- Volume 25 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Effects of Purple-fleshed Sweet Potato (Ipomoera batatas Cultivar Ayamurasaki) Powder Addition on Color and Texture Properties and Sensory Characteristics of Cooked Pork Sausages during Storage
- Jin, Sang-Keun (Department of Animal Resources Technology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Yeong-Jung (Department of Animal Resources Technology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Park, Jae-Hong (Swine Science and Technology Center, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Hur, In-Chul (Department of Animal Resources Technology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Nam, Sang-Hae (Division of Food Science, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Shin, Dae-Keun (Swine Science and Technology Center, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2012.03.06
- Accepted : 2012.05.29
- Published : 2012.09.01
This study was conducted to evaluate the effects of adding purple-fleshed sweet potato (PFP) powder on the texture properties and sensory characteristics of cooked pork sausage. Sodium nitrite alone and sodium nitrite in combination with PFP were added to five different treatments sausages (CON (control) = 0.01% sodium nitrite, SP25 = 0.005% sodium nitrite and 0.25% purple-fleshed sweet potato powder combination, SP50 = 0.005% sodium nitrite and 0.5% purple-fleshed sweet potato powder combination, PP25 = 0.25% purple-fleshed sweet potato powder, PP50 = 0.5% purple-fleshed sweet potato powder). The sausages were cooked to
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- Ahn, H. J., J. H. Kim, C. Jo, C. H. Lee and M. W. Hyun. 2002. Reduction of carcinogenic N-nitrosamines and residual nitrite in model system sausage by irradiation. J. Food Sci. 67:1370-1373. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2002.tb10291.x
- AMSA. 1995. Research guidelines for cookery, sensory evaluation and tenderness measurements of fresh meat. Am. Meat Sci. Assoc., Chicago, IL, USA.
- AOAC. 1990. Official methods of analysis. 15th ed., Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington DC, USA.
- Bozkurt, H. and O. Erkmen. 2004. Effect of nitrate/nitrite on the quality of sausage (sucuk) during ripening and storage. J. Sci. Food Agric. 84:279-286. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.1638
- Cevallos-Casals, B. A. and L. Cisneros-Zevallos. 2004. Stability of anthocyanin-based aqueous extracts of Andean purple corn and red-fleshed sweet potato compared to synthetic and natural colorants. Food Chem. 86:69-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2003.08.011
- Gonzalez, Z. and E. Perez. 2002. Effect of acetylation on some properties of rice starch. Starch. 54:148-154. https://doi.org/10.1002/1521-379X(200204)54:3/4<148::AID-STAR148>3.0.CO;2-N
- Hagiwara, A., H. Yoshino, T. Ichihara, M. Kawabe, S. Tamano, H. Aoki, T. Koda, M. Nakamura, K. Imaida, N. Ito and T. Shirai. 2002. Prevention by natural food anthocyanins, purple sweet potato color and red cabbage color, of 2-amino-1-methyl-6-phenylimidazo[4,5-b] pyridine (PhIP)-associated colorectal carcinogenesis in rats initiated with 1,2-dimethylhydrazine. J. Toxicol. Sci. 27:57-68. https://doi.org/10.2131/jts.27.57
- Huff-Lonergan, E. and S. M. Lonergan. 2005. Mechanisms of water-holding capacity of meat: The role of postmortem biochemical and structural changes. Meat Sci. 71:94-204.
- Islam, S., M. Yoshimoto, N. Terahara and O. Yamakawa. 2002. Anthocyanin compositions in sweetpotato (Ipomoea batatas L.) leaves. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 66:2483-2486. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.66.2483
- Jo, C., H. J. Ahn, J. H. Son, J. W. Lee and M. W. Byun. 2003. Packaging and irradiation effect on lipid oxidation, color, residual nitrite content, and nitrosamine formation in cooked pork sausage. Food Control 14:7-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0956-7135(02)00045-2
- Kano, M., T. Takayanagi, K. Harada, K. Makino and F. Ishikawa. 2005. Antioxidative activity of anthocyanins from purple sweet patato, Ipomoera batatas cultivar Ayamurasaki. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 69:979-988. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.69.979
- Kealy, T. 2006. Application of liquid and solid rheological technologies to the textureal characterization of semi-solid foods. Food Res. Int. 39:265-276. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2005.07.016
- Kim, I-H., S-G. Kim and S-Y. Lee. 1987. Effect of phosphate on rheological properties of gelatinized rice starch solution. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 19:366-370.
- Krog, N. 1973. Influence of food emulsifiers on pasting temperature and viscosity of various starches. Starch-Starke 25:22-27. https://doi.org/10.1002/star.19730250105
- Lai, L-S., Y-L. Liu and P-H. Lin. 2003. Pheological/textural properties of starch and crude hsian-tsao leaf gum mixed systems. J. Sci. Food Agric. 83:1051-1058. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.1506
- Lee, S-C., S-Y. Kim, S-M. Jeong and J-H. Park. 2006. Effect of far-infrared irradiation on catechins and nitrite scavenging activity of green tea. J. Agric. Food Chem. 54:399-403. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf051866x
- Lu, Y. 2010. The development of a cured, fermented sheep meat sausage designed to minimize species and pastoral-diet flavours. Master Thesis, AUT University, New Zealand. p.7.
- Marco, A., J. L. Navarro and M. Flores. 2006. The influence of nitrite and nitrate on microbial, chemical and sensory parameters of slow dry fermented sausage. Meat Sci. 73:660-673. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2006.03.011
- Meilgaard, M., G. V. Civille and B. T. Carr. 1991. Sensory evaluation techniques (2nd ed.). CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL. USA.
- Mozetic, B., P. Trebse, M. Simcic and J. Hribar. 2004. Changes of anthocyanins and hydroxycinnamic acids affecting the skin colour during maturation of sweet cherries (Prunus avium L.). LWT-Food Sci. Technol. 37:123-128. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0023-6438(03)00143-9
- Nutting, G. C. 1952. Effect of electrolytes on the viscosity of potato starch pastes. J. Colloid Sci. 7:128-139. https://doi.org/10.1016/0095-8522(52)90056-1
- Qiao, M., D. L. Fletcher, D. P. Smith and J. K. Northcutt. 2001. The effect of broiler breast meat color on pH, moisture, water-holding capacity, and emulsification capacity. Poult. Sci. 80:676-680. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/80.5.676
- Pearson, D. 1976. The chemical analysis of foods (7th ed.). Churchill, Livingston. p. 386.
- Rundlof, T., E. Olsson, A. Wiernik, S. Back, M. Aune, L. Johansson and I. Wahlberg. 2000. Potential nitrite scavengers as inhibitors of the formation of N-nitrosamines in solution and tobacco matrix systems. J. Agric. Food Chem. 48:4381-4388. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf000147+
- SAS. 1998. SAS/STAT software for PC. Release 6.12, SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC. USA.
- Suda, I., T. Oki, M. Masuda, M. Kobayashi, Y. Nishiba and S. Furuta. 2003. Physiological functionality of purple-fleshed sweet potatoes containing anthocyanins and their utilization in foods. Japan Agric. Res. Quart. 37:167-173. https://doi.org/10.6090/jarq.37.167
- Teow, C. C., V-D. Truong, R. F. McFeeters, R. L. Thompson, K. V. Pecota and G. C. Yencho. 2007. Antioxidant activities, phenolic and B-carotene contents of sweet potato genotypes wit varying flesh colours. Food Chem. 103:829-838. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2006.09.033
- Wang, H-H., D-W. Sun, Q. Zeng and Y. Lu. 2000. Effect of pH, corn starch and phosphates on the pasting properties of rice flour. J. Food Eng. 46:133-138. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0260-8774(00)00077-7
- Effect of Nitrite Substitution of Sausage with Addition of Purple Sweet Potato Powder and Purple Sweet Potato Pigment vol.44, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.6.896
- The role of monoxide hemoglobin in color improvement of chicken sausage vol.25, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-016-0056-0
- Effect of surimi on quality characteristics of dry and semi-dry (non-fermented) pork sausages during cold storage vol.11, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11694-017-9515-4
- Effect of grape seed flour on the quality of summer salami vol.42, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/jfpp.13601