- Volume 26 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effect of separation walls on reduction of suspended solids loading in a combined sewer system
합류식 하수관거내 우오수분리벽 설치에 따른 부유물질 제어효과
- Kwon, Chungjin (Department of Environmental Engineering, Daejeon University) ;
- Lim, Bongsu (Department of Environmental Engineering, Daejeon University)
- Received : 2012.08.31
- Accepted : 2012.12.04
- Published : 2012.12.15
The purpose of this study is to investigate CSOs(combined sewer overflows) control in the combined sewer with/without separation wall. There is the high correlation between sewage velocity and suspended solid(SS) loading in the sewer without it. The SS/BOD ratio was about 3 times in the area with it, while it was about 5 times in the area without it. Therefore, the accumulated deposit within the sewer has influenced high SS loading in the sewer without it. This study showed that the separation wall installed acquired an acceptable efficiency in controlling the accumulated deposit in the combined sewer. According to this study, the BOD control effect was about 38 % in the sewer with the separation wall, whereas it showed about 24 % in the sewer without it. In this case, it was anticipated that the high pollutant control effect would be expected if the separation wall was installed in the combined sewer.
- Daejeon Metropolitan City (2011) 2010 Daejeon Statistical Yearbook, 46, pp. 54-61.
- Yur, J. H ., Kim, G.H. (2005) Discharge Characteristics of Sewer Overflow from Small Urban Watersheds, Journal of Korean Society of Civil Engineers, 25(1B), pp. 75-82.
- Ryu, B. R . (2010) Performance of First Flush Storage Tank, Hanbat University Industrial Academic Cooperation Foundation, p. 10.
- Lee, D. J., Kim, M.N. (2005) Characteristics of Transformation Process of Wastewater in Sewer, Journal of Korean Society of Environmental Engineers, 27(9), pp. 911-916.
- Lee, K. C. (2004) Pollutant Control Using the Separation Wall between Stormwater and Sewage in a Combined Sewer System, Master Thesis, Daejeon University, pp. 53-54.
- Lim, B. S., Kim, D.Y., Lee, K.C. (2007) Comparison of Pollutant Control in Combined Sewer Overflows and Separated Sewer Overflows using the Separation Wall, Journal of Korea Society on Water Quality, 23(4), pp. 458-466.
- Lim, B.S ., Kim, D.Y., Lee, K.C. (2011) Effect and Control of the Sediment in the Combined Sewer on CSOs, Journal of Korea Society on Water Quality, 27(1), pp. 36-43.
- Korea Water and Wastewater Works Association (2011) Design of Sewage Treatment Plants, pp. 171-183.
- Ministry of Environment (2009) Korean Standard Methods of Water Pollution.
- Ministry of Environment (2007) Sewage Law Enforcement Regulation, The two clause of article 25, p. 10.
- Lim B. S., Kwon C. J., Kim D. Y. and Lee K. C. (2012) Control of the Sediment in the Combined Sewer Using the Separation Wall during Rainfall, The 3rd International Conference on RainWater Harvesting & Management, p. 234.
- Improvements of Inflow Controller Installed in Storm Overflow Diverging Tank for CSOs Control vol.31, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.15681/KSWE.2015.31.4.428