- Volume 2 Issue 3
There were no studies available measuring the ability to follow instructions for meditation. Hence, the present study was planned to assess the ability to follow instructions for the four mental states viz., cancalata (random thinking), ekagrata (non-meditative concentration), dharana (focused meditation) and dhyana (defocused meditation or effortless meditation) described in yoga texts. Sixty male volunteers with ages ranging from 18 to 31 years (group mean age
four mental states;cancalata;ekagrata;dharana;dhyana;visual analog scale
- Aitken RC. Measurement of feelings using visual analogue scales. Proc R Soc Med. 1969;62:989-993.
- Cahn BR, Polich J. Meditation states and traits: EEG, ERP, and neuroimaging studies. Psychol Bull. 2006;132:180-211. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.132.2.180
- Don L. Goldenberg, Kenneth H, Kaplan, Maureen G, Nadeau, Brodeur C, Smith S, Christopher H, Schmid A. Controlled Study of a Stress-Reduction, Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment Program in Fibromyalgia. J Musculoskeletal Pain. 1994;2:53-66. https://doi.org/10.1300/J094v02n02_05
- Hayes MHS, Patterson DG. Experimental development of the graphic rating method. Psychol Bull. 1921;18:98-99.
- Keng SL, Smoski MJ, Robins CJ. Effects of mindfulness on psychological health: a review of empirical studies. Clin Psychol Rev. 2011;31:1041-1056. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cpr.2011.04.006
- Kumar S, Nagendra HR, Naveen KV, Manjunath NK, Telles S. Brainstem auditory-evoked potentials in two meditative mental states. Int J Yoga. 2010;3:37-41. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-6131.72628
- Kumar S, Telles S. Meditative states based on yoga texts and their effects on performance of a cancellation task. Percept Mot Skills. 2009;109:679-689. https://doi.org/10.2466/pms.109.3.679-689
- Little BC, Zahn TP. Changes in Mood and Autonomic Functioning During the Menstrual Cycle. Psychophysiology. 1974;11:579-590 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8986.1974.tb01118.x
- Lutz A, Slagter HA, Dunne JD, Davidson RJ. Attention regulation and monitoring in meditation. Trends Cogn Sci. 2008;12:163-169. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tics.2008.01.005
- Sarasvati M, Swami G. Bhagavad Gita. (Calcutta, India: Advaita Ashrama), 1998
- Solberg EE, Berglund KA, Engen O, Ekeberg O, Loeb M. The effect of meditation on shooting performance. Br J Sports Med. 1996;30:342-346. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.30.4.342
- Taimini IK. The science of yoga. (Madras, India: The Theosophical Publishing House), 1986.
- Telles S, Raghavendra BR, Naveen KV, Manjunath NK, Subramanya P. Mid-Latency Auditory Evoked Potentials in 2 Meditative States. Clin EEG Neurosci. 2012;43:154-160. https://doi.org/10.1177/1550059412439963
- Travis F, Shear J. Focused attention, open monitoring and automatic self-transcending: categories to organize meditations from Vedic, Buddhist and Chinese traditions. Conscious Cogn. 2010;19:1110-1118. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.concog.2010.01.007
- Ulger O, Yağli NV. Effects of yoga on the quality of life in cancer patients. Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2010;16:60-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctcp.2009.10.007
- Wewers ME, Lowe NK. A critical review of visual analogue scales in the measurement of clinical phenomena. Res Nurs Health. 1990;13:227-236. https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.4770130405
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR)