- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Comparative study of Railway Heritage Conservation System between Japan and UK
일본과 영국의 철도문화유산 보존제도 및 운영에 관한 비교연구
- Lee, Yong-Sang (Department of Railroad Management, Woosong University) ;
- Chung, Byung-Hyun (Department of Transportation and Logistics, Woosong University)
- Received : 2012.07.10
- Accepted : 2012.08.08
- Published : 2012.08.30
Railway has been used as a transportation method since 18th century. Modern term of railway is defined as use of steam engine. Stockton & Darlington Railway in north western England firstly used steam engine. It was Manchester & Liverpool Railway which firstly ran systematized railroading system. Like this, railway had been developed in diverse forms in various countries, and these traditions are preserved well as time passes. Especially in UK, first country to run railway, has various methods to maintain railway cultural heritage. Japan also has organized railway culture protection system due to fast development of railway and many changes through privatization. In this research, railway cultural preservation systems of UK and Japan's are compated and lessons are looked for Korea. This paper chooses comparative and contrast method, and introduces laws, systems, and examples of two countries to find lessons.
- J. Song (2009) Development Plan of Korea's Intangible Cultural Assets, PhD Thesis, Korea University.
- O.J. Choi (2009) The direction of administration and preservation policy of cultural properties toward the reunification of korea, PhD Thesis, Honam University.
- H.J. Lee (2010) A Study on the Revitalization of Railway Station Water Tower, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 13(4), pp. 357-362.
- E.H. Ha (2008) A Study on The Conservation of Korea's Modern Cultural Heritage Steam Locomotive at Jangdan Station on Gyeongeui Line, Master Thesis, Kyonggi University.
- J.E. Jang (2010) Reuse of Industrial Heritage relate to abandoned Railroad Transportation, Master Thesis, Kyungsung University.
- Y.S. Lee, B.H. Chung (2011) A Comparative study of Rail heritage conservation system between Korea and Japan, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 14(2), pp. 174-180. https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2011.14.2.174
- Ichiro Tsutmumi (2007) Significance of the Railway Heritage on the "Memorials in Mechanical Engineering, Railway Edition", Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, 110(1061), pp. 42-45. https://doi.org/10.1299/jsmemag.110.1058_42
- West Japan Railway Company (2009) Regulation protective registration cultural assets.
- The Railway Heritage Committee (2009) RHC Annual Report 2008-9, pp. 17-22.