- Volume 23 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The effects of Cox distraction manipulation on functional assessment measures and disc herniation index in patients with L4-5 herniated disc
칵스 신연교정이 L4-5 추간판 탈출증 환자의 기능적 평가측정과 추간판탈출지수에 미치는 효과
- Received : 2012.06.15
- Accepted : 2012.07.08
- Published : 2012.07.31
The purpose of the present study was to determine the effect of a 4 week course of Cox distraction manipulation (CDM) combined with therapeutic modalities on the treatment of patients with L4-5 herniated nucleus pulposus (HNP). A total of 15 patients with L4-5 HNP (mean age, 37.76 years; age range 20-50years) participated in the study. A 4 week course of CDM combined with therapeutic modalities was delivered to the patients for 6 days per week for the first two weeks, and three times per week for two additional weeks. The entire treatment consisted of 18 visits over 4 week period. Comparisons of changes in the muscle strengthening (MS), straight leg raise (SLR), and oswestry disability index (ODI) at pre-intervention, after two weeks treatment sessions, and at discharge (after 18 treatment sessions) were analyzed. Comparisons of changes in the disc herniation index (DHI) at pre-intervention and at discharge were analyzed using the paired t-test. There were significant improvements in the outcome measures of MS Ibs, SLR test, and ODI score after 2 weeks and 4 weeks sessions of CDM combined with therapeutic modalities as compared with the pre-intervention. However, no significant different pre-test and post-test DHI. CDM combined with therapeutic modalities appears to be a safe and efficacious, noninvasive treatment modality for patients with L4-5 HNP.
Cox distraction manipulation;disc herniation index;herniated nucleus pulposus
- Avramov, A. I., Cavanugh, J. M., Ozaktay, C. A., Gretchell, T. V. and King, A. I. (1992). The effect of controlled mechanical loading on group II, , and IV afferent units from the lumbar facet joint and III surrounding tissue. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery American, 74, 1464-1471. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-199274100-00005
- Bailey, W. M. (2006). A paractical guide to the application of AJNR guidelines for nomenclature and classification of lumbar disc pathology in magnetic resonance imaging(MRI). Radiography, 12, 175- 182. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radi.2005.05.004
- Beira, R. and Peers, A. (1998). A study of the effects of chiropractic therapy on the diameter of the spinal canal in patients with low back pain and radiculopathy. Journal of Neuromusculoskel System, 6, 114- 126.
- Bulbulian, R., Burke, J. and Dishman, J. D. (2002). Spinal reflex excitability changes after lumbar spine passive flexion mobilization. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, 25, 526-532. https://doi.org/10.1067/mmt.2002.127073
- Cox, J. M. (1998). Chiropractic and distraction adjustments today. In Low Back Pain: Mechanisms, Diagnosis and Treatment, 5th Ed., edited by J. M. Cox, Lippincot Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, 1-16.
- Cox, J. M. (2000). A review of biomechanics of the central nervous system. Part I: Spinal canal deformations caused by changes in posture. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, 23, 211-217. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0161-4754(00)90252-5
- Cox, J. M. (2012). Chiropractic management of a patient with lumbar spine pain due to synovial cyst: A case report. Journal of Chiropractic Medicine, 10, 255-210.
- Cox, J. M. and Cox II, J. M. (2005). Chiropractic treatment of lumbar spine synovial cysts: A report of two cases. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, 28, 143- 147. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmpt.2005.01.011
- Fagerlund, M. K., Thelander, U. and Friberg, S. (1990). Size of lumbar disc hernias measured using computed tomography and related to sciatic symptoms. Acta Radiologica, 31, 555-8. https://doi.org/10.3109/02841859009173096
- Gay, R. E., Bronfort, G. and Evans, R. L. (2005). Distraction manipulation of the lumbar spine : A review of the literature. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, 28, 266-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmpt.2005.03.012
- Gay, R. E., Ilharreborde, B., Zhao, K. D., Berglund, L. J., Bronfort, G. and An, K. N. (2008). Stress in lumbar intervertebral discs during distraction: A cadaveric study. The Spine Journal, 8, 982-990. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spinee.2007.07.398
- Goh, K. J., Khalifa, W., Anslow, P., Cadoux, H. T. and Donaghy, M. (2004). The clinical syndrome associated with lumbar spinal stenosis. European Neurology, 52, 242-249. https://doi.org/10.1159/000082369
- Gong, W. T., Cheun, H. J. and Lee, K. M. (2010). The effect of cervical stabiliazed exercise and joint mobilization on maximum muscle strength and static muscle endurance of cervical region. Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, 21, 33-42.
- Gudavalli, M. R. (1999). Biomechanics research on flexion-distraction procedure. In Low Back Pain: Mechanisms, Diagnosis and Treatment, 6th Ed., edited by J. M. Cox, Lippincot Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, 263-268.
- Hasegawa, T., Mikawa, Y., Watanabe, R. and An, H. S. (1996). Morphometirc analysis of the lumbosacral nerve roots and dorsal toot ganglia by magnetic resonance imaging. Spine, 21, 1005-1009. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199605010-00001
- Hides, J. A., Richardson, C. A. and Jull, G. A. (1996). Multifidus muscle recovery is not automatic after resolution of acute, first episodes low back pain. Spine, 21, 2763-2769. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199612010-00011
- Joung, K. H. and Chung, S. S. (2011). Health-related quality of life among home-dwelling people with arthritis in Korea: Comparative study of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, 22, 555-563.
- Kim, D. Y., Lee, S. H., Lee, H. Y., Lee, H. J., Chang, S. B., Chung, S. K. and Kim, H. J. (2005). Validation of the Korean version of the Oswestry disability index. Spine, 30, 123-127. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.brs.0000157172.00635.3a
- Kruse, R. A. and Cambron, J. A. (2011a). Cox decompression chiropractic manipulation of a patient with postsurgical lumbar fusion: A case report. Journal of Chiropractic Medicine, 10, 255-260. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcm.2011.01.011
- Kruse, R. A. and Cambron, J. A. (2011b). Chriopractic management of postsurgical lumbar spine pain: A retrospective study of 32 case. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, 34, 408-412. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmpt.2011.05.011
- Kruse, R. A., Gudavalli, S. and Cambron, J. A. (2007). Chiropractic treatment of a pregnant patient with lumbar radiculopathy. Journal of Chiropractic Medicine, 6, 153-158. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcme.2007.08.005
- Ma, S. Y. (2010a). The effects of mulligan manual therapy on pain and muscle assessment questionnaire in female elders with osteoarthritis of the knee. Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, 21, 641-650.
- Ma, S. Y. (2010b). Effect of whole body cryotherapy with spinal decompression on lumbar disc herniation by functional assessment measures. Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, 21, 1101-1108.
- Macario, A., Richmond, C., Auster, M. and Perglizzi, J. V. (2008). Treatment of 94 outpatients with chronic discogenic low back pain with the DRX9000: A retrospective chart review. Pain Practice, 8, 11-17. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1533-2500.2007.00167.x
- Manison, A. M. (2011). Chiropractic management using Cox cervical flexion-distraction technique for a disk herniation with left foraminal narrowing in a 64-year-old man. Journal of Chiropractic Medicine, 10, 316-321. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcm.2011.04.004
- McLain, R. F. (1994). Mechanoreceptor endings in human cervical facet joints. Spine, 19, 495-501. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199403000-00001
- Milette, P. C. (2000). Classification, diagnostic imaging, and imaging characterization of a lumbar herniated disk. Radiologic Clinic of North America, 38, 1267-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0033-8389(08)70006-X
- Nakagawa, H., Kamimura, M., Takahara, K., Hashidate, H., Kawaguchi, A., Uchiyama, S. and Miyasaka, T. (2007). Optimal duration of conservative treatment for lumbar disc herniation depending on the type of herniation. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience, 14, 104-109. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jocn.2006.08.001
- Patterson, M. M. and Steinmetz, J. E. (1986). Long lasting alterations of spinal reflexes: A potential basis for somatic dysfunction. Manual Medicine, 2, 38-42.
- Schaible, H. G. and Grubb, B. D. (1993). Afferent and spinal mechanism of joint pain. Pain, 55, 5-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3959(93)90183-P
- Troup, J. D. G. and Videman, T. (1989). Inactivity and the aetiopathogenesis of musculoskeletal disorders. Clinical Biomechanics, 4, 173-178. https://doi.org/10.1016/0268-0033(89)90022-3
- Waddell, G., Somerville, D., Henderson, I. and Newton, M. (1992). Objective clinical evaluation of physical impairment in chronic low back pain. Spine, 17, 617-628. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199206000-00001
- Wheeler, A. H. and Hanley, E. N. (1995). Nonoperative treatment for low back pain rest to restoration. Spine, 20, 375-378. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199502000-00023
- Zusman, M. (1988). Prolonged relief from articular soft tissue pain with passive joint movement. Manual Medicine, 3, 100-102.
- Effects of Manual Therapy on Pain and Function of Patients with Chronic Low Back Pain vol.29, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.18857/jkpt.2017.29.2.85