- Volume 55 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Study on Biological Activities of Opuntia humifusa Cladode Extracts
손바닥 선인장 (Opuntia humifusa) 줄기 추출물의 생리활성
- Yoon, Min-Sun (Department of Food Science & Biotechnology, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Yoo, Jae-Soo (Department of Food Science & Biotechnology, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Lee, Keun-Kwang (Department of Beauty Arts, Koguryeo College) ;
- Kim, Myung-Kon (Department of Food Science & Biotechnology, Chonbuk National University)
- Received : 2011.10.14
- Accepted : 2012.04.02
- Published : 2012.06.30
Biological activities of the hot water and ethanol extracts from Opuntia humifusa cladodes were investigated. 1,1-diphenyl-2-picryl hadrazyl (DPPH) electron donating ability of hot water and ethanol extracts was 79.07 and 82.54%, respectively. Hot water extract generally showed better cytotoxic activity than ethanol extract against each cell line. HeLa and AGS cell lines treated with hot water extract had more than 50% cytotoxic activities. Based on the antimicrobial activities against four microbial strains, both extracts inhibited growth of Staphylococcus aureus KCCM 11593, whereas affected cell growth of three other microorganisms, Escherichia coli (KCCM 11234), Pseudomonas aeruginosa (ATCC 27853), and Salmonella typhimurium (ATCC 11862), in proportion to the concentration of extracts. The inflammatory activities against hot water extract (34.31%) showed higher than that of ethanol extract (25.59%). The effect of extracts on 3T3-L1 preadipocytes differentiation showed that differentiation of treated group with 80 and 100
- Cho JY, Park SC, Kim TW, Kim KS, Song JC, and Kim SK (2006) Radical scavenging and anti-inflammatory activity of extracts from Opuntia humifusa Raf. J Pharm Pharmacol 58, 113-9. https://doi.org/10.1211/jpp.58.1.0014
- Choi HJ, Park SC, and Hong TH (2005) Anti-tumor activity of fermented liquid Opuntia humifusa in cervical cancer cells and its chemical composition. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 34, 1525-30. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2005.34.10.1525
- Choi HS (2007) Biological removal of urushiol from Rush verniciflua Stokes (RVS) and investigation of the detoxified RVS. Ph.D thesis, Chonbuk National University, Korea.
- Chung HJ (2000) antioxidative and antimicrobial activities of Opuntia ficus indica var. saboten. Korean J Soc Food Sci 16, 160-6.
- Chung MS and Kim KH (1996) Stability of betanine extracted from Opuntia ficus-indica var. saboten. Korean J Soc Food Sci 12, 506-10.
- Florian CS and Reinhold C (2005) Cactus stems (Opuntia spp): A review on their chemistry, technology, and uses. Mol Nutr Food Res 49, 175-94. https://doi.org/10.1002/mnfr.200400071
- Galati EM, Tripodob MM, Trovatoa A, Micelia N, and Monfortea MT (2002) Biological effect of Opuntia ficus indica (L) Mill. (Cactaceae) waste matter: Note I: diuretic activity. J Ethnopharmacol 79, 17-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-8741(01)00337-3
- Gregoire FMSC and Sul HS (1998) Understanding adipocyte differentiation. Physiol Rev 78, 783-809. https://doi.org/10.1152/physrev.1922.214.171.1243
- Kim IT, Park YM, Shin KM, Ha J, Choi J, and Jung HJ (2004) Antiinflammatory and anti-nociceptive effects of the extract from K. pictus, P. thenbergiana and R. verniciflua. J Enthnopharm 94, 165-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2004.05.015
- Kim KS, Jee M, Kim GS, Park SC, Rhe MH, and In JG (2007) Effects of Opuntia humifusa extract on DNCB-Induced allergic contact dermatitis in BALB/c Mice. Laboratory Animal Research 23, 169-73.
- Lee EB, Hyun JE, Li DW, and Moon YI (2002) Effects of Opuntia ficusindica var. saboten stem on gastric damage in rats. Arch Pharm Res 25, 67-70. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02975264
- Lee KS, Ho CS, and Lee KY (2005) Antioxidative effect of the fractions extracted from a Cactus Cheonnyuncho (Opuntia humifusa). Korean J Food Sci Technol 37, 474-78.
- Lee KS, Kim MG, and Lee KY (2004) Antimicrobial effect of the extracts of catus Chounnyouncho (Opuntia humifusa) against food borne pathogens. Korean J Soc Food Sci 33, 1268-72. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2004.33.8.1268
- Lee NH, Yoon JS, Lee BH, Choi BW, and Park KH (2000) Screening of the radical scavenging effects, tyrosinase inhibition and anti-allergic activities using Opuntia ficus-indica. Korean J Pharmacogn 31, 412-5.
- Lee SJ (1994) Bon Cho Gang Mok. p. 78, Aue Soung Dang, Korea.
- Lee YC, Hwang KH, Han DH, and Kim SD (1997) Compositions of Opuntia ficus-indica. Korean J Food Sci Technol 29, 506-10.
- MacDougald OAHC, Fan H, and Lane MD (1995) Regulated expression of the base gene product(leptin) in white adipose tissue and 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92, 9034-7. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.92.20.9034
- Yoon WJ, Lee JA, Kim JY, and Park SY (2007) In vitro anti-inflammatory activity of the Artemisia fukudo extracts in murine macrophage RAW 264.7 cell. Korean J Food Sci Technol 39, 464-9.
- Monitoring on extraction characteristics of cheonnyuncho (Opuntia fiscus-indica) fruit vol.22, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-013-0089-6
- Comparison of Biological Activities of Opuntia humifusa and Opuntia ficus-indica vol.26, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7732/kjpr.2013.26.5.519
- Flow behaviors of fruit and stem extracts from Korean cactus (Opuntia humifusa) vol.23, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-014-0151-z
- Quality Characteristics and Antioxidant Activity of Prickly Pear Cactus Cladodes vol.44, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.3.356
- Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities of Opuntia ficus-indica and Opuntia humifusa fruits ethanol extracts vol.25, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2018.25.5.586