- Volume 47 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Chemical Recycling Technology from Polyester Wastes
폴리에스터 폐자원의 화학적 재활용기술
- Han, Myung-Wan (Department of Chemical Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Kang, Kyung-Suk (Siontech) ;
- Song, Jae-Kyung (Siontech)
- Received : 2012.05.09
- Accepted : 2012.05.23
- Published : 2012.06.30
This paper reviews recent technologies for recycling poly (ethylene terephthalate) wastes. Wide application and non-biodegradability of the PET creates huge amounts of waste and disposal, leading to an environmental problem and economic loss. Chemical recycling can be a promising technology to deal with these problems by converting the waste into useful feedstock material for polyester production. Chemical recycling of polyethylene terephthalate are processes where the PET polymer chain is destructed by the impact of glycol (MEG) causing glycolysis, methanol causing methanolysis or water causing hydrolysis. After intensive purification polyester oligomers or the monomers MEG, dimethyl telephthalate (DMT) or purified terephthalic acid (PTA) are received which are re-used to produce polyester products.
Supported by : 환경부
- M. Goto, H. Koyamoto, A. Kodama, T. Hiose, S. Nagaoka, and B. J. McCoy, Degradation kinetics of polyethylene terephthalate in supercritical methanol, AIChE, 48, 136 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1002/aic.690480114
- Hideki Kurokawa, Masa-aki Ohshima, and Kazuo Sugiyama; Hiroshi Miura, "Methanolysis of polyethylene terephthlate in the presence of aluminium isopropoxide catalyst to form dimethyl terephthalate and ethylene glycol", Polymer Degradation and Stability, 79, 529 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-3910(02)00370-1
- Wan, B.Z., Kao, C.Y., and Cheng, W.-H., "Kinetics of depolymerization of poly(ethylene terephthalate) in a potassium hydroxide solution", Ind. Eng. Chem., 40, 509 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1021/ie0005304
- Daniel, P. and Tadeusz, S., "Chemical recycling of poly(ethylene terephthalate)", Ind. & Eng. Chem. Res., 36, 1373 (1997).
- Vaidya, U. R. and Nadkarni, V. M., "polyester Polyols for polyurethanes from PET wastes", J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 35, 775 (1988). https://doi.org/10.1002/app.1988.070350317
- Brown, G. E., Jr.; O'Brien, R. C., "Mothod for recovering terephthalic acid and ethylene glycol from polyester materials", U.S. Patent No. 3,952,053 (1976).
- Mandoki, J. W., "Depolymerization of condensation polymers", U.S. Patent No. 4,605,762 (1986).
- Gamble, W. J, Naujoksa A. A, and Debrum B. R., "Process of recovering components from scrap polyester", U.S. Patent, 298,530 (1994).
- Launay, A., Thominette, F., and Verdu, J., "Hydrolysis of poly(ethylene terephthalate): a kinetic study", Polym. Degrad. Stab., 46, 319 (1994). https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-3910(94)90148-1
- Campanelli, J. R., Kamal, M. R., and Cooper, D. G., "A kinetic study of the hydrolytic degradation of polyethylene terephthalate at high temperatures", J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 48, 443 (1993). https://doi.org/10.1002/app.1993.070480309
- R. D. Leaversugh, Modern Plastics, 40, 26 (1991).
- 한명완 외, 대한민국특허 등록 10-0846316 (2008.7.9), 10-0837781(2008.6.5), 10-0539285(2005.12.21)
- 吉岡敏明, 화학공업, 48, 313 (1997).
- Ulich Thiele, "Paradigm shift in polyester recycling from second grade replacements to green labels and virgin products cost cutting" 3rd China Int'l Recycled Polyester Fiber Market & Tech Forum Sep 5-7, 2007, Hangzhou, China.