- Volume 12 Issue 7
The foundation of the development in modern typography is based on the era of International Typographical Style and Modern Typography that valued morphological functionality and rationality to achieve an accurate conveyance of meaning. However, with the advance of postmodernism, the view that the aesthetic and conceptual aspect must be included in its interpretation rather than its rational functionality was prominent. Indeed, the works of Dan Friedman and April Greiman, two graphic designers that are known to be the most representative of the post-modernistic era, displayed that graphic design works can also serve as a method for a more free artistic expression, unlike works of Modern Typography. This move towards aesthetic graphics was first started by Wolfgang Weingart. His various attempts at expanding the concept of typography had a significant impact on the development of New Wave and his experimentalist attitude brought about a ground-breaking change to the functional design and formative expression of modern typography. However, this thesis will consider the theoretical background of the typographical designs displayed in Wiengart's works and the experimental methods thereof, and will not attempt to evaluate Weingart's pioneering role and achievements. Furthermore, this thesis will shed new light on the argument that the Weingart's works are not based on the authorship view of post-modernistic typography and are rather utilized to expand the concept of typography based on a syntactical approach.
- 릭 포이너, 민수홍 역, no more rules, 홍디자인, p.15, 2010.
- 제레미 리프킨, 이희재 역, 소유의 종말, 민음사, 2001.
- 에밀 루더, 안상수 역. 타이포그래피, 안그라픽스, 2001.
- 박대순, 현대디자인용어사전, 디자인오피스, p.288, 1994.
- Anthony Froshaug, "Typography ancient and modern," studio international, Vol.180, No.924, 1970.
- S. Heller and E. Pettit, Design Dialogue, Allworth Press, p.7, 1998.
- 필립. B 맥스, 그래픽 디자인의 역사, 디자인하우스, p.332, 1985.
- Jan Tschichold, Ausgewaehlte Aufsaetze ueber Fragen der Gestalt des Buches und der Typographie, (2. edl. Basel: Birkhaeuser), p.11 1987.
- Jan Tschichold, Ausgewaehlte Aufsaetze ueber Fragen der Gestalt des Buches und der Typographie, (2. edl. Basel: Birkhaeuser), p.383 1987.
- 장효진, 김지현, "글자의 비언어적 시각표현을 통해서 본 타이포그래피의 영역 확장 가능성과 그 의미", 기초조형학연구, Vol.8. No.1-47, p.544, 2007.
- 릭 포이너, 민수홍 역, no more rules, 홍디자인, p.36-38, 2010.
- 스티븐 헬러 외 42인, 김은영 역, 왜 디자이너는 생각하지 못 하는가 II, 정글, p.48, 1997.
- 김지현, "글자기능의 극대화를 위한 기능적 타이포그래피의 재해석", 기초조형학연구, Vol.5, No.3, p.18, 2004.
- 마이클 베이루트 외 3인, 이지현 역, 그래픽 디자인 들여다 보기 3, 비즈앤비즈, pp.314-339, 2010.
- 릭 포이너, 민수홍 역, no more rules, 홍디자인, pp.33-34, 2010.