- Volume 26 Issue 3
In this paper, addressed is the control problem of generating a formation for a group of unmanned surface and underwater vehicles. The formation control scheme proposed in this work is based on a fusion of theleader-follower and virtual reference approaches. This scheme gives a formation constraint representation that is independent of the number of vehicles in the formation and the resulting control algorithm is scalable. One of the most important features in controller design is the ability of the controller to globally and exponentially stabilize the formation errors defined by the formation constraints. The proposed controller is based on feedback linearization, and the formation errors are shown to be globally and exponentially stable in the sense of Lyapunov.
Unmanned surface vehicle (USV);Unmanned underwater vehicle;Lyapunov stability;Formation control
- Balch, T. and Arkin, R.C. (1998). "Behavior-based formation control for multirobot teams," IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, Vol 14, No 6, pp 926-939. https://doi.org/10.1109/70.736776
- Barth, E.J. (2006). "A cooperative control structure for UAV' sexecuting a cooperative ground moving target engagement (CGMTE) scenario," in Proceedings of the American Control Conference, pp 2183-2190.
- Bellingham, J.G., Schmidt, H. and Chryssostomidis, C. (1998). Real-time Oceanography with Autonomous Ocean Sampling Networks, ONR annual report, available on-line at http://auvlab.mit.edu/MURI/annualreport98htm.
- Das, A.K., Fierro, R., Kumar, V., Ostrowski, J.P., Spletzer, J. and Taylor, C.J. (2002). "Avision-based Formation Control Framework," IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, Vol 18, No 5, pp 813-825. https://doi.org/10.1109/TRA.2002.803463
- Egerstedt, M. and Hu, X. (2001). "Formation Constrained Multi-agent Control," IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, Vol 17, No 6, pp 947-951. https://doi.org/10.1109/70.976029
- Fax, J.A. and Murray, R.M. (2004). "Information Flow and Cooperative Control of Vehicle Formations," IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol 49, No 9, pp 1465- 1476. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAC.2004.834433
- Jadbabaie, A., Lin, J. and Morse, A.S. (2003). "Coordination of Groups of Mobile Autonomous Agents using Nearest Neighbor Rules," IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol 48, No 6, pp 988-1001. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAC.2003.812781
- Kemp, M., Bertozzi, A. and, Marthaler, D. (2004). Multi-UUV Perimeter Surveilance, Autonomous Underwater Vehicles, 2004 IEEE/OES.
- Khalil, H.K. (2002). Nonlinear Systems, Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Kingston, D.B. and Schumacher, C.J. (2005). "Time-dependent Cooperative Assignment," in Proceedings of the American Control Conference, pp 4084-4089.
- Lin, J., Morse, A.S. and Anderson, B.D.O. (2003). "The Multiagent Rendezvous Problem," in Proceedings. 42nd IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Vol 2, pp 1508-1513.
- Makrinos, S.T. (2004). "United States Port Security in the War on Terrorism," Sea Technology. Vol 45, No 3, pp 33-34.
- Shehory, O. and Kraus, S. (1998). "Methods for task allocation via agent coalition formation," Artificial Intelligence, Vol 101, No 12, pp 165-200. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0004-3702(98)00045-9
- US NAVY (2007). The Navy Unmanned Surface Vehicle (USV) Master Plan, available online at http://www.navy.mil/navydata/technology/usvmppr.pdf.
- Xiang, X. Lapierre, L., Bruno, J. and Parodi, O. (2009). Coordinated Path Following Control of Multiple Nonholonomic Vehicles, OCEANS-Europe.
- Yamaguchi, H., Arai, T. and Beni, G. (2001). "A Distributed Control Scheme for Multiple Robotic Vehicles to Make Group Formations," Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Vol 36, No 4, pp 125-147. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-8890(01)00133-6