- Volume 25 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Feed Intake, Digestibility, and N Retention in Cattle Fed Rice Straw and Para Grass Combined with Different Levels of Protein Derived from Cassava Foliage
- Sath, K. (Centre for Livestock and Agriculture Development (CelAgrid)) ;
- Sokun, K. (Centre for Livestock and Agriculture Development (CelAgrid)) ;
- Pauly, T. (Department of Animal Nutrition and Management, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU), Kungsangen Research Centre) ;
- Holtenius, K. (Department of Animal Nutrition and Management, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU), Kungsangen Research Centre)
- Received : 2011.12.13
- Accepted : 2012.02.13
- Published : 2012.07.01
Eight male cattle of Local Yellow breed with an average live weight of 121 kg and an average age of 18 months were used to evaluate the effects of different levels of sun-dried cassava foliage supplementation (Manihot esculenta) on intake, digestibility and N retention. Rice straw ad libitum and para grass (Brachiaria mutica) at 1% DM of BW comprised the basal diet. The study was arranged as a
Digestibility;Intake;Cassava Foliage;Rice Straw;Para Grass
- Allen, M. S. 1996. Physical constraints on voluntary intake of forages by ruminants. J. Anim. Sci. 74:3063-3075.
- AOAC. 1990. Official method of analysis. 15th edn, Association of Official Analytical Chemist. edition (Ed. K. Helrick). Arlington p. 1230.
- Borin, K., J. E. Lindberg and R. B. Ogle. 2005. Effect of variety and preservation methods of cassava leaves on diet digestibility by indigenous and improved pigs. Anim. Sci. 80:319-324.
- Borin, K. and B. E. Frankow-Lindberg. 2006. The effects of effluent from biodigesters loaded with pig or cow manures on soil fertility and forage yield of cassava grown as a perennial crop. Biol. Agric. Hortic. 24:91-104. https://doi.org/10.1080/01448765.2006.9755010
- Do, H. Q., V. V. Son, B. P. T. Hang, V. C. Tri and T. R. Preston. 2002. Effect of supplementation of ammoniated rice straw with cassava leaves or grass on intake, digestibility and N retention by goats. Livest. Res. Rural. Dev. 14:1-7.
- Ffoulkes, D. and T. R. Preston. 1977. Cassava or sweet potato forage as combined sources of protein and roughage in molasses based diets: effect of supplementation with soybean meal. Trop. Anim. Prod. 3:186-192.
- Goering, H. and P. Van Soest. 1970. Forage fiber analysis. Agriculture hand book No.379. United State Department of Agriculture, Washington DC, USA.
- Groff, E. B. and Z. Wu. 2005. Milk production and nitrogen excretion of dairy cows fed different amounts of protein and varying proportions of alfalfa and corn silage. J. Dairy Sci. 88:3619-3632. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(05)73047-2
- Hue, K. T., D. T. T. Van, I. Ledin, E. Spörndly and E. Wredle. 2010. Effect of feeding fresh, wilted and sun-dried foliage from cassava (Manihot esculenta Crantz) on the performance of lambs and their intake of hydrogen cyanide. Livst. Sci. 13: 155-161.
- Kaitho, R. J., N. N. Umunna, I. V. Nsahlai, S. Tamminga and J. Van Bruchem. 1998. Effect of feeding graded levels of Leucaena leucocephala, Leucaena pallida, Sesbania sesban and Chamaecytisus palmensis supplements to teff straw given to Ethiopian highland sheep. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 72: 355-366. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(97)00159-4
- Khang, D. N. and H. Wiktorsson. 2006. Performance of growing heifers fed urea treated fresh rice straw supplemented with fresh, ensiled or pelleted cassava foliage. Livst. Sci. 102:130-139. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2005.12.003
- Man, N. V. and H. Wiktorsson. 2001. Cassava tops ensiled with or without molasses as additive effects on quality, feed intake and digestibility by heifers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14:624-630. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2001.624
- McDonald, P., R. A. Edwards, J. E. D. Greenhalgh and C. A. Morgan. 2002. Animal nutrition. 6th ed. Pearson Education Limited. ISBN 0 582 419069: Printed by Ashford Colour Press Ltd., Gosport.
- Merkel, R. C., K. R. Pond, J. C. Burns and D. S. Fisher. 1999. Intake, digestibility and nitrogen utilization of three tropical tree legumes, II As protein supplement. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 82:107-120. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(99)00095-4
- Minitab. 2010. Minitab statistical software, Release 16.1.1 for Window. (Minitab Inc. State College PA, USA)
- Mom, S., T. R Preston, R. A. Leng and U. Meulen. 2001. Response of young cattle fed rice straw to supplementation with cassava foliage and a single drench of cooking oil. Livest. Res. Rural. Dev. 13:1-9.
- Preston, T. R. and R. A. Leng. 1987. Matching ruminant production system with available resource in the tropic and subtropics. Penambul books: armidale, P.O.Box 512, Armidale, New South Wales 2350, Australia.
- Reed, J. D., H. Soller and A. Woodward. 1990. Fodder tree and straw diet for sheep: intake, growth digestibility and the effects of phenolics on nitrogen utilization. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 30:39-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(90)90050-I
- Sath, K., K. Borin and T. R. Preston. 2008. Effect of levels of sun-dried cassava foliage on growth performance of cattle fed rice straw. Livest. Res. Rural. Dev. 20(supplement):1-12.
- Thang, C. M., I. Ledin and J. Bertilsson. 2009. Effect of feeding cassava and/or Stylosanthes foliage on the performance of crossbred growing cattle. Trop. Anim. Health Prod. 42:1-11.
- Thang, C. M., I. Ledin and J. Bertilsson. 2010. Effect of using cassava products to vary the level of energy and protein in the diet on growth and digestibility in cattle. Livest. Sci. 128:166-172. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2009.12.001
- Undersander, D., D. R. Mertens and N. Theix. 1993. Forage analysis procedures. National Forage Testing Association, Omaha. p. 154.
- Wanapat, M. 1990. Nutritional aspects of ruminant production in Southeast Asia with special reference to Thailand. Printed in Thailand by Funny Press, 549/1 Senanikom 1, Phaholyothin 32, Bangkok.
- Wanapat, M., C. Promkot and S. Khampa. 2007. Supplementation of cassava hay as protein replacement for soybean meal in concentrate supplement for dairy cows. Pakistan J. Nutr. 6:68-71. https://doi.org/10.3923/pjn.2007.68.71
- Wanapat, M., O. Pimpa, A. Petlum and U. Boontao. 1997. Cassava hay: A new strategic feed for ruminants during the dry season. Livest. Res. Rural Dev. 9:1-7.
- Effect of Stylosanthes guianensis supplementation on intake and nitrogen metabolism of Bos indicus cattle offered a basal diet of mixed rice straw and tropical grass vol.53, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1071/AN11307
- Partial replacements of Stylosanthes scabra forage for lucerne in total mixed ration diet of Saanen goats vol.47, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-015-0876-6
- Effects of supplementing different levels of sun-dried groundnut foliage on intake, apparent digestibility and nitrogen metabolism in cattle offered a basal diet of a mixture of rice straw and para grass vol.49, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-017-1352-2
- Influence of green grass-based diets on growth and reproductive performance in dairy heifers vol.50, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-018-1514-x
- Enhancement the feeding value of rice straw as animal fodder through microbial inoculants and physical treatments vol.7, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40093-018-0197-7