- Volume 11 Issue 4
The effects of volume fraction (15-30%) of SiC particulate reinforcements on the corrosion behavior of SiCp/7091 Al composites in the 3.5% NaCl solution were studied by electrochemical techniques and scanning electron microscopy. The results showed that the amount of SiC particulate reinforcements did not cause much difference in the corrosion behavior of SiCp/7091 Al composites but the corrosion rate was proportional to the amount of SiCp reinforcement. And numerous pits and severe dissolution of the matrix was observed probably due to the discontinuities and galvanic effects between Al matrix and SiC reinforcements.
composites;reinforcements;corrosion potential;polarization resistance;pitting
- C. E. Da Costa, F. Velasco, and J. M toralba, Rev. Metal. Madrid, 36, 179 (2000). https://doi.org/10.3989/revmetalm.2000.v36.i3.570
- M. Hutchings, S. Wilson, A. T. Alpas, T.W.Clyne (ed.), Comprehensive Composite Materials, 3, Elsevier Science Ltd., UK, 501 (2000).
- A. Pardo, M. C. Merino, S. Merino, F. Viejo, M. Carboneras, and R. Arrabal, Corros. Sci,. 47, 1750 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.corsci.2004.08.010
- G. Huang, Corros. Sci. Tech., 31, 215 (2002).
- B. Yoon, H. Kim, W. Chang, and Y. Kweon, Corros. Sci. Tech., 5, 196 (2006).
- H. Sun, E. Koo, and H. G. Wheat, Corrosion, 47, 742 (1991).
- C. HE, C. LIU, F. Li, and Q. KAI, J. Mater. Sci. Technol., 18, 261 (2002).
- R. L. Deuis, L. Green, C. Subramanian, and J. M. Yellop, Corrosion, 53, 880 (1997). https://doi.org/10.5006/1.3290273
- K. D. Lore and J. S. Wolf, Proc. Meeting of the Electrochemical Society, Denver, CO, October (1981).
- A. J. Trowsdate, B. Noble, S. J. Haris, I.S. R. Gibbins, G. E. Thomson, G. C. Wood, Corros. Sci., 38, 177 (1996). https://doi.org/10.1016/0010-938X(96)00098-4
- P. P. Trzaskoma, E. McCaffery, and C. R. Crowe, J. Electrochem. Soc., 130, 1804 (1983). https://doi.org/10.1149/1.2120102
- D. M. Aylor and P. J. Moran, J. Electrochem. Soc., 132, 1277 (1985). https://doi.org/10.1149/1.2114101