- Volume 21 Issue 6
The objective of this study was undertaken to investigate changes in fatty acid profile of breast and thigh muscle of old laying hens as transferred from cage to backyard raising system and to provide basic information on using old laying hens to producers for environmental managements. Overall, percentages of unsaturated fatty acid obtained from breast and thigh muscle with cage and backyard raising system are the most abundant, followed by saturated fatty acid. For breast muscle, there were no differences (P>0.05) between cage rearing system and backyard raising system in saturated fatty acid (SFA) and mono unsaturated fatty acid (MUFA). Poly unsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) and PUFA:SFA ratios were significantly higher in backyard raising systems in comparison with cage rearing systems (P<0.05). No differences (P>0.05) were detected between both rearing systems for MUFA, PUFA, and PUFA:SFA ratios with thigh muscles. SFA in thigh muscle was significantly (P<0.05) higher in cage rearing systems compared with backyard raising systems. In conclusion, using breast and thigh muscle meats from old laying hens as functional foods or investigating impact assessment on the improvement of farm management system may serve as a good management practice to encourage producers.
Cage rearing system;Backyard raising system;Fatty acid profile;Breast muscle;Thigh muscle
- Ahn, D. H., Park, S. Y., 2002, Studies on components related to taste such as free amino acids and nucleotides in Korean native chicken meat, J Korean Soc Food Sci. Nutr, 31, 547-552. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2002.31.4.547
- Folch, J., Lee, M., Sloane-Stanley, G. H., 1957, A simple method for the isolation and purification of lipids from animal tissues, J Biol Chem, 226, 497-509.
- Grashorn, M. A., Serini, C., 2006, Quality of chicken meat from conventional and organic production, XII. European Poultry Conference, Verona, Italy.
- Hargis, P. S., Van Elswyk, M. E., 1993, Manipulating the fatty acid composition of poultry meat and eggs for the health conscious consumer, World's Poultry Sci J, 49, 251-264. https://doi.org/10.1079/WPS19930023
- Husak, R., Sebranek, J. G., Bregendahl, K. A., 2008, A survey of commercially available broilers marketed as organic, free range and conventional broilers for cooked meat yields, meat composition and relative value, Poult Sci, 87, 2367-2376. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2007-00294
- Jahan, K., Paterson, A., Spickett, C. M., 2004, Fatty acid composition, antioxidant and lipid oxidation in chicken breast from different production regimes, Int J Food Sci Tech, 39, 443-453. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2004.00799.x
- Jaturasitha, S., Srikanchai, T., Kreuzer, M., Wicke, M., 2008, Difference in carcass and meat characteristics between chicken indigenous to northern Thailand (black boned and Thai native) and imported extensive breeds (Bresse and Rhode Island Red), Poultry Sci, 87, 160-169. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2006-00398
- Jeon, H. J., Choe, J. H., Jung, Y., Kruk, Z. A., Lim, D. G., Jo, C., 2010, Comparison of the chemical composition, textural characteristics, and sensory properties of North and South Korean native chickens and commercial broilers, Korean J Food Sci Ani Resour, 30, 171-178. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2010.30.2.171
- Lee, K. H., J, Y. H., Jung, S., Lee, J. H., H, K. N., Jo, C. R., 2011, Physiochemical characteristics of the meat from Korean native chicken and broiler reared and slaughtered as the same conditions, Korean J. Poult. Sci, 38, 225-230. https://doi.org/10.5536/KJPS.2011.38.3.225
- Martino, G., Ponzielli, V., Grotta, L., 2008, Healthier fat content through organic production, World Poult, 24, 33-34.
- Nanari, M. C., Hewavitharana, A. K., Beca, C., de Jong, S., 2004, Effect of dietary tocopherols and tocotrienols on the antioxidant status and lipid stability of chicken, Meat Sci, 68, 155-162. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2003.12.004
- Ozpinar, H., Kahraman, R., Abas, I., Kutay, H. C., Eseceli, H., Grashorn, M. A., 2003, Effect of dietary fat source on n-3 fatty acid enrichment of broiler meat, Poult Sci, 67, 57-64.
- Sang, B. D., Kong, H. S., Kim, H. K., Choi, C. H., Kim, S. D., Cho, Y. M., Sang, B. C., Lee, J. H., Jeon, G. J., Lee, H. K., 2006, Estimation of genetic parameters for economic traits in Korean, Asian-Aust J Anim Sci, 19, 319-323. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.319
- Slanker's Grass-Fed Meats, Fatty Acid Analysis, http://texasgrassfedbeef.com/id73.htm.