- Volume 23 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A comparison study on characteristics of IPTV and digital CATV subscribers
IPTV가입자와 디지털 CATV가입자의 특성비교에 관한 연구
- Ryu, Gui-Yeol (Department of Computer Science, SeoKyeong University) ;
- Rhee, Eun-Jun (IPTV Infrastructure Research Team, ETRI) ;
- Lee, Hyun-Woo (IPTV Infrastructure Research Team, ETRI)
- Received : 2012.05.14
- Accepted : 2012.06.20
- Published : 2012.07.31
The object of study is to compare the characteristics of IPTV (Internet protocol television) subscribers and digital CATV (Community antenna television) subscribers. We used the adjusted residuals. We did gang survey for 100 subscribers in Seoul, Kyeonggi or Incheon regions. Compared to digital CATV, IPTV seems to have appropriate contents for interactive services and high satisfaction level for cost, but high dissatisfaction level for channels. Digital CATV subscribers would know and subscribe passively, compared to IPTV subscribers. IPTV subscribers are more satisfied than digital CATV subscribers even though IPTV is higher cost. Main content of digital CATV is sports, which is not interactive contents. People think IPTV is an innovative service which let subscribers see wanted contents always, but digital CATV is an extension of CATV. So digital CATV cannot use advantages of interactive services. Even though two services are almost same, they are very different in recognition.
Supported by : 한국전자통신연구원
- Ahn, K. (2011). Principle of marketing research, Hakhyunsa, Seoul.
- Jo, K. (2008). Trends of the Korean digital CATV services, Korea Electronics Technology Institute, Seoul.
- Kim, D. (1996). On the categorical variable clustering. Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, 7, 219-226.
- Kim, D. (2008). Comparison and analysis of IPTV and digital CATV, Master Thesis, Ajou University, Kyeonggi.
- Kim, D. (2010). On the clustering of huge categorical data. Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, 21, 1353-1359.
- KISDI Broadcasting Media Research Division (2011). Subscribers numbers of pay TV, KISDI, Kyeonggi.
- Kwon, J. and Byun, S. and Jahng, J. (2006), Evaluating the economic value of 3D broadcasting service based on the potential market demand. Journal of Korea Technology Innovation Society, 9, 131-148.
- Rho, H. (2008). Theory and practices of SPSS correspondence analysis, Hanol Press, Seoul.
- Ryu, G (2011). A study on preferable contents depending on regions and terminal types for high speed mobile internet. Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, 22, 701-715.
- R&DBIZ (2010). Market trends of IPTV , Korea Electronics Technology Institute, Seoul.
- Yang, S. and Kang, H. and Kim, C. (2007) Initial mode decision method for clustering categorical data. Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, 18, 481-488.