- Volume 25 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Effect of Medium-chain Triglyceride (MCT) on Growth Performance, Nutrient Digestibility, Blood Characteristics in Weanling Pigs
- Hong, S.M. (Department of Animal Resource and Science, Dankook University) ;
- Hwang, J.H. (Woosung Feed Cormpany, Ltd.) ;
- Kim, I.H. (Department of Animal Resource and Science, Dankook University)
- Received : 2011.11.02
- Accepted : 2012.02.06
- Published : 2012.07.01
One hundred and twenty weanling pigs in experiment 1 (Exp. 1) (
Blood Profile;Digestibility;Growth Performance;Medium-chain-triglyceride (MCT);Pig
- AOAC. 2000. Official methods of analysis. 17th ed. Assoc. Off. Anal. Chem., Gaithersburg, MD.
- Babayan, V. K. 1987. Medium-chain triglycerides and structured lipids. Lipids 22:417-420. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02537271
- Blum, S., D. Haller, A. Pfeifer and E. J. Schiffrin. 2002. Probiotics and immune responses. Clin. Rev. Allergy Immunol. 22:287-309. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12016-002-0013-y
- Cera, K., D. Mahan and G. Reinhart. 1989. Postweaning swine performance and serum profile responses to supplemental medium-chain free fatty acids and tallow. J. Anim. Sci. 67:2048-2055.
- Chi, F. and A. J. Lepine. 1993. Effect of dietary lipid on growth performance and fatty acid binding protein activity in the liver and small intestine of the weanling pig. J. Anim. Sci. 71:178.
- Dierick, N. A., J. A. Decuypere and I. Degeyter. 2002. The combined use of whole Cuphea seeds containing medium chain fatty acids and an exogenous lipase in piglet nutrition. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 57:49-63.
- Fakler, T. M., C. M. Adams and C. V. Maxwell. 1993. Effect of dietary fat source on performance and fatty acid absorption in the early-weaned pig. J. Anim. Sci. 71:174.
- Gatlin, L. A., J. Odle, J. Soede and J. A. Hansen. 2004. Dietary medium- or long-chain triglycerides improve body condition of lean- genotype sows and increase suckling pig growth. J. Anim. Sci. 80:38-44.
- Isaacs, C. E., R. E. Litov and H. Thormar. 1995. Antimicrobial activity of lipids added to human milk, infant formula, and bovine milk. J. Nutr. Biochem. 6:362-366. https://doi.org/10.1016/0955-2863(95)80003-U
- Konturek, P. C., T. Brzozowski and R. Pajdo. 2004. Ghrelin - a new gastroprotective factor in gastric mucosa. J. Physiol. Pharmacol. 55:325-336.
- Lee, H. F. and S. H. Chiang. 1994. Energy value of medium-chain triglycerides and their efficacy in improving survival of neonatal pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 72:133-138.
- Michael de, V. and P. R. Marteau. 2007. Probiotics and prebiotics: effects on diarrhea. J. Nutr. 137:803-811.
- NRC. 1998. Nutrient requirements of swine. 10th rev. ed. Natl. Acad. Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- Nishi, Y., H. Hiejima, H. Hosoda, H. Kaiya, K. Mori, Y. Fukue, T. Yanase, H. Nawata, K. Kangawa and M. Kojima. 2005. Ingested medium-chain fatty acids are directly utilized for the acyl modification of ghrelin. Endocrinology 146:2255-2264. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.2004-0695
- Odle, J. 1998. Medium-chain triglycerides: a unique energy source for neonatal pigs. Pig News Info. 20:25N-32N.
- Odle, J., N. J. Benevenga and T. D. Crenshaw. 1989. Utilization of medium-chain triacylglycerols by neonatal piglets. 2. Effects of even-and odd-chain triglyceride consumption over the first 2 days of life on blood metabolites and urinary nitrogen excretion. J. Anim. Sci. 67:3340-3351.
- Odle, J., N. J. Benevenga and T. D. Crenshaw. 1991. Postnatal age and the metabolism of medium- and long-chain fatty acids by isolated hepatocytes from small-for-gestational-age and appropriate-for-gestational-age piglets. J. Nutr. 121:615-621.
- Partanen, K. and Z. Mroz. 1999. Organic acids for performance enhancement in pig diets. Nutr. Res. Rev. 12:117-145. https://doi.org/10.1079/095442299108728884
- Rodas, B. D. and C. V. Maxwell. 1992. The effect of fat source and medium-chain triglyceride level on performance of the early-weaned pig. Pig News Info.13:273.
- Roth, F. X. and M. Kirchgessner. 1998. Organic acids as feed additives for young pigs: Nutritional and gastrointestinal effects. J. Anim. Feed Sci. 7:25-33.
- Salfen, B. E., J. A. Carroll, D. H. Keisler and T. A. Strauch. 2004. Effects of exogenous ghrelin on feed intake, weight gain, behavior, and endocrine responses in weanling pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 82:1957-1966.
- SAS Institute. 2001. SAS user's guide. Version 8 ed.SAS Inst. Inc., Cary NC.
- Skrivanova, E., M. Marounek, V. Benda and P. Brezinia. 2006. Susceptibility of escherichia coli, salmonella sp. and clostridium perfringens to organic acids and monolaurin. Vet. Med-Czech. 51:81-88.
- Williams, C. H., D. J. David and O. Iismaa. 1962. The determination of chromic oxide in faeces samples by atomic absorption spectrophotometery. J. Agric. Sci. 59:381-385 https://doi.org/10.1017/S002185960001546X
- Medium-chain TAG attenuate hepatic oxidative damage in intra-uterine growth-retarded weanling piglets by improving the metabolic efficiency of the glutathione redox cycle vol.112, pp.06, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1017/S000711451400155X
- Medium-chain triglyceride as an alternative of in-feed colistin sulfate to improve growth performance and intestinal microbial environment in newly weaned pigs vol.86, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12248
- Medium-chain TAG improve energy metabolism and mitochondrial biogenesis in the liver of intra-uterine growth-retarded and normal-birth-weight weanling piglets vol.115, pp.09, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114516000404
- Alternatives to antibiotics as growth promoters for use in swine production: a review vol.4, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1186/2049-1891-4-35