- Volume 23 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Undergraduate Student's Extraversion, Openness to Experience, Creativity and School Adjustment: The Mediating Role of Creativity
대학생의 외향성, 경험에의 개방성과 창의성이 학교생활적응에 미치는 영향 -창의성의 매개효과를 중심으로-
- Youn, Jeong-Jin (Dept. of Early Childhlood Education, DongMyung University) ;
- Kim, Kyoung-Eun (Dept. of Child Welfare, Namseoul University)
- Received : 2011.12.26
- Accepted : 2012.06.25
- Published : 2012.06.30
This study investigated the manner in which extraversion, openness to experience and creativity related to school adjustment and explored the mediating role of creativity in extraversion-school adjustment and openness to experience-school adjustment relationships. The participants of this study were 258 undergraduate students from around the capital city and Pusan Greater Metropolitan area. The results revealed that extraversion related positively to openness to experience, creativity and school adjustment. Openness to experience related positively to creativity and school adjustment and creativity related positively to school adjustment. Furthermore, creativity was found to mediate the effects of openness to experience on school adjustment. The influence of openness to experience on school adjustment occurred indirectly through the facilitation of creativity. The importance of extraversion, openness to experience and creativity to predict undergraduate student's school adjustment is also discussed.
- Baker RW, Siryk B(1986) Exploratory intervention with a scale measuring adjustment to college. J Counseling Psychology 33, 31-38. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-022.214.171.124
- Bandalos DL, Finney SJ(2001) Item parceling issues in structural equation modeling. In G. A. Marcoulides & R. E. Shumaker (Eds.) Advanced Structural Equation Modeling: New Developments And Techniques. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Barron F(1988) Putting creativity to work. In R. J. Sternberg(Ed.), The Nature of Creativity: Contemporary Psychological Perspectives. Cambridge University Press.
- Chang HS(1999) Adolescent Psychology. Seoul: Hakjisa.
- Choi IS, Kim CH(2004) The effects of sex-role identity upon school adjustment behavior. Korean J Educ Psychology 18, 132-143.
- Chung EI(2003) Relationships of everyday creativity to psychological and social adjustment. J Res Educ 18, 103-120.
- Chung EI(2007) The effect of stress and everyday creativity of college students on career decisionmaking. Korean J Educ Methodology Stud 19(2), 143-162. https://doi.org/10.3946/kjme.2007.19.2.143
- Chung EI(2008) Relationships of everyday creativity to love attitude, mutual understanding, and relational satisfaction. J Res Educ 32, 95-117.
- Chung OB, Chung SH, Lim JH, Kim KE, Park YJ(2011) An investigation of the creativity as perceived by undergraduate students. Korean J Human Ecology 20(1), 39-55. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2011.20.1.039
- Coplan RJ, Prakash K, O'Neil K, Armer M(2004) Do you 'want' to play? Distinguishing between conflicted-shyness and social disinterest in early childhood. Developmental Psychology, 40, 244- 258. https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-16126.96.36.199
- Csikszentmihalyi M(1990) Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience. NY: Harper & Row.
- Dollinger SJ, Urban KK, James TA(2004). Creativity and openness: Further validation of two creative product measures. Creativity Res J 16, 35-47. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15326934crj1601_4
- Feist GJ(1998) A meta-analysis of personality in scientific and artistic creativity. Personality and Social Psychology Rev 2, 290-299. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327957pspr0204_5
- Furnham A, Bachtiar V(2008) Personality and intelligence as predictors of creativity. Personality and Individual Differences, 45(7), 613-617. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2008.06.023
- Furnham A, Batey M, Anand, K, Manfield J(2008) Personality, hypomania, intelligence and creativity. Personality and Individual Differences, 44, 1060- 1069. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2007.10.035
- Gazelle H, Ladd GW(2003) Anxious solitude and peer exclusion: A diathesis-stress model of internalizing trajectories in childhood. Child Development 74, 257-278. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8624.00534
- George JM, Zhou J(2001) Understanding when bad moods foster creativity and good ones don't: The role of context and clarity of feelings. J Applied Psychology 87, 687-97.
- Goldberg LR(1992) The development of markers of the Big-Five factor structure. Psychological Assessment 4, 26-42. https://doi.org/10.1037/1040-35188.8.131.52
- Gonzales NA, Tein J, Sandler IN, Friedman RJ(2001) On the limits of coping: Interaction between stress and coping for inner-city adolescents. J Adolescent Res 16, 372-395. https://doi.org/10.1177/0743558401164005
- Ha DH, Hwang HI, Nam SI(2008) The development of Big 5 personality inventory and its criterion-related validity on school grade, school adaptation, and career selection. Korean J Educ Psychology 22(3), 609-629.
- Kim KE(2011) Emotions, openness to experience, self-efficacy and creativity: The mediating role of self-efficacy. Korean J Human Development, 18 (1), 1-18.
- Kim KH, Kwon HJ, Choi MH(2004) The relationship of personality, sensation seeking and adjustment to school in the adolescents. J Korean Academy Psychiatric and Mental Health Nurs 13(4), 476- 486.
- Kim JB, Kim TE(2008) The development and validation of Korean school happiness scale. Korean J Educ Psychology 22(1), 259-279.
- Ladd GW, Kochenderfer BJ, Coleman CC(1996) Friendship quality as a predictor of young children's early school adjustment. Child Development, 67, 1103-1118. https://doi.org/10.2307/1131882
- Laidra K, Pullman H, Allik J(2007) Personality and intelligence as predictors of academic achievement: A cross-sectional study from elementary to secondary school. J Personality & Individual Differences 42(3), 441-451. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2006.08.001
- Lazarus RS, Folkman S(1984) Stress, Appraisal, and Coping. New York: Springer.
- Lee JK(2005) The relationship among creativity, work preference, and academic self-efficacy for the students in the university. Korean J Educ Psychology 19(2), 413-432.
- Lee OJ(2003) Eysenck's personality dimensions and stress coping styles as predictors of school adjustment in high school students. Korean J Social and Personality Psychology 17(3), 77-85.
- Lounsbury JW, Sundstrom E, Loveland JM, Gibson LW(2003) Intelligence, "Big Five" personality traits, and work drive as predictors of course grade. Personality and Individual Differences 35, 1231-1239. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(02)00330-6
- MacKinnon DW(1969) Personality inventory correlates of creativity among architects. J Applied Psychology 53, 322-326. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0027811
- McCrae RR, Costa PT(1997) Conceptions and Correlates of Openness to Experience. In Hogan R, Johnson JA, Briggs SR (Eds.), Handbook of Personality Psychology (pp. 825- 847). Orlando, FL: Academic Press.
- Runco MA, Richards R(1998) Eminent Creativity, Everyday Creativity, and Health. Greenwich, CT: Ablex. Simonton.
- Runco M.A, Plucker JA, Lim W(2001) Development and psycho-metric integrity of a measure of ideational behavior. Creativity Research J 13, 393-400. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15326934CRJ1334_16
- Shaffer LF, Shoben EJ(1956) The Psychology of Adjustment. Boston: Houghton Mifflin.
- Silvia PJ, Nusbaum EC, Berg C, Martin C, O'Connor A(2009) Openness to experience, plasticity, and creativity: Exploring lower-order, higher-order, and interactive effects. J Res Personality 43, 1087-1090. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jrp.2009.04.015
- Sobel ME(1982) Asymptotic Intervals for Indirect Effects in Structural Equations Models. In S. Leinhart (Ed.), Sociological Methodology 1982 (pp.290-312). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Spencer MB(1999) Social and cultural influences on school adjustment: The application of an identityfocused cultural ecological perspective. Educational Psychologist 34(1), 43-45. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15326985ep3401_4
- Sternberg RJ, Lubart TI(1992) Buy low and sell high: An investment approach to creativity. Current Directions in Psychological Science 1(1), 28-57.
- Sternberg RJ, Grigorenko EL, Singer JL(2004) Creativity: The Psychology of Creative Potential and Realization. Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association.
- Vollrath M, Torgersen S, Alnaes R(1995) Personality as longterm predictor of coping. Personality and Individual Differences 18, 117-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/0191-8869(94)00110-E
- Yoo TY, Kim MU, Lee DH(1997) The Big-Five personality test : Development and criterion-related validation. Korean J Industrial and Organizational Psychology 10(1), 85-102.
- Influence of Self-directed Learning Ability and Creativity on College Adjustment in Nursing Students vol.19, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.4.549