- Volume 18 Issue 2
Influence of Head Nurses' Transformational Leadership on Staff Nurse's Psychological Well-being, Stress and Somatization - Focused on the Mediating Effect of Positive Psychological Capital -
수간호사의 변혁적 리더십이 일반간호사의 심리적 안녕감, 스트레스 및 신체화에 미치는 영향 - 긍정심리자본의 매개 효과를 중심으로 -
- Received : 2012.02.16
- Accepted : 2012.04.18
- Published : 2012.06.30
Purpose: This study was done to identify the relationship between transformational leadership by head nurses and positive psychological capital, psychological well-being, stress and somatization of staff nurses. Method: Participants in this study were 300 staff nurses in general hospitals located in G and B cities. Data were collected using self-administered questionnaires and analyzed using SPSS Win 18.0 program. Result: The major findings were as follows; 1) There were positive influences of transformational leadership on positive psychological capital, psychological well-being, and a negative effect on stress. 2) Positive psychological capital had a positive influence on psychological well-being, and negative effects on stress and somatization. 3) In the analysis of the mediating role of the positive psychological capital, transformational leadership was shown to indirectly affect psychological well-being and stress through positive psychological capital. Conclusions: These findings suggest that transformational leadership has important influences on employees' psychological well-being and stress via employees' positive psychological capital. To enhance psychological well-being and reduce stress for nurses, it is important to develop not only the leadership of head nurses but also the positive psychological capital of staff nurses.
- Achua, C. F., & Lussier, R. N. (2010). Effective leadership (4th ed.). Toronto: South-Western Cengage Learning.
- Barsky, A. J., & Klerman, G. L. (1983). Overview: Hypochondreasis, bodily complaints, and somatic styles. American Journal of Psychiatry, 140(3), 273-283.
- Bass, B. M. (1985). Leadership & performance beyond expectations. New York, NY: Free Press.
- Bass, B. M., & Avolio, B. J. (1990). Transformational leadership development: Manual for the multifactor leadership questionnaire. Palo Alto, CA: Consulting Psychologist Press.
- Burnfield, J. L. (2005). Concurrent and lagged effects of leadership behavior on subordinate stress and health.. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, College of Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green.
- Chung, D. Y., Park, K. H., & Seo, J. D. (2011). Positive psychological capital and leadership performance. Korea Business Education Review, 26(2), 401-428.
- Culbertson, S. S., Fullagar, C. J., & Mills, M. J. (2010). Feeling good and doing great: The relationship between psychological capital and well-being. Journal of Occupational HealthPsychology, 15(4), 421-433.
- Fredrickson, B. L. (1998). What good are positive emotion?. Review of General Psychology, 2(3), 300-319.
- Gardner, B. D. (2010). Improve RN retention through transformational leadership styles. Nursing Management, 41(8), 8-12.
- Ham, J. Y. (2006). The relationships of stress, alexithymia and somatization of adolescents: Focused on the highschool student. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Seoul Women's University, Seoul.
- Hannah, S. T., Woolfolk, R. L., & Lord, R. G. (2009). Leader self structure: a framework for positive leadership. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 30(2), 269-290.
- Huh, N. C. (2009). The influence of transformational leadership on organizational trust in-role behavior, and psychological well-being: The role of hope and intimacy. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Kyonggi University, Seoul.
- Kim, I. A., Park, Y. J., Seomun, G. A., & Lim, J. Y. (2006). A review of studies on leadership in nursing organization. Journal of Korean Academy Nursing Administraion, 12(2), 311-322.
- Kim, K. I, Kim, J. W., & Won, H. T. (1984). Symptom checklist: SCL-90-R. Seoul: Joongang Aptitude Publishing.
- Kim, M. S., Han, S. J., & Kim, J. A. (1999). Subjectivity of leadership behavior for nurse manager in hospital. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 29(5), 1072-1086.
- Kim, M. S., Kim, H. W., & Cha, K. H. (2001). Analyses on the construct of psychological well-being (PWB) of Korean male and female adults. Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, 15(2), 19-39.
- Korean Health Industry Development Institute. (2009, October). 2008 Health care industry whitebook. Seoul: Korean Health Industry Development Institute.
- Korean Institute of Hospital Management & Korean Hospital Association. (2010, March). 2007, 2008 Hospital management statistics. Seoul: Korean Institute of Hospital Management
- Kuoppala, J., Lamminpaa, A., Liira, J., & Vainio, H. (2008). Leadership, job well-being, and health effects: A systematic review and a meta-analysis. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 50(8), 904-915.
- Lazarus, R. S., & Folkman, S. (1984). Stress, appraisal, and coping. New York, NY: Springer.
- Lee, D. S., & Choi, Y. D. (2010). A Study on antecedents and consequences of positive psychological capital in organizations. Korean Management Review, 39(1), 1-28.
- Lui, J., Siu, O. L., & Shi, K. (2010). Transformational leadership and employee well-being: The mediating role of trust in the leader and self-efficacy. Applied Psychology: An International Review, 59(3), 454-479.
- Luthans, F., Avolio, B. J., Avey, J. B., & Norman, S. M. (2007). Positive psychological capital: Measurement and relationship with performance and satisfaction. Personnel Psychology, 60(3), 541-572.
- Munir, F., & Nielsen, K. (2009). Does self-efficacy mediate the relationship between transformational leadership behaviors and healthcare worker's sleep quality? A longitudinal study. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 65(9), 1833-1843.
- Nielsen, K., & Munir, F. (2009). How do transformational leaders influence followers' affective well-being? Exploring the mediating role of self-efficacy. Work & Stress, 23(4), 313-329.
- Park, H. T. (1996). Transformational and transactional leadership styles of the nurse administrators and job satisfaction, organizational commitment in nursing service Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 27(1), 228-241.
- Ryff, C. D. (1989). Happiness is everything, or is it? Explorations on the meaning of psychological well-being. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 57(6), 1069-1081.
- Seligman, M. E. P. (1998). Learned optimism: How to change your mind and your life. New York, NY: Pocket Books.
- Yoon, H., & Cho, Y. (2007). Relationship between job stress contents, psychological factors and mental health status among university hospital nurses in Korea. Journal of Preventive Medical Public Health, 40(5), 351-362.
- Yun, J. R., & Jang, J. S. (2008). Hospital management. Seoul: Hyungseol Publishing.