- Volume 56 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Relationship between Students' Out-of-school Science Experience and Their View on the Nature of Science
학생들의 학교 밖 과학 경험과 과학의 본성에 대한 견해 사이의 관계
- Received : 2012.05.01
- Accepted : 2012.05.16
- Published : 2012.06.20
In this study, the relationship between students' out-of-school science experience and their view on the nature of science was investigated. The participants were 267 sixth graders, 281 eighth graders, and 307 tenth graders from schools in Seoul. A test of views on the nature of science which consists of five items concerning the purpose of science, the definition of scientific theory, the nature of scientific model, the tentativeness of scientific theory, and the origin of scientific theory was administered. Students' out-of-school science experiences were measured with a subscale of the modified Science Experience Survey consisting of seven items. The results indicated that no statistically significant relationship was found between students' out-of-school science experience and their view on the nature of science in sixth graders. In eighth graders, high level students in terms of out-of-school science experiences were found to possess more contemporarily epistemological view in the item concerning the nature of scientific model but more falsificationist view in the item concerning the tentativeness of scientific theory. High level tenth graders in terms of out-of-school science experiences exhibited more epistemologically sophisticated understandings of the nature of science than their counterparts in the items concerning the purpose of science, the definition of scientific theory, and the nature of scientific model.
Out-of-school science experience;Nature of science;Elementary school student;Middle school student;High school student
- Meichtry, Y. J. Journal of Research in Science Teaching 1992, 29(4), 389. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.3660290407
- Ministry of Education, Science and Technology Science Curriculum; Ministry of Education, Science and Technology: Seoul, 2011.
- Noh, T.; Kim, Y.; Han, S.; Kang, S. J. Korea Assoc. Sci. Edu. 2002, 22(4), 882.
- Akerson, V.; Donnelly, L. A. International Journal of Science Education 2010, 32(1), 97. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500690902717283
- Kang, S.; Scharmann, L. C.; Noh, T. Science Education 2004, 89(2), 314.
- Moss, D. M.; Abrams, M. D.; Kull, J. A. Journal of Science Education and Technology 1998, 7(2), 149. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1022564507639
- Abd-El-Khalick, F.; Lederman, N. G. International Journal of Science Education 2000, 22(7), 665. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500690050044044
- Akerson, V. L.; Abd-El-Khalick, F.; Lederman, N. G. Journal of Research in Science Teaching 2000, 37(4), 295. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-2736(200004)37:4<295::AID-TEA2>3.0.CO;2-2
- Kim, K.; Noh, J.; Seo, I.; Noh, T. J. Korea Assoc. Sci. Edu. 2008, 28(1), 89.
- Kim, J.-N.; Kim, S.-K.; Kim, D.-U.; Kim, H.-K.; Paik, S.-H. Elementary Science Education 2008, 27(3), 261.
- Bang, M.; Kim, H.-N. Elementary Science Education 2010, 29(3), 277.
- Akerson, V. L.; Volrich, M. L. Journal of Research in Science Teaching 2006, 43(4), 377. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.20132
- Khishfe, R.; Abd-El-Khalick, F. Journal of Research in Science Teaching 2002, 39(7), 551. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.10036
- Noh, T.; Kang, S.; Lee, S. Journal of the College of Education, Seoul National University 1997, 55, 89.
- Newton, L. D.; Newton, D. P. International Journal of Science Education 1998, 20(9), 1137. https://doi.org/10.1080/0950069980200909
- Song, J.; Kim, K. S. International Journal of Science Education 1999, 21(9), 957. https://doi.org/10.1080/095006999290255
- Robottom, I. The Australian Science Teachers Journal 1992, 38(2), 19.
- Aikenhead, G. S. Journal of Research in Science Teaching 1988, 25(8), 607. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.3660250802
- Wellington, J. Physics Education 1990, 25(5), 247. https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9120/25/5/307
- Schibeci, R. A. Science Education 1989, 73(1), 13. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.3730730103
- Wellington, J. International Journal of Science Education 1991, 13(4), 363. https://doi.org/10.1080/0950069910130401
- National Science Foundation Elementary, secondary, and informal education program announcement and guidelines; National Science Foundation: Washington, D.C., 1998.
- Pedretti, E. Studies in Science Education 2002, 37(1), 1.
- Bell, P.; Lewenstein, B.; Shouse, A. W.; Feder, M. A. Learning science in informal environments: People, places, and pursuits; National Academic Press: Washington, D.C., 2009.
- Lederman, N. G. Journal of Research in Science Teaching 1992, 29(4), 331. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.3660290404
- Mason, C. L.; Kahle, J. B. Journal of Research in Science Teaching 1988, 26(1), 25.
- Farenga, S. J.; Joyce, B. A. Education 1997, 117(4), 563.
- Ryan, A. G.; Aikenhead, G. S. Science Education 1992, 76(6), 559. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.3730760602
- Duschl, R. A. Restructuring science education: The importance of theories and their development; Teachers College Press: New York, 1990.
- Grosslight, L.; Unger, C.; Jay, E.; Smith, C. L. Journal of Research in Science Teaching 1991, 28(9), 799. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.3660280907
- Solomon, J.; Scott, L.; Duveen, J. Science Education 1996, 80(5), 493. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-237X(199609)80:5<493::AID-SCE1>3.0.CO;2-6
- Elder, A. D. Characterizing fifth-grade students' epistemological beliefs in science. In Personal epistemology: The psychology of beliefs about knowledge and knowing; Hofer, B. K.; Pintrich, P. R., Eds.; Lawrence Erlbaum Associates: Mahwah, 2002; pp 347-363.
- Tamir, P. Research in Science and Technological Education 1994, 12(2), 99. https://doi.org/10.1080/0263514940120201
- Lederman, N. G.; O'Malley, M. Science Education 1990, 74(2), 225. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.3730740207
- Stein, S. J.; McRobbie, C. J. Research in Science Education 1997, 27(4), 611. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02461484
- Martin, L. M. W. Science Education 2004, 88 (Suppl. 1), S71. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.20020
- Kim, C.; Shin, M.; Lee, S. Understanding informal science learning; Bookshill: Seoul, 2010.
Supported by : 전주교육대학교