- Volume 24 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study for Shear Deterioration of Reinforced Concrete Beam-Column Joints Failing in Shear after Flexural Yielding of Adjacent Beams
보의 휨항복 후 접합부가 파괴하는 철근콘크리트 보-기둥 접합부의 전단내력 감소에 대한 해석적 연구
- Park, Jong-Wook (Dept. of Architectural Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Yun, Seok-Gwang (Dept. of Architectural Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Kim, Byoung-Il (Dept. of Architectural Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Lee, Jung-Yoon (Dept. of Architectural Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University)
- Received : 2012.02.03
- Accepted : 2012.04.03
- Published : 2012.08.31
Beam-column joints are generally recognized as the critical regions in the moment resisting reinforced concrete (RC) frames subjected to both lateral and vertical loads. As a result of severe lateral load such as seismic loading, the joint region is subjected to horizontal and vertical shear forces whose magnitudes are many times higher than in column and adjacent beam. Consequently, much larger bond and shear stresses are required to sustain these magnified forces. The critical deterioration of potential shear strength in the joint area should not occur until ductile capacity of adjacent beams reach the design demand. In this study, a method was provided to predict the deformability of reinforced concrete beam-column joints failing in shear after the plastic hinges developed at both ends of the adjacent beams. In order to verify the deformability estimated by the proposed method, an experimental study consisting of three joint specimens with varying tensile reinforcement ratios was carried out. The result between the observed and predicted behavior of the joints showed reasonably good agreement.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Joint ACI-ASCE Committee 352, Recommendations for Design of Beam-Column Connections in Monolithic Reinforced Concrete Structures, American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, Michigan, 2003, 37 pp.
- AIJ, Design Guidelines for Earthquake Resistance Reinforced Concrete Buildings Based on Inelastic Displacement Concept, AIJ, 1999, 440 pp.
- NZS, The Design of Concrete Structures, NZS, 1982, 127 pp.
- Fujii, S. and Morita, S., Comparison between Interior and Exterior RC Beam-Column Joint Behavior, ACI SP-123, 1991, pp. 145-166.
- Durrani, A. J. and Wight, J. K., "Behavior of Interior Beam to Column Connections under Earthquake Type Loading," ACI Journal Proceeding, Vol. 82, 1985, pp. 343-349. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.82.2.343
- Attaalla, S. A., "Deformation Characteristics of Reinforced Concrete Beam-Column Joint Cores under Earthquake Loading," Advanced in Structural Engineering, Vol. 6, No. 1, 2003, pp. 15-21. https://doi.org/10.1260/136943303321625694
- Kim, J., LaFave, J. M., and Song, J., "A New Statistical Approach for Joint Shear Strength Determination of RC Beam-Column Connections Subjected to Lateral Earthquake Loading," Structural Engineering and Mechanics, Vol. 27, No. 4, 2007, pp. 439-456. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2007.27.4.439
- Kim, J. H. and Lafave, J. M., "Key Influence Parameters for the Joint Shear Behaviour of Reinforced Concrete RC Beam-Column Connections," Engineering Structures, Vol. 29, Issue 10, 2009, pp. 2523-2539.
- Lee, J. Y., Kim, J. Y., and Oh, G. J., "Strength Deterioration of Reinforced Concrete Beam-Column Joints Subjected to Cyclic Loading," Engineering Structures, Vol. 31, Issue 9, 2009, pp. 2070-2085. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2009.03.009
- Lee, J. Y. and Watanabe, F., "Predicting the Longitudinal Axial Strain in the Plastic Hinge Regions of Reinforced Concrete Beams Subjected to Reversed Cyclic Loading," Engineering Structures, Vol. 25, Issue 7, 2003 pp. 927-939. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(03)00026-9
- Belarbi, A. and Hsu, T. T. C., "Constitutive Laws of Softened Concrete in Biaxial Tension-Compression," ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 92, No. 5, 1995, pp. 562-573.
- Paulay, T. and Priestley, M. J. N., Seismic Design of Reinforced Concrete and Masonry Buildings, John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, 1992, pp. 136-142.
- Kaku, T., Maso, K., and Muguruma, T., "Experimental Study about Deformation Characteristic of Beam Column Connection in RC Structure (in Japanese)," Proceeding of the Japan Concrete Institute, Vol. 15, No. 2, 1993, pp. 559-564.
- Hayashi, K., Teraoka, M., Mollick, A. A., and Kana, Y., "Bond Characteristic of Interior RC Beam-Column Connections Using High Strength Materials (in Japanese)," Proceeding of the Japan Concrete Institute, Vol. 15, No. 2, 1993, pp. 583-588.
- Yoshino, M., Takeda, S., and Kamimura, T., "Behavior of Interior RC Beam-Column Connections after Yielding of Longitudinal Beam Reinforcement (in Japanese)," Proceedings of the Japan Concrete Institute, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 987-992.
- Shear Strength Degradation Model for Performance-Based Design of Interior Beam-Column Joints vol.114, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.14359/51700780