2008). Sources and properties of non-exhaust particulate matter from road traffic: A review, Science of The Total Environment, 400(1-3), 270-282 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2008.06.007
- Watson, J.G., Chow, J.C. and Pace, T.G. (2000). Fugitive sydt emission. In: W.T. Davis, Editor, Air Pollution Engineering Manual, Wiley, New York, 117-135.