- Volume 7 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Back EMF Design of an AFPM Motor using PCB Winding by Quasi 3D Space Harmonic Analysis Method
- Jang, Dae-Kyu (Department of Electrical Engineering, Donga University) ;
- Chang, Jung-Hwan (Department of Electrical Engineering, Donga University) ;
- Jang, Gun-Hee (PREM, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Hanyang University)
- Received : 2012.01.06
- Accepted : 2012.03.07
- Published : 2012.09.01
This paper presents a method to design the waveform of a back electromotive force (back EMF) of an axial flux permanent magnet (AFPM) motor using printed circuit board (PCB) windings. When the magnetization distribution of permanent magnet (PM) is given, the magnetic field in the air gap region is calculated by the quasi three dimensional (3D) space harmonic analysis (SHA) method. Once the flux density distribution in the winding region is determined, the required shape of the back EMF can be obtained by adjusting the winding distribution. This can be done by modifying the distance between patterns of PCB to control the harmonics in the winding distribution. The proposed method is verified by finite element analysis (FEA) results and it shows the usefulness of the method in eliminating a specific harmonic component in the back EMF waveform of a motor.
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning
- Dr. Duane Hanselman, Brushless Permanent Magnet Motor Design, 2nd ed., The Writers's Collective, 2003, pp. 151-227, 343-366.
- M. Markovic and Y. Perriard, "Simplified Design Methodology for a Slotless Brushless DC Motor," IEEE Trans. Magn., vol 42, no 12, 2006, pp 3842-3846. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2006.884108
- A.J.A. Vandenput and J. C. Compter, Design and development of a high-speed axial flux permanentmagnet machine, Funda Sahin, 2001, pp. 110-139.
- Z. Q. Zhu, D. Howe and C. C. Chan, "Improved analytical model for predicting the magnetic field distribution in brushless permanent magnet machines," IEEE Trans. Magn., vol. 38, no. 1, pp.229-238, Jan. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/20.990112
- T. F. Chan, "Field computation for an Axial Flux permanent-Magnet Synchronous Generator," IEEE Trans. Magn., vol 24, no 1, 2009, pp. 1-11.
- J. Azzouzi, G. Barakat and B. Dakyo, "Quasi-3D Analytical Modeling of the Magnetic Field of an Axial Flux Permanent Magnets Synchronous Machine", IEEE Trans. Magn., vol. 20 no. 4, 2005, pp. 746-752.
- Performance analysis of Vernier slotted doubly salient permanent magnet generator for wind power vol.42, pp.13, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2016.07.043