- Volume 2 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Investigation of Dimension Changes in Under Pressure Hydraulic Sediment Flushing Cavity of Storage Dams Under Effect of Localized Vibrations in Sediment Layers
Dodaran, Asgar Ahadpour;Park, Sang-Kil;Mardashti, Asadollah;Noshadi, Masoud
- Received : 2012.03.22
- Accepted : 2012.05.25
- Published : 2012.05.31
Several methods have been proposed to control the sedimentation process. These include catchment management, flushing, sluicing, density current venting, and dredging. Flushing is used to erode previously deposited sediments. In pressurized flushing, the sediment in the vicinity of the outlet openings is scoured and a funnel shaped crater is created. In this study, the effect of localized vibrations in the sediment layers on the dimensions of the flushing cone was investigated experimentally. For this purpose, experiments were carried out with two bottom outlet diameters, five discharge releases for each desired water depth, and one water depth above the center of the bottom outlets. The results indicate that the volume and dimensions of the flushing cone are strongly affected by localized vibrations.
Pressure Fushing;Local Scouring;Bottom Outlet;Sediment;Localized Vibrations
- Brandt, S. A.(2000). "A review of reservoir desolation", International Journal of Sediment Research. Vol. 15, No. 2. pp. 321-342.
- Brown, C.B.(1943), "The Control of Reservoir Silting", United States Department of Agriculture, Miscellaneous Publication No. 521, Washington, D.C. p. 166.
- Emamgholizadeh, S., Bina, M., Fathimoghadam, M. and Ghomeyshi, M.(2006). "Investigation and Evaluation of the Pressure Flushing through Storage Reservoir", ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences. Vol. 1, No. 4.
- Fang, D. and Cao, S.(1996). "An experimental study on scour funnel in front of a sediment flushing outlet of a reservoir", Proceedings of the 6th Federal Interagency Sedimentation Conference, Las Vegas, March 10-14 1996, pp. I.78-I.84.
- Meshkati Shahmirzadi, M. E(2010). "Experimental investigation of pressure flushing operation in reservoir storage", MSc thesis, Gorgan University of Agriculture Sciences and Natural R sources, Iran.
- Qian, N.(1982). "Reservoir sedimentation and slope stability; technical and environmental effects", Fourteenth International Congress on Large Dams, Transactions, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 3-7 May, Vol. III. pp. 639-690.
- Scheuerlein, H., Tritthart, M. and Nunez Gonzalez, F.(2004). "Numerical and physical modeling concerning the removal of sediment deposits from reservoirs", Conference proceeding of Hydraulic of Dams and River Structures, Tehran, Iran.
- Shen, H.W., Lai, J.S. and Zhao, D.(1993). "Hydraulic desiltation for noncohesive sediment", Proceeding of the 1993 Annual ASCE Hydraulic Engineering Conference, San Francisco, H.W Shen, S.T. Su, and F. Wen, eds, pp. 119-124.
- Shen, H.W. and Lai, J. S.(1996). "Sustain reservoir useful life by flushing sediment", International Journal of Sediment Research. Vol. 11(3): 10-17.
- White, W.R. and Bettess, R., The feasibility of flushing sediments through reservoirs, Challenges in African Hydrology and Water Resources, Proceeding of Harare Symposium, July, D.E. Walling, S.S.D. Foster, P. Wurzel, eds, IAHS Publication No, 1984.
- Improving the Pressurized Flushing Efficiency in Reservoirs: an Experimental Study vol.31, pp.14, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11269-017-1770-y