- Volume 7 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Optimal Particle Swarm Based Placement and Sizing of Static Synchronous Series Compensator to Maximize Social Welfare
Hajforoosh, Somayeh;Nabavi, Seyed M.H.;Masoum, Mohammad A.S.
- Received : 2011.07.26
- Accepted : 2012.05.19
- Published : 2012.07.01
Social welfare maximization in a double-sided auction market is performed by implementing an aggregation-based particle swarm optimization (CAPSO) algorithm for optimal placement and sizing of one Static Synchronous Series Compensator (SSSC) device. Dallied simulation results (without/with line flow constraints and without/with SSSC) are generated to demonstrate the impact of SSSC on the congestion levels of the modified IEEE 14-bus test system. The proposed CAPSO algorithm employs conventional quadratic smooth and augmented quadratic nonsmooth generator cost curves with sine components to improve the accurate of the model by incorporating the valve loading effects. CAPSO also employs quadratic smooth consumer benefit functions. The proposed approach relies on particle swarm optimization to capture the near-optimal GenCos and DisCos, as well as the location and rating of SSSC while the Newton based load flow solution minimizes the mismatch equations. Simulation results of the proposed CAPSO algorithm are compared to solutions obtained by sequential quadratic programming (SQP) and a recently implemented Fuzzy based genetic algorithm (Fuzzy-GA). The main contributions are inclusion of customer benefit in the congestion management objective function, consideration of nonsmooth generator characteristics and the utilization of a coordinated aggregation-based PSO for locating/sizing of SSSC.
Congestion management;Social welfare;SSSC;CAPSO;GA and fuzzy
- D. Shirmohammadi, B. Wollenberg, A. Vojdani, P. Sandrin, M. Pereira, F. Rahimi, T. Schneider and B. Stott, "Transmission dispatch and congestion management in the emerging energy market structures", IEEE Transactions Power Systems., vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 1466-1474, Nov. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.736292
- J. Hazra and A.K. Sinha, "Congestion management using multi objective particle swarm optimization", IEEE Transactions Power Systems, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 1726-1734, Nov. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2007.907532
- S.M.H. Nabavi, S. Jadid, M.A.S. Masoum and A. Kazemi, "Congestion management in nodal pricing with genetic algorithm", International Conference on Power Electronics, Drives and Energy Syst., PEDES '06, pp. 1-5, 12-15 Dec. 2006.
- C.Z. Karatekin and C. Uçak, "Sensitivity analysis based on transmission line susceptances for congestion management", Electric Power Systems Research, vol. 78, no. 9, pp. 1485-1493, Sept. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2008.01.011
- J. D. Weber and T. J. Overbye, "An individual welfare maximization algorithm for electricity markets," IEEE Transactions Power Systems, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 590-596, Aug. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2002.800899
- L, Hongrui, S. Yanfang, Z.B. Zabinsky, L. Chen- Ching, A. Courts and J. Sung-Kwan, "Social welfare maximization in transmission enhancement considering network congestion", IEEE Transactions Power Systems, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 1105-1114, Aug. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2008.926717
- K. Singh, N.P. Padhy and J.D. Sharma, "Social welfare maximization considering reactive power and congestion management in the deregulated environment", Electric Power Components and System, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 50-71, 2010.
- S. Gerbex, R. Cherkaoui and A.J. Germond, "Optimal location of multitype FACTS devices in a power system by means of genetic algorithms", IEEE Transactions Power System, vol. 16, pp. 537-544, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.932292
- K.S. Verma, S.N. Singh and H.O. Gupta, "Location of unified power flow controller for congestion management", Electric Power Systems Research, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 89-96, 21 June 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7796(01)00123-7
- N. Acharya and N. Mithulananthan, "Locating series FACTS devices for congestion management in deregulated electricity markets", Electric Power Systems Research, vol. 77, pp. 352-360, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2006.03.016
- N. Mithulananthan and N. Acharya, "A proposal for investment recovery of FACTS devices in deregulated electricity markets", Electric Power Systems Research, vol. 77, no. 5-6, pp. 695-703, April 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2006.06.007
- S.N. Singh and A.K. David, "Optimal location of FACTS devices for congestion management", Electric Power Systems Research, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 71-79, 21 June 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7796(01)00087-6
- G.B. Shrestha and W. Feng, "Effects of series compensation on spot price power markets", Electric Power Systems Research, vol. 27, pp. 428-436, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2005.03.001
- K.S. Verma, and H.O. Gupta, "Impact on real and reactive power pricing in open power market using unified power flow controller", IEEE Transactions Power System, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 365-371, Feb. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2005.857829
- S. Bruno and M. LaScala, "Unified power flow controllers for security constrained transmission management", IEEE Transactions Power Syst., pp. 418-426, 18 February 2004.
- X. Zhang, C. Rehtanz, B. Pal, "Flexible AC Transmission Systems: Modelling and Control", Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2006.
- M.R. AlRashidi and M.E. El-Hawary, "Hybrid particle swarm optimization approach for solving the discrete OPF problem considering the valve loading effects", IEEE Transactions Power System, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 2030-2038, Nov. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2007.907375
- M. Sarvi, M. Sedighizadeh and J. Qarebaghi, Optimal location and parameters setting of UPFC based on particle swarm optimization for increasing loadability", International Review of Electrical Engineering (IREE), vol. 5, no. 5, Part B, pp. 2234-2240, September- October, 2010.
- J. Moshtagh, A. Jalali and K. Karimizadeh, "Optimum placement and sizing of DG using binary PSO algorithm to achieve the minimum electricity cost for consumers", International Review of Electrical Engineering (IREE), vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 2873-2881, 2010.
- J.B. Park, K.S.L.J.R. Shin and K.Y. Lee, "A particle swarm optimization for economic dispatch with nonsmooth cost functions", IEEE Trans. Power Systems, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 34-42, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2004.831275
- M, Shiddehpour, H. Yamin and Z.Y. LI, "Market operations in electric power system", New York: Wiley, pp. 477-478, 2002.
- R.D. Zimmerman, C.E. Murillo-Sanchez, and D. Gan, MATPOWER: A Matlab Power System Simulation Package 2006 [Online]. Available: http://www.pserc. cornell.edu/matpower.
- M.A.S. Masoum, S.M.H Nabavi and A. Kazemi, "Social welfare maximization in double-sided auction market by placement and sizing of TCSC using fuzzy-based genetic algorithm", International Review of Electrical Engineering, vol. 5. no. 5, pp. 2392- 2404, Oct. 2010.
- S. M. H. Nabavi, A. Kazemi, M. A. S. Masoum, "Social Welfare Improvement by TCSC using Real Code Based Genetic Algorithm in Double-Sided Auction Market", Advances in Electrical and Computer Engineering, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 99-106, 2011.
- Firefly algorithm for congestion management in deregulated environment vol.19, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jestch.2016.02.001