- Volume 32 Issue 4
In this study, consumer preferences toward traditional cheeses were investigated with Tulum cheese sample which is one of the traditional cheeses of Turkey. Type of milk used for Tulum cheese making was identified as the most important factor, followed by Tulum cheese's texture, price, salinity, fat content, origin and flavour. The ideal Tulum cheese profile for the overall consumers was made with cow milk, a hard texture, a price of 20 TL per kg, a low salt cheese, a full fat cheese, the regional cheese which belongs to Izmir region and a mild-flavoured cheese.A cluster analysis revealed there were two clusters with different ideal product profiles. Cluster 1's ideal Tulum cheese comprised a soft texture, a mild-flavoured cheese, a cheese made with cow milk, a full fat cheese, a low salt cheese, the regional cheese which belongs to Izmir region and a price of 10 TL per kg. Cluster 2 differed from cluster 1 in that its ideal Tulum cheese was a hard textured cheese and priced at 20 TL per kg. The consumers in cluster 2 were less price sensitive than those in cluster 1. In addition to, the consumers in both segments are ready to pay extra money for regional Tulum cheese versus non-regional Tulum cheese. We found that the older ones were more willing to pay as compared to younger individuals. Young people are critical target consumers for Tulum cheese marketers. The findings on cluster 1's ideal Tulum cheese of this study could therefore provide guidance to marketing managers.
traditional cheeses;consumer preferences;conjoint analysis;Turkey
- Akpinar, M.G., Dagistan, E., Mazlum, Y., Gul, M., Koc, B., and Yilmaz, Y. (2009) Determining household preferences for fish consumption with conjoint analysis in Turkey. J. Anim. Vet. Adv. 8, 2215-2222.
- Albayrak, M. and Gunes, E. (2010) Traditional foods: Interaction between local and global foods in Turkey. Afr. J. Bus. Manag. 4, 555-561.
- Anar, S. (1999) "Traditional cheeses producing in Turkey" (in Turkish). J. Turkish Food Available from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulum_(cheese). Accessed April 20, 2012.
- Anonymous. (2007) European research on traditional foods. Official Publications of the European Communities. ISBN 92-79-03315-8, Luxembourg, p. 40.
- Bayar, N. and Ozrenk, E. (2011) The Effect of quality properties on Tulum cheese using different package materials. Afri. J. Biotechnol. 10, 1393-1399.
- Bernabeu, R., Olmeda, M., Díaz, M., and Olivas, R. (2008) Determination of the surcharge that consumers are willing to pay for an organic cheese in Spain 12th Congress of the European Association of Agricultural Economists, pp. 1-5.
- Bogue, J., Hofler, A., and Sorenson, D. (2005) Conjoint analysis as a market-oriented new product design tool: the case of functional meal replacement beverages, Department of Food Business and Development University College, Cork, Agribusiness Discussion, Paper No. 45, p. 38.
- Cowan, C., Murphy, M., Daly, E., Meehan, H., Henchion, M., Pitts, E., Delahunty, C., and O'Reilly, S. (2000) Consumer attributes of farmhouse cheese and honey, a research within the Framework of the EU-FAIR Programme, Project FAIRCT95-0360, ISBN 1-84170-158-0, Dublin, p. 15.
- Hair, J., Anderson, R. E., Tatham, R. L., and Black, W. C. (1992) Multivariate data analysis with reading, 3rd ed., Maxwell Macmillan Publishing, Singapore.
- Harrison, R. W., Ozayan, A., and Meyers, S. P. (1998) A conjoint analysis of new food products processed from underutilized small crawfish. J. Agr. Appl. Econ. 30, 257-265.
- Michel, L. M., Anders, S., and Wismer, W. V. (2011) Consumer preferences and willingness to pay for value-added chicken product attributes. J. Food Sci. 76, 469-477. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2011.02354.x
- Imami, D., Chan-Halbrendt, C., Zhang, Q., and Zhllima, E. (2011) Conjoint analysis of consumer preferences for lamb meat in central and southwest urban Albania. Int. Food Agr. Manag. Rev. 14, 111-122.
- Karabiyikli, S. (2012) Some traditional cheeses produced in Turkey, a presentation on cheese, Gaziosmanpasa University. Available from: http://ipff2012.gop.edu.tr/teaching/Turkey/p11.pdf Accessed April 15,2012.
- Mclennon, E. A. (2002) Analysis of consumer perceptions toward biotechnology and their preferences for biotech food labels, MSc Thesis, B. S. Louisiana State University, The Department of Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness, p. 87.
- Monteiro, D. M. S. and Lucas, M. R. V. (2001) Conjoint measurement of preferences for traditional cheeses in Lisbon. Brit. Food J. 103, 414-424. https://doi.org/10.1108/00070700110400406
- Murphy, M., Cowan, C., and Meehan, H. (2004) A conjoint analysis of Irish consumer preferences for farmhouse cheese. Brit. Food J. 106, 288-300. https://doi.org/10.1108/00070700410529555
- Newbold P. (1995) Statistics for business and economics, Prentice Hall International Editions.
- Schiopu, D. (2010) Applying two-step cluster analysis for identifying bank customers' profile, Buletinul, UniversitaNii Petrol - Gaze din Ploiesti, StiinNe Economice, Vol. LXII, pp. 66-75.
- Schnettler, B., Vidal, R., Silva, R., Vallejos, L., and Sepúlveda, N. (2009) Consumer willingness to pay for beef meat in a developing country: The effect of information regarding country of origin, price and animal handling prior to slaughter. Food Qual. Prefer. 20, 156-165. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodqual.2008.07.006
- Tendero, A. and Bernabéu, R. (2005) Preference structure for cheese consumers: a Spanish case study. Brit. Food J. 107, 60-73. https://doi.org/10.1108/00070700510579144
- Topcu, Y., Uzundumlu, A.S., and Yavuz, F. (2010) Designing the marketing strategies for Ispir sugar bean as a local product using conjoint analysis. Sci. Res. Essays 5, 887-896.
- TurkStat (2010) Address based population registration system (ABPRS): results for Izmir, Turkish Statistical Institute. Available from: http://tuikapp.tuik.gov.tr/adnksdagitapp/adnks.zul?dil=2. Accessed April 18,2012.
- TurkStat. (2011) Population statistics for Izmir, Turkish Statistical Institute. Available from: http://www.turkstat.gov.tr/VeriBilgi.do?tb_id=39&ust_id=11. Accessed April 18,2012.
- 1. Determining Turkish consumers’ consumption satisfaction with Erzurum Civil cheese vol.118, pp.4, 2016, doi:10.5851/kosfa.2012.32.4.458
- 2. An Empirical Comparison of Predictability of Ranking-based and Choice-based Conjoint Analysis vol.27, pp.5, 2014, doi:10.5851/kosfa.2012.32.4.458