- Volume 35 Issue 2
A case of aspergillosis was observed in a flock of 5~10 days old commercial domestic ducks in Jeongeup. The clinical signs were depression and breathing by gasping or rapid opening of the bill. Grossly, lung was attached to pleura with white cheesy plaques. Numerous nodules was found in lung. Histopathologically, severe granulomatous pneumonia with intralesional fungal hypha were observed in the lung. Aspergillus spp. colonies was isolated from fungal culture and identified by polymer chain reaction.
Aspergillosis;Commercial domestic ducks;Aspergillus spp.;PCR
- Arne P, Thierry S, Wang D, Deville M, Le Loc'h G, Desoutter A, Féménia F, Nieguitsila A, Huang W, Chermette R, Guillot J. 2011. Aspergillus fumigatus in poultry. Int J Microbiol 2011: 746356.
- Friend M, Franson JC. 1999. Field manual of wildlife disease. pp. 129-134. In: Friend M(ed.). Aspergillosis. USGS Division National Wildlife Health Center.
- Islam MN, Rashid SMH, Juli MSB, Rima UK, Khatun M. 2009. Pneumomycosis in chickens: clinical, pathological and therapeutical investigation. Int J Sustain Crop Prod 4: 16-21.
- Jean YH, Kim JH, Kim DY, Jeong SW, Cho DY, Moon OK. 2005. Systemic aspergillosis associated with bovine viral diarrhea virus infection in Korean native calves. Korean J Vet Res 45: 93-97.
- Julian RJ, Goryo M. 1990. Pulmonary aspergillosis causing right ventricular failure and ascites in meat-type chickens. Avian Pathol 19: 643-654. https://doi.org/10.1080/03079459008418720
- Kim JH, Kang KI, Kim WI, Sohn HJ, Lee SK, Jean YH. 2002. Pulmonary aspergillosis and renal oxalosis in an elk. Korean J Vet Res 42: 383-387.
- Kunkle RA. 2003. Fungal infection. pp. 883-895. In: Saif YM, Barnes HJ, Glisson JR, Fadly AM, McDougald LA, Swayne DE(ed.). Diseases of poultry. 11th ed. Iowa State University Press, Ame, Iowa.
- Mirhendi H, Diba K, Kordbached P, Jalalizand N, Makimura K. 2007. Identification of pathogenic Aspergillus species by a PCR-restriction enzyme method. J Med Microbiol 56: 1568-1570. https://doi.org/10.1099/jmm.0.47319-0
- Park SJ, Kim SH, Shin IH, An SU, Jung TS. 1993. A case of avian aspergillosis and effect of mold inhibitor. Korean J Vet Serv 17: 83-88.
- Perelman B, Kuttin ES. 1992. Aspergillosis in ostriches. Avian Pathol 21: 159-163. https://doi.org/10.1080/03079459208418830
- Pier AC, Richard JL. 1992. Mycoses and mycotoxicoses of animals caused by aspergilli. pp. 233-248. In: Bennett JW, Klich MA(ed.). Aspergillus: biology and industrial applications. Butterworth-Heinemann, Reed Publishing Inc, USA.
- Sajid MA, Khan IA, Rauf U. 2006. Aspergillus fumigatus commercial poultry flocks, a serious threat to poultry infustry in Pakistan. J Anmi Pl Sci 16: 79-81.
- Shankar BP. 2008. Common respiratory disease of poultry. Vet World 1: 217-219.