- Volume 41 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Antioxidant and Antibacterial Activities of Grape Pomace Fermented by Various Microorganisms
발효 미생물에 따른 포도가공 부산물의 항산화 활성 및 항균활성
- Kim, Kyoung-Hee (Dept. of Food and Nutrition, Chungnam National University) ;
- Yun, Young-Sik (Dept. of Food and Nutrition, Chungnam National University) ;
- Chun, Se-Young (Dept. of Food and Nutrition, Chungnam National University) ;
- Yook, Hong-Sun (Dept. of Food and Nutrition, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2012.03.28
- Accepted : 2012.06.22
- Published : 2012.08.31
The antioxidant activities and antibacterial activities of grape pomace fermented using a variety of useful microorganisms were analyzed. There were several experimental groups: the control, with non-fermented grape pomace; the BS group, fermented by Bacillus subtilis; the LP group, fermented by Lactobacillus plantarum; the LC group, fermented by L. casei; the CU group, fermented by Candida utilis; the Y1 group, fermented by Saccharomyces cerevisiae strain CHY1011; the Y2 group, fermented by S. cerevisiae strain ZP 541; and the M group, fermented by a mixed strain culture of LP, LC, and CU. The yield of freeze-dried powder of fermented grape pomace by BS, LP, LC, CU, Y1, Y2, and M was 10.74%, 9.36%, 8.68%, 9.55%, 7.49%, 9.60%, and 9.71% w/w, respectively. The total polyphenol content of grape pomace showed the highest value in the control, but the fermented LP had higher total polyphenol content than those of other fermented grape pomace. The control and fermented LP had 0.16 mg/mL and 0.28 mg/mL as
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Chang SW, Shin NS, Song JH, Park YD, Rho YT. 2010. Production of powder using concentrated by-products of grape processing. Korean J Food Preserv 17: 275-280.
- Lee EJ, Kwon JH. 2006. Characteristics of microwave-assisted extraction for grape seed components with different solvents. Korean J Food Preserv 13: 216-222.
- Maier T, Schieber A, Kammerer DR, Carle R. 2009. Residues of grape (Vitis vinifera L.) seed oil production as a valuable source of phenolic antioxidants. Food Chem 112: 551-559. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2008.06.005
- Fruit processing status. Mifaff digital Library. http://library.mifaff.go.kr/Skyblueimage/2145.pdf. p 7.
- Francis FJ. 1992. A new group of food colorants. Trends Food Sci Technol 3: 27-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/0924-2244(92)90112-A
- Lu YR, Foo LY. 1999. The polyphenol constituents of grape pomace. Food Chem 65: 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(98)00245-3
- Hogan S, Canning C, Sun S, Sun X, Zhou K. 2010. Effects of grape pomace antioxidant extract on oxidative stress and inflammation in diet induced obese mice. J Agric Food Chem 58: 11250-11256. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf102759e
- Um MY, Kim MK. 2002. Effect of grape intakes on lipid metabolism of rats during aging. Korean J Nutr 35: 713- 728.
- Higa T. 1995. Use of microorganisms in agriculture & their positive effects on environmental safety. Nobunkyo, Tokyo, Japan. p 42-74.
- Higa T. 1998. The complete data EM encyclopedia. Sogo Unicom, Tokyo, Japan. p 182-237.
- Han SK. 2005. Quality improvement of effective microorganisms (EM) pork produced by using EM. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 34: 934-737. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2005.34.5.734
- Smid EJ, Hugenholtz J. 2010. Functional genomics for food fermentation processes. Annu Rev Food Sci Technol 1: 497-519. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.food.102308.124143
- Mathew AG, Chattin SE, Robbins CM, Golden DA. 1998. Effects of a direct-fed yeast culture on enteric microbial populations, fermentation acids, and performance of weanling pigs. J Anim Sci 76: 2138-2145. https://doi.org/10.2527/1998.7682138x
- Kamm K, Hoppe S, Breves G, Schroder B, Schemann M. 2004. Effects of the probiotic yeast Saccharomyces boulardi on the neurochemistry of myenteric neurones in pig jejunum. Neurogastroenterol Motil 16: 53-60. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2982.2003.00458.x
- Folin O, Denis W. 1912. On phosphotungastic-phosphomolybdic compounds as color reagents. J Biol Chem 12: 239- 249.
- Blois MS. 1958. Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical. Nature 181: 1198-1200
- Pellegrin N, Roberta R, Min Y, Catherine RE. 1998. Screening of dietary carotenoids and carotenoid-rich fruit extract for antioxidant activities applying 2,2'-azinobis (3-ethylenbenzothiazoline- 6-sulfonic acid) radical cation decolorization assay. Method Enzymol 299: 379-389.
- Benzie IFF, Strain JJ. 1996. The ferric reducing ability of plasma (FRAP) as a measure of "antioxidant power": The FRAP assay. Anal Biochem 230: 70-79.
- Lee SB. 2010. A study on the biological properties of fermentation Bangpungtongseongsan. PhD Dissertation. Pukyong National University, Busan, Korea. p 31-34.
- Alpen EL, Mandel HG. 1960. A rapid assay method for tritium in bacterial cells. Biochim Biophys Acta 43: 317-321. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-3002(60)90442-X
- Kang DH, Kim JW, Youn KS. 2011. Antioxidant activities of extracts from fermented mulberry (Cudrania tricuspidata) fruit, and inhibitory actions on elastase and tyrosinase. Korean J Food Preserv 18: 236-243. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2011.18.2.236
- Lee SG, Kim HJ, Lee SP, Lee IS. 2009. Antioxidant and anticancer activities of defatted soybean grits fermented by Bacillus subtilis NUC1. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 657-662. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.6.657
- Kim YS, Jo C, Choi GH, Lee KH. 2011. Changes of antioxidative components and activity of fermented tea during fermentation period. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 40: 1073- 1078. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.8.1073
- Jhoo JW. 2008. Anti-inflammatory effects of purpurogallin carboxylic acid, an oxidation product of gallic acid in fermented tea. Korean J Food Sci Technol 40: 707-711.
- Kammerer D, Claus A, Carle R, Schieber A. 2004. Polyphenol screening of pomace from red and white grape varieties (Vitis vinifera L.) by HPLC-DAD-MA/MS. J Agric Food Chem 52: 4360-4367. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf049613b
- Park JC, Cha JY, Lee CH, Doh ES, Kang IH, Cho YS. 2009. Biological activities and chemical characteristics of Monacus- fermented Korean red ginseng. J Life Sci 11: 1553-1561. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2009.19.11.1553
- Jeon CP, Lee JB, Choi CS, Kwon GS. 2011. Biological activities of ethanol extracts from Monascus-fermented Chinese yam. J Life Sci 8: 1142-1148. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2011.21.8.1142
- Kang YH, Park YK, Lee GD. 1996. The nitrite scavenging, and electron donating ability of phenolic compounds. Korean J Food Sci Technol 28: 232-239.
- Park SH, Lee HJ, Ma SJ, Park KH, Moon JH. 2009. An investigation on establishment of index for estimation of quality and preservation period of Pu-erh tea. J Kor Tea Soc 15: 59-67.
- Chaiyasut C, Kumar T, Tipduangta P, Rungseevijitprapa W. 2010. Isoflavone content and antioxidant activity of Thai fermented soybean and its capsule formulation. Afr J Biotechnol 9: 4120-4126.
- Cho EK, Cho HE, Choi YJ. 2010. Antioxidant and antibacterial activities and tyrosinase and elastase inhibitory effect of fermented Omija (Schizandra chinensis Baillon) beverage. J Appl Biol Chem 53: 212-218. https://doi.org/10.3839/jabc.2010.038
- Kang DH, Kim HS. 2010. Characterization and anti- Helicobacter pylori activity of Xanthium strumarium L. extract on lactic acid fermentation. KSBB J 25: 244-250.
- Applications of Wine Pomace in the Food Industry: Approaches and Functions vol.16, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/1541-4337.12238
- Antioxidant and Synergistic Activities of Fruit and Vegetable Concentrates vol.47, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2015.47.2.240
- Antioxidative, Antimicrobial and Anticytotoxic Activities of Seungmagalgeuntang and Fermented Seungmagalgeuntang vol.43, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.7.980
- Quality characteristics and antioxidant effects of grape juice obtained with different extraction methods vol.20, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2013.20.6.784
- Physicochemical Characteristics and Biological Activities of Rice and Amaranth Fermented by Bacillus subtilis KMKW4 vol.44, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.4.540
- Antioxidative Activity of Mushroom Water Extracts Fermented by Lactic Acid Bacteria vol.43, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.1.080
- Antioxidant and Immunological Activities of Sparassis crispa Fermented with Meyerozyma guilliermondii FM vol.45, pp.10, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.10.1398