- Volume 36 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Energy Absorption of Collision Post Based on North American CFR Regulations for Railway Vehicles
철도차량의 북미 CFR 법규에 대한 충돌 기둥에너지 흡수에 관한 연구
- Kim, Seung-Tech (Hyundai-Rotem Company) ;
- Jeong, Ji-Ho (Hyundai-Rotem Company) ;
- Choi, Jeong-Yong (Hyundai-Rotem Company) ;
- Woo, Kwan-Je (Hyundai-Rotem Company)
- Received : 2011.10.25
- Accepted : 2012.06.12
- Published : 2012.08.01
In accidents involving the collision of railway vehicles, there is a risk that structural members might penetrate the cab frame of the railway vehicle in the space in which the driver or passengers are seated. To reduce this risk, worldwide, studies on the collision of railway vehicles are underway. In North America, the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) was revised in 2010 to include crush criteria for a collision and the corner post in an end frame. In this study, a crush analysis and crush test for a collision post and a crash analysis for a rigid cylinder were performed according to the CFR. The analysis and test results were compared and reviewed. This study aims to determine the usefulness of crush analysis for developing various end frames, and to understand the crush and crash characteristics and review the accuracy of the analysis.
- American Passenger Transportation Association., 2006, "Standard for the Design and Construction of Passenger Railroad Rolling Stock," APTA SS-C&S-034-99, Rev.2, pp. 11.11 -11.12.
- Federal Railroad Administration., 2010, "Section 238.211 Collision Posts," 49 CFR Subpart C, pp.811-812..
- Altair Engineering, Inc., 2009, Hypermesh User's Guide.
- Livermore Software Technology Corporation., 2006, LS-DYNA Theory Manual.
- Ramberg, W. and Osgood, W.R., 1941, "Determination of Stress-strain Curves by Three Parameters," National Advisory Committee on Aeronautics (NACA), Technical Note No. 503.
- American Passenger Transportation Association., 1999, "Standard for Austenitic Stainless Steel for Railroad Passenger Equipment," APTA SS-C&S-004-98, pp. 12-15.