- Volume 41 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Anti-obesity Effects of Capsule-filled Cheonggukjang Added with Arrowroot (Pueraria thunbergiana) Extracts in ob/ob Mice
칡(Pueraria thunbergiana)추출물 청국장 캡슐의 ob/ob Mice에 대한 항비만 효과
- Kim, Kil-Soo (College of Veterinary Medicine, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Hong, Joo-Heon (Dept. of Food Science and Technology, Catholic University) ;
- Kim, Dae-Ik (Daegu Technopark Bio Health Convergence Center)
- Received : 2012.02.23
- Accepted : 2012.05.07
- Published : 2012.06.30
This study was designed to evaluate the anti-metabolic syndrome effects of capsule-filled cheonggukjang (CGJ) added with arrowroot (Pueraria thunbergiana) extracts on body weight, adiposity and lipid metabolism in ob/ob mice. Experimental groups were normal control group (NC: basal diet), positive control group (PC: 2% CGJ), CGJ added with arrowroot extracts group (AR: 2% arrowroot in CGJ), and capsule-filled CGJ added with arrowroot extracts group (ARC: 2% arrowroot CGJ capsule). Each group was fed experimental diet for 10 weeks. Final body weight gain and atherogenic index were significantly lower in the ARC than NC group. Serum levels of total cholesterol, LDL-cholesterol, and triglycerides, blood glucose and atherogenic index were significantly lower in the ARC than NC group. Furthermore, fatty liver and regional lipid accumultion in ob/ob mice were inhibited in the ARC group. The hepatic activities of superoxide dismutase, catalase and glutathione S-transferase were significantly higher in the ARC than NC group. Therefore, the anti-matabolic syndrome effects of the ARC group were higher than the AR group. In conclusion, these results indicated that CGJ added with arrowroot mediates its anti-obesity effects in ob/ob mice by improving lipid metabolism and antioxidant enzyme.
Supported by : 대구광역시
- Yeo JH, Chon JW, Lee KG, Woo SO, Nam SH, Kweon HY, Han SM, Jo YY, Lee HS, Lee MR, Choi YS, Park YK. 2009. Effect of weight loss and lipid metabolism in diet-induced obesity mice by Korean mixed pollen. Korean J Apiculture 24: 191-199.
- Kim CS. 2000. Amylin analogue in the treatment of obesity. The Korean J Obesity 19: 39-48.
- World Health Organization. 2000. Obesity: preventing an managing the global epidemic. Report of a WHO Consultation. World Health Organization (WHO technical report series 894), Geneva, Switzerland.
- Lee SK, So SH, Hwang EI, Koo BS, Han GH, Ko SB, Kim NM. 2008. Effect of ginseng and herbal plant mixtures on anti-obesity in obese SD rat induced by high fat diet. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 37: 437-444. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.4.437
- Yang CY, Cho MJ, Lee CH. 2011. Effect of fermented turmeric extracts on the obesity in rats fed a high-fat diet. J Anim Sci Tech 53: 75-81. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2011.53.1.75
- Lee JJ, Kim AR, Lee H, KIM CH, Chang HC, Lee MY. 2011. Effect of soybean, cheonggukjang and doenjang on serum cholesterol level and weight reduction in rats fed a highfat/high-cholesterol diet. Korean J Food Preserv 18: 226-235. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2011.18.2.226
- Tanaka K, Aso B, Sugano M. 1984. Biliary steroid excretion in rats fed soybean protein and casein or their amino acid mixtures. J Nutr 114: 26-32.
- Phinney SD, Odin RS, Johnson SB, Holman RT. 1990. Reduced arachidonate in serum phospholipids and cholesteryl esters associated with vegetarian diets in human. Am J Clin Nutr 51: 385-392.
- Oh MJ, Son HY, Kang JC, Lee GS. 1990. Antioxidative effect of pueraria root extract on edible oils and fats. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 19: 448-456.
- Tesung KY, Chou YP, Chang LY, Fan LL. 1975. Pharmacological studies on Radix Puerariae I. Chin Med J Engl 1: 335-342.
- Fan LL, Dennis DO, Wand WJP. 1985. Pharmacologic studies on Radix puerariae. Effect of puerariae on reginal myocardial blood-flow and cardic hemodynamics in dogs with acute myocardial ischemia. Chin Med J 98: 821-832.
- Haglund O, Loustarinen R, Wallin R, Wibell I, Saldeen T. 1991. The effect of fish oil on triglycerides, cholesterol, fibrinogen and malondialdehyde in mans supplemented with vitamin. Eur J Nutr 121: 165-172.
- Ellman GL. 1959. Tissue sulfhydryl group. Arch Biochem Biophys 82: 70-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-9861(59)90090-6
- Ohkawa H, Ohishi N, Yake K. 1979. Assay fro lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction. Annal Biochem 95: 351-358. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(79)90738-3
- Stirpe F, Della CE. 1969. The regulation of rat liver xanthine oxidase. Conversion in vitro of the enzyme activity from dehydrogenase (type D) oxidase (type O). J Biol Chem 244: 3855-3863.
- Martin JP, Dailey M, Sugarman E. 1987. Negative and positive assays of superoxide dismutase based on hematoxylin autoxidation. Arch Biochem Biophys 255: 329-336. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-9861(87)90400-0
- Aebi H. 1974. Catalase. In Methods of Enzymatic Analysis. Bergmeyer HU, ed. Academic Press, New York, NY, USA. Vol 1, p 674.
- Habig WH, Pabst MJ, Jakoby WB. 1974. Glutathione Stransferase. The first enzymatic step in mercapturic acid and formation. J Biol Chem 249: 7130-7139.
- Ingalls AM, Dickie MM, Snell GD. 1950. Obese a new mutation in the house mouse. J Hered 41: 317-318. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.jhered.a106073
- Park ST, Jeong JC. 2008. Effects of Cheonghyul-san on blood glucose, hyperlipidemia, polyol pathway and reactive oxygen species in ob/ob mice. Korean J Oriental Physiology and Pathology 22: 350-356.
- Kleinman JC, Donahue RP, Harris MI, Finrcane FF, Madaus JH, Brock DB. 1988. Mortality among diabetes in a national sample. Am J Epidemiol 128: 389-401. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a114979
- Pesce AJ, Kaplan LA. 1987. Methods in Clinical Chemistry. CV Mosby Co, St. Louis, MO, USA. p 1074-1079.
- Aloia JF, Cohr SH, Vaswani A, Yeh JK, Yuen K, Ellis K. 1985. Risk factors for postmenopausal osteoporosis. Am J Med 78: 95-100.
- Moon SJ, Kim JH, Lim SK. 1996. Investigation of risk of low serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels in Korean menopausal women. Korean J Nutr 29: 981-990.
- Kim HJ, Kim YC. 2006. Antidiabetic and antioxidant effects of chunggugjang powder in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. J Environ Toxicol 21: 139-246.
- Saito M. 1988. Interaction between lipid peroxide formation and nutritional status. J Jpn Soc Nutr Food Sci 41: 343-349. https://doi.org/10.4327/jsnfs.41.343
- Im MJ, Manson PN, Bulkley GB, Hoopes JE. 1985. Effects of superoxide dismutase and allopurinol on the survival of acute island skin flaps. Ann Surg 201: 357-359. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000658-198503000-00018
- Manson PN, Anthenelli RM, Im MJ, Bulkley GB, Hoopes JE. 1983. The role of oxygen free radicals in ischemic tissue injury in island skin flaps. Ann Surg 198: 87-90. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000658-198307000-00017
- Morel DW, Chisolm GM. 1989. Antioxidative treatment of diabetic rats inhibits lipoprotein oxidation and cytotoxicity. J Lipid Res 30: 1827-1834.
- Deisseroth A, Dounce AL. 1970. Catalase physical and chemical properties, mechanism of catalysis and physiological role. Physiol Rev 50: 3-24.
- Anti-Obesity Effect of By-Product from Soybean on Mouse Fed a High Fat Diet vol.28, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7732/kjpr.2015.28.2.168