- Volume 8 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Min-Distance Hop Count based Multi-Hop Clustering In Non-uniform Wireless Sensor Networks
- Received : 2012.02.02
- Accepted : 2012.03.14
- Published : 2012.06.28
In wireless sensor networks, an energy efficient data gathering scheme is one of core technologies to process a query. The cluster-based data gathering methods minimize the energy consumption of sensor nodes by maximizing the efficiency of data aggregation. However, since the existing clustering methods consider only uniform network environments, they are not suitable for the real world applications that sensor nodes can be distributed unevenly. To solve such a problem, we propose a balanced multi-hop clustering scheme in non-uniform wireless sensor networks. The proposed scheme constructs a cluster based on the logical distance to the cluster head using a min-distance hop count. To show the superiority of our proposed scheme, we compare it with the existing clustering schemes in sensor networks. Our experimental results show that our proposed scheme prolongs about 48% lifetime over the existing methods on average.
Non-Uniform Wireless Sensor Networks;Multi-hop Clustering;Energy Efficiency
- D. Estrin, L. Girod, G. Pottie, M. Srivastava, "Instrumenting the World with Wireless Sensor Networks," Proceedings of International Conference Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, pp.2033-2036, 2001.
- G. Kang, D. Seong, J. Yoo, "Multi-Query Processing using the Grid Structure in Wireless Sensor Networks," Journal of KIISE : Computing Practices and Letters(CPL), vol.16, no.11, pp.1086-1090, 2010.
- l. F. Akyildiz, Weilian su, Y. Sankarasubramaniam, E. Cayirci, "A Survey on Sensor Networks," IEEE Communication Magazine, vol.40, no.8, pp.102-114, 2002.
- M. Sharaf, J. Beaver, A.Labrinidis, P. Chrysanthis, "Balanceing Energy Efficiency and Quality of Aggregate Data in Sensor Networks," Journal of Very Large Data Bases, vol.13, no.4, pp.384-403, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00778-004-0138-0
- J. Park, M. Yeo, D. Seong, H. Kwon, H. Lee, J. Yoo, "An Energy-Efficient multiple Path Data Routing Scheme using Virtual Label in Sensor Network," Journal of the Korea Contents Association(JKCA '11), Vol.11, No.7, pp.70-79, 2011.
- M. Jo, D. Seong, J. Park, J. Yoo, "Disjointed Multipath Routing for Real-time Multimedia Data Transmission in Wireless Sensor Networks," Journal of the Korea Contents Association(JKCA '11), Vol.11, No.12, pp.78-87, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.12.078
- W. R. Heinzelman, A. P. Chandrakasan, H. Balakrishnan, "Energy-Efficient Communication Protocol for Wireless Microsensor Networks," Proceeding of the Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, pp.3005-3014, 2000.
- I. Shin, M. Kim, M. W. Mutka, H.Choo, T. Lee, "MCBT: Multi-Hop Cluster Based Stable Backbone Trees for Data Collection and Dissemination in WSNs," Sensors, vol.9, pp.6028-6045, 2009 https://doi.org/10.3390/s90806028
- Y. Wong, J. G. Lim, S. Rao, W. Seah, "Multihop Localization with Density and Path Length Awareness in Non-Uniform Wireless Sensor Networks," Proceedings of the International Symposium on Parallel Architectures Algorithms, and Networks, vol. 4, pp.2551-2555, 2005.
- A. D. Amis, R. Prakash, T. Vuong, D. Huynh, "Max-Min D-Cluster Formation in Wireless Ad-Hoc Networks," Proceedings of Nineteenth Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (IEEE INFOCOM 2000), pp.32-41, 2000.
- W. Heinzelman, "Application-Specific Protocol Architectures for Wireless Networks,"PhD dissertation, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2000.
- X. Tang and J. Xu, "Extending Network Lifetime for Precision-Constrained Data Aggregation in Wireless Sensor Networks," Proc. of the Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (IEEE INFOCOM 2006), pp.1-12, 2006.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea(NRF)