- Volume 13 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Flight Test Measurement and Assessment of a Flapping Micro Air Vehicle
Kim, Jong-Heon;Park, Chan-Yik;Jun, Seung-Moon;Chung, Dae-Keun;Kim, Jong-Rok;Hwang, Hee-Chul;Stanford, Bret;Beran, Philip;Parker, Gregory;Mrozinski, Denny
- 투고 : 2012.02.29
- 심사 : 2012.05.02
- 발행 : 2012.06.30
Flight test of flapping micro air vehicles (FMAVs) is carried out using an instrumented measurement system to obtain various engineering parameters and hence to assess the flight performance of the vehicles through the data investigation. An indoor flight test facility equipped with a motion capture system and tracking cameras is used for the work presented in this paper. Maneuvers including straight-level flight, ground flapping, takeoff and landing are tested. Spatial position and orientation data are obtained from the retro-reflective tracking markers attached to the vehicles. Subsequent test analysis is carried out by generating performance parameters from raw data and then assessing the flight performance by comparison of the vehicles. The main findings of this work confirm that the test method and procedures presented here enable the systematic numerical data measurement and assessment of the flying performances of these vehicles, and show the applicability for the test and evaluation of general flapping MAVs.
Micro Air Vehicle (MAV);Flapping Wing;Motion Capture Tracking System;Flight Test and Assessment
- Shyy, W., Lian, Y., Tang, J., Liu, H., Trizila, P., Stanford, B., Bernal, L., Cesnik, C., Friedmann, P., Ifju, P., "Computational Aerodynamics of Low Reynolds Number Plunging, Pitching and Flexible Wings for MAV Applications", Acta Mechanica Sinica, Vol. 24, No. 4, 2008, pp. 351-373. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10409-008-0164-z
- Azuma, A., Masato, O., Kunio, Y., "Aerodynamic Characteristic of Wings at Low Reynolds Numbers", Progress in Astro. & Aero., Vol. 195, Mueller TJ (ed.), 2001, pp.341-398.
- Vicon Motion Systems, http://www.vicon.com
- Ulrich, E., Humbert, J., Pines, D., "Pitch and Heave Control of Robotic Samara Micro Air Vehicles", Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 47, No. 4, 2010, pp. 1290-1299. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.47197
- Grauer, J., Ulrich, E., Hubbard Jr., J., Pines, D., Humbert, J., "System Identification of an Ornithopter Aerodynamics Model", AIAA Atmospheric Flight Mechanics Conference, Toronto, Canada, August 2010.
- Lin, C., Hwu, C., Young, W., "The Thrust and Lift of an Ornithopter's Membrane Wings with Simple Flapping Motion", Aerospace Science Technology, Vol. 10, No. 2, 2006, pp. 111-119. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ast.2005.10.003
- Stanford, B., Beran, P., and Kobayashi, M., "Aeroelastic Optimization of Flapping Wing Venation: A Cellular Division Approach", AIAA Journal, accepted for publication, 2012.
- Warrick, D., Bundle, M., Dial, K., "Bird Maneuvering Flight: Blurred Bodies, Clear Head", Integrative Comparative Biology", Vol. 42, No. 1, 2002, pp. 141-148. https://doi.org/10.1093/icb/42.1.141
- Ho, S., Nassef, H., Pornsinsirirak, N., Tai, Y., Ho, C., "Unsteady Aerodynamics and Flow Control for Flapping Wing Flyers", Progress in Aerospace Sciences, Vol. 39, 2003, pp 635-681. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paerosci.2003.04.001
- Liu, H., "Integrated Modeling of Insect Flight: from Morphology, Kinematics to Aerodynamics", Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 228, No. 2, 2009, pp. 439-459. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcp.2008.09.020
- Kim, J. H. and Kim. C., "Computational Investigation of Three-Dimensional Unsteady Flowfield Characteristics around Insects' Flapping Flight", AIAA Journal, Vol. 49, No. 5, 2011, pp. 953-968. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.J050485
- Free Flight Testing and Performance Evaluation of a Passively Morphing Ornithopter vol.7, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5139/IJASS.2012.13.2.238
- Bird-mimetic Wing System of Flapping-wing Micro Air Vehicle with Autonomous Flight Control Capability vol.13, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5139/IJASS.2012.13.2.238
- Indoor autonomous flight of ornithopter using motion capture system vol.1, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5139/IJASS.2012.13.2.238
- Error analysis and assessment of unsteady forces acting on a flapping wing micro air vehicle: free flight versus wind-tunnel experimental methods vol.10, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5139/IJASS.2012.13.2.238