- Volume 22 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Numerical Study on the Thermal Stratification Behavior in Underground Rock Cavern for Thermal Energy Storage (TES)
열에너지 저장을 위한 지하 암반공동 내 열성층화 거동에 대한 수치해석적 연구
- Park, Do-Hyun (KIGAM) ;
- Kim, Hyung-Mok (KIGAM) ;
- Ryu, Dong-Woo (KIGAM) ;
- Choi, Byung-Hee (KIGAM) ;
- SunWoo, Choon (KIGAM) ;
- Han, Kong-Chang (KIGAM)
- 박도현 (한국지질자원연구원 지구환경연 구본부) ;
- 김형목 (한국지질자원연구원 지구환경연 구본부) ;
- 류동우 (한국지질자원연구원 지구환경연 구본부) ;
- 최병희 (한국지질자원연구원 지구환경연 구본부) ;
- 선우춘 (한국지질자원연구원 지구환경연 구본부) ;
- 한공창 (한국지질자원연구원 지구환경연 구본부)
- Received : 2012.06.04
- Accepted : 2012.06.18
- Published : 2012.06.30
Using a computational fluid dynamics (CFD) code, FLUENT, the present study investigated the thermal stratification behavior of Lyckebo storage in Sweden, which is the very first large-scale rock cavern for underground thermal energy storage. Heat transfer analysis was carried out for numerical cases with different temperatures of the surrounding rock mass in order to examine the effect of rock mass heating due to periodic storage and production of thermal energy on thermal stratification and heat loss. The change of thermal stratification with respect to time was quantitatively examined based on an index of the degree of stratification. The results of numerical simulation showed that in the early operational stage where the surrounding rock mass was less heated, the stratification of stored thermal energy was rapidly degraded over time, but the degradation and heat loss tended to reduce as the surrounding rock mass was heated during a long period of operation.
Cavern thermal energy storage;Thermal stratification;Degree of thermal stratification;Computational fluid dynamics
Grant : 지하암반내 열에너지 저장을 위한 핵심기술 개발
Supported by : 한국지질자원연구원
- Kim H. M., D. W. Ryu, S. K. Chung and W. K. Song, 2009, State of the art for the underground unlined rock cavern storage technology for compressed air energy storage (CAES), Journal of the Korean Society for Geosystem 46.5, 614-624.
- Park D., H. M. Kim, D. W. Ryu, B. H. Choi, C. Sunwoo, and K. C. Han, 2012, Technologies of underground thermal energy storage (UTES) and Swedish case for hot water, Tunnel & Underground Space 22.1, 1-11. https://doi.org/10.7474/TUS.2012.22.1.001
- ANSYS, 2012, FLUENT software, ANSYS Inc., Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, http://www.ansys.com/Products/Simulation+Technology/Fluid+Dynamics/ANSYS+Fluent, accessed on May 21, 2012.
- Cho C. H., J. Urquidi and G. W. Robinson, 1999, Molecular-level description of temerature and pressure effects on the viscosity of water, Journal of Chemical Physics 111.22, 10171-10176. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.480367
Cho C. H., J. Urquidi, S. Singh and G. W. Robinson, 1999, Thermal offset viscosities of liquid
$H_2O,\;D_2O,\;T_2O$, Journal of Physical Chemistry B 103.11, 1991-1994.
- Lide D. R., 1990, CRC handbook of chemistry and physics, CRC Press, Florida.
- Johari G. P., A. Hallbrucker and E. Mayer, 1996, Two calorimetrically distinct states of liquid water below 150 Kelvin, Science 273.5271, 90-92. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.273.5271.90
- Shyu R. J., J. Y. Lin and L. J. Fang, 1989, Thermal analysis of stratified storage tanks, ASME Journal of Solar Energy Engineering 111.1, 54-61. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3268287
- SKANSKA, 1983, Swedish rock technique: Lyckebo seasonal energy storage plant, SKANSKA technical brochure.
- XYdatasource.com, 2012, Liquid thermal conductivity of water vs. temperature, http://www.xydatasource.com/xy-showdatasetpage.php?datasetcode=8888&dsid=109, accessed on March 30, 2012.
- Mechanical Stability Analysis to Determine the Optimum Aspect Ratio of Rock Caverns for Thermal Energy Storage vol.23, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7474/TUS.2013.23.2.150
- A Comparative Study on Heat Loss in Rock Cavern Type and Above-Ground Type Thermal Energy Storages vol.23, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7474/TUS.2013.23.5.442
- Thermal Performance Analysis of Multiple Thermal Energy Storage (TES) Caverns with Different Separation Distances Using Computational Fluid Dynamics vol.24, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7474/TUS.2014.24.3.201