- Volume 13 Issue 2
Satellite devices for fine attitude control of the Science & Technology Satellite-2 (STSAT-2). Based on the mission requirements of STSAT-2, the conventional analog-type sun sensors were found to be inadequate, motivating the development of a compact, fast and fine digital sun sensor (FDSS). The FDSS uses a CMOS image sensor and has an accuracy of less than 0.03degrees, an update rate of 5Hz and a weight of less than 800g. A pinhole-type aperture is substituted for the optical lens to minimize its weight. The target process speed is obtained by utilizing the Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA), which acquires images from the CMOS sensor, and stores and processes the image data. The sensor accuracy is maintained by a rigorous centroid algorithm. This paper describes the FDSS designs, realizations, tests and calibration results.
STSAT-2;FDSS;CMOS-image sensor(CIS);Pinhole-type aperture;Centroid algorithm
- Ok, G., Sun sensor manufacturing for Satellite on study, M.S. thesis, KAIST, Daejeon, South Korea, 1993, pp. 1-30.
- Hales, J. H., and Pedersen, M., "Two-axes MOEMS Sun Sensor for Pico Satellites", Proc. of the 16th Annual AIAAA/ USU Conference on Small Satellites, Logan, USA, 2002.
- Hecht, Eugene, Hecht Optics, Addison-Wesley, New York, USA, 2000, pp. 585-615.
- Yadid-Pecht, O., Pain B., Staller C., Clark C., and Fossum E., "CMOS Active Pixel Sensor Star Tracker with Regional Electronic Shutter", IEEE Journal of Solid State Circuits, Vol. 32, No. 2, 1997, pp. 285-288. https://doi.org/10.1109/4.551925
- Wertz, J. R., Spacecraft Attitude Determination and Control, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, London, UK, 1988, pp. 221-230.
- Clarke, T. A., Cooper, M. A. R., and Fryer, J. G., "An estimator for the random error in subpixel target location and its use in the bundle adjustment", Optical 3D measurements techniques II, Wichman, Karlsruhe, 1993, pp. 161-168.
- Lason, W. J., and Wertz, J. R., Space mission analysis and design 2nd edition, , London, UK, 1992, pp. 360-363.
- Micro digital sun sensor with linear detector vol.87, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5139/IJASS.2012.13.2.260