- Volume 36 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Barrel Rifling Shape Optimization by Using Design of Experiment Approach
실험계획법을 적용한 포의 강선 형상최적설계
- Kang, Dae-Oh (Institute of Design Optimization Inc.) ;
- Woo, Yoon-Hwan (Dept. of Mechanical Systems Engineering, Hansung Univ.) ;
- Cha, Ki-Up (Agency of Defense Development)
- Received : 2012.02.14
- Accepted : 2012.06.12
- Published : 2012.08.01
The rifling design problem has continuous-type shape variables and an integral number of riflings. In addition, it requires considerable time for analysis because its behavior should be described by a nonlinear finite element model (FEM). Therefore, this study presents an efficient design process for rifling based on a design of experiment (DOE) approach. First, Bose's orthogonal array is used to represent 25 runs for four design variables including three shape variables and one integer variable. Then, nonlinear FE analyses are performed. Next, to minimize the bullet resistance without affecting the bullet velocity and bullet rotational angle immediately before a bullet leaves the gun barrel, a what-if design is performed. In the proposed what-if design, a functional including the design objective and constraints is constructed and effect analysis is performed by using the functional. It is found that the new design obtained from the what-if design shows better results than the current one.
Supported by : 국방과학연구소, 한성대학교
- Krottmaier, J., 1993, Optimizing Engineering Designs, McGraw-Hill International Editions.
- Montgomery, D. C., 1997, Design and Analysis of Experiments, John Wiley & Sons.
- Hedayat, A. S., Sloane, N. J. A. and Stufken, J., 1999, Orthogonal Arrays: Theory and Applications, Springer.
- John, P. W. M., 1998, Statistical Design and Analysis of Experiments, Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics.
- Myers, R. H., Montgomery, D. C., 1995, Response Surface Methodology, Wiley Series In Probability and Statistics.
- Osyczka, A., 1984, Multicriterion Optimization in Engineering with FORTRAN Programs, JOHN WILEY & SONS, New York, pp.23-42,
- Kim, M.-S., 2011, User's Guide for EasyDesign, EasyDesign Version 2.0, Institute of Design Optimization, Inc.
- Bose, R. C. and K. A. Bush, 1952. "Orthogonal Arrays of Strength Two and Three," Ann. Math Statist., Vol. 23, pp. 508-524. https://doi.org/10.1214/aoms/1177729331
- Kwon, K. B. and Shin, D.Y, 2011, "Optimal Design of a Mini-loader Based on the Design of Experiments," Trans. of the KSME(A), Vol. 35, No. 6, pp.693-698.