- Volume 24 Issue 2
The Effects of Yoga Low Back Pain Exercise and Lumbar Extensor Muscle Endurance Exercise on Chronic Low Back Pain Patients
요가 요통체조와 요부 신전근 지구력 운동이 만성요통 환자의 통증에 미치는 영향
- Kang, Seung-Soo (Department of Physical Therapy, Graduate School, Catholic University of Pusan) ;
- Goo, Bong-Oh (Department of Physical Therapy, Catholic University of Pusan)
- Received : 2012.03.14
- Accepted : 2012.04.14
- Published : 2012.04.25
Purpose: In the present study, the degree of subjective pain in chronic low back pain patients through the course of six week of yoga low back pain exercise and lumbar extensor muscle strengthening training was analyzed, and a systematic and effective home exercise therapy program was proposed. Methods: For this study, we sampled 21 random patients with chronic low back pain who were receiving outpatient treatment at G Hospital Pusan, and conducted experiment for six weeks by applying yoga low back pain exercise+modalities (7) lumbar extensor muscle endurance exercise+ modalities (7) and modalities (7). To measure the degree of pain, the visual analogue scale (VAS) and Oswestry Low Back Pain Questionnaire were used. Pain was measured before the experiment and after six weeks. Results: Significant differences were observed between yoga, extensor muscle endurance exercise and modalities (VAS=0.00 Oswestry=0.00). The yoga and extensor endurance muscle exercise reduced low back pain by more than the modalities. Conclusion: This study will be used to develop a preventive and reduction method of LBP. Therefore, Yoga and extensor muscle endurance exercise are appropriate for use as a home program exercise to reduce low back pain in patients.
- Bae YJ, Lee SY, Bong JS et al. The effects of the low back stretching exercise and isotocise on improvement of lumbar strength in chronic low pain patients. Korea Society of Exercise Physiology. 1999;8(3):383-92.
- Wheeler AH. Diagnosis and management of low back pain and sciatica. Am Fam Physician. 1995;52(5):1333-41.
- Graves JE, Webb DC, Pollock ML et al. Pelvic stabilization during resistance training: its effect on the development of lumbar extension strength. Arch Physi Med Rehabil. 1994;75:210-5.
- Beimborn DS, Morryssey MC. A review of literature related to trunk muscle performance. Spine. 1988;13(6):655-60.
- Van Dieen JH, Cholewicki J, Radebold A. Trunk muscle recruitment patterns in patients with low back pain enhance the stability of the lumbar spine. Spine. 2003;28(8):834-41.
- Park YJ, Choi GS, Yi SG. Effect of lumbar extensor strengthening in chronic low back pain patients. Korean Academy of Rehabilitation Medicine. 2000;24(2):295-300.
- Van Dieen JH, Heijbolom P. Reproducibility of isometric trunk extension torque, trunk extensor endurance, and related electromyographic parameters in the context of their clinical applicability. J Orthop Res. 1996;14(1):139-43. https://doi.org/10.1002/jor.1100140122
- Ito T, Shirado O, Suzuki H et al. Lumbar trunk muscle endurance testing: an inexpensive alternative to a machine for evaluation. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1996;77(1):75-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(96)90224-5
- Lee HO. Activation of trunk muscles during stabilization exercises in four-point kneeling. J Kor Soc Phys Ther. 2010;22(5):33-8.
- Sun JH. The effect of yoga on adolescent flexibility. Kyungnam University. Dissertation of Master's Degree. 2005.
- Carmody J, Baer RA. Relationships between mindfulness practice and levels of mindfulness, medical psychological symptoms and well-being in a mindfulness-based stress reduction program. J Behav Med. 2008;31(1):23-33. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10865-007-9130-7
- Williams KA. Petronis J, Smith D et al. Effect of Iyengar yoga therapy for chronic low back pain. Pain. 2005;115(1-2):107-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2005.02.016
- Choi IS. Yoga teaching method. Seoul, Joeun publishing company, 2007:325-60.
- Yun SJ, Pack SH, Kim HJ et al. Effect of yoga performance on the waist muscle activation in the middle age woman. Korean Aesthetic Society. 2010;8(1):21-9.
- Yi SJ. Oswestry low back pain disability index and related factors in patients with low back pain. J Kor Soc Phys Ther. 2008;20(4):21-8.
- Chok B, Lee R, Latimer J et al. Endurance Training of Trunk Extensor Muscles in People With Subacute Low Back Pain. Phys Ther. 1999;79(11):1032-42.
- Kim TY, Jung SY. The current evidence for the effectiveness of exercise in low back pain. J Kor Soc Phys Ther. 2002;14(1):139-58.
- Moffroid MT, Haugh LD, Haiq AJ et al. Endurance traning of trunk extensor muscles. Phys Ther. 1993;73(1):10-7.
- Lee KH, Kang HS. The effect of yoga exercise on the relieve of chronic low back pain. The Journal of Rheumatology Health. 1996;3(2):177-93.
- Sherman KJ, Cherkin DC, Miglioretti DL et al. Comparing yoga, exercise, and a self-care book for chronic low back pain. Ann of Inter Med. 2005;143(12):849-56. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-143-12-200512200-00003
- Park GS. The effect on spine function and low back pain of yoga practice in female. Wonkwang University. Dissertation of Master's Degree. 2006.
- Yun SJ, Pack SH. Effect of Yoga performance on the erector spinae muscle tension and fatigue in the middle-aged men. Korea Society of Dance Science. 2010;21(1):1-11.
- Reid S, Hazard RG, Fenwick JW. Isokinetic trunk-strength deficits in people with and without low back pain: a comparative study with consideration of effort. J Spinal Disord. 1991;4(1):68-72.
- Kim SY. Changes in cross-sectional area of lumbar muscle in patients with chronic back pain. J Kor Soc Phys Ther. 2010;22(5):39-47.
- Handa N, Yamamoto H, Tani T et al. The effect of trunk muscle exercises in patients over 40 year s of age with chronic low back pain. J Orthop Sci. 2000;5(3):210-16. https://doi.org/10.1007/s007760050153
- Oliveira Ade S, Gonclves M. Lumbar muscles recruitment during resistance exercise for upper limbs. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2009;19(5):737-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2008.04.004
- Dickx N, Cagnie B, Parlevliet T et al. The effect of unilateral muscle pain on recruitment of the lumbar multifidus during automatic contraction. An experimental pain study. Man Ther. 2010;15(4):364-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2010.02.002
- Folland JP, Hawker K, Leach B et al. Strength training isometric training at a range of joint angles versus dynamic training. J Sports Sci. 2005;23(8):17-24.