- Volume 25 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Detecting Genetic Association and Gene-Gene Interaction using Network Analysis in Case-Control Study
- Received : 2012.04.10
- Accepted : 2012.06.05
- Published : 2012.08.31
Various methods of analysis have been proposed to understand the gene-disease relation and gene-gene interaction effect for a disease through comparison of genotype in case-control study. In this study, we proposed the method to detect a genetic association and gene-gene interaction through the use of a network graph and centrality measures that are used in social network analysis. The applicability of the proposed method was studied through an analysis of real genetic data.
Network analysis;genetic association;gene-gene interaction;centrality measures
- Balding, D. J. (2006). A tutorial on statistical methods for population association studies, Nature Reviews Genetics, 7, 781-791. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrg1916
- Butts, C. T. (2008). Social network analysis with sna, Journal of Statistical Software, 24.
- Cordell, H. J. (2009). Detecting gene-gene interaction that underlies human diseases, Nature Reviews Genetics, 10, 392-403.
- Davis, N., Crowe, J., Pajewski, N. and McKinney, B. (2010). Surfing a genetic association interaction network to identify modulators of antibody response to smallpox vaccine, Genes and Immunity, 11, 630-636. https://doi.org/10.1038/gene.2010.37
- Fortes, M., Reverter, A., Zhang, Y., Collis, E., Nagaraj, S. H., Jonsson, N., Prayaga, K., Barris, W. and Hawken, R. (2010). Association weight matrix for the genetic dissection of puberty in beef cattle, PNAS, 107, 13642-13647. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1002044107
- Fruchterman, T. M. J. and Reingold, E. M. (1991). Graph drawing by force-directed placement, Software-Practice and Experience, 21, 1129-1164. https://doi.org/10.1002/spe.4380211102
- Hanneman, R. A. and Riddle, M. (2005). Introduction to social network methods, Software-Practice and Experience.
- Huh, M. (2010). Introduction to Social Network Analysis Using R, Free Academy, Kyunggi.
- Jung, J., Yee, J., Lee, S. and Park, M. (2011). Exploration of the gene-gene interactions using the relative risks in distinct genotypes, The Korean Journal of Applied Statistics, 24, 861-869. https://doi.org/10.5351/KJAS.2011.24.5.861
- Kamada, T. and Kawai, S. (1989). An algorithm for drawing general undirected graphs, Information Processing Letters, 31, 7-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-0190(89)90102-6
- Lee, H., Kim, M. and Park, M. (2010). A review of genetic association analyses in population and family based data: Methods and software, The Korean Journal of Applied Statistics, 23, 95-111. https://doi.org/10.5351/KJAS.2010.23.1.095
- Lindlof, A. and Olsson, B. (2002). Could correlation-based methods be used to derive genetic association networks?, Information Sciences, 146, 103-113. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-0255(02)00218-9
- Namkung, J. H., Kim, K., Yi, S., Chung, W., Kwon, M. S. and Park, T. (2009). New evaluation measures for multifactor dimensionality reduction classifiers in gene-gene interaction analysis, Bioinformatics, 25, 338-345. https://doi.org/10.1093/bioinformatics/btn629
- Namkung, J. H., Lee, J., Kim, E., Cho, H. J., Kim, S., Shin, E. S., Cho, E. Y. and Yang, J. M. (2007). IL-5 and IL-5 receptor alpha polymorphisms are associated with atopic dermatitis in Koreans, Allergy, 62, 934-942. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1398-9995.2007.01445.x
- Ritchie, M. D., Hahn, L., Roodi, L., Bailey, L., Dupont, W., Parl, F. and Moore, J. H. (2001). Multifactor-dimensionality reduction reveals high-order interactions among estrogen-metabolism genes in sporadic breast cancer, American Journal of Human Genetics, 69, 138-147. https://doi.org/10.1086/321276
- Snel, B. and Huynen, M. (2002). The identification of functional modules from the genomic association of genes, PNAS, 99, 5890-5895. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.092632599
- Sohn, D. (2002). Social Network Analysis, Kyungmunsa, Seoul.
- Yanai, I. adn DeLisi, C. (2002). The society of genes: networks of functional links between genes from comparative genomics, Genome Biology, 3, research0064.1-0064.12.
- Zhu, X., Gerstein, M. and Snyder, M. (2007). Getting connected: analysis and principles of biological networks, Genes and Development, 21, 1010-1024. https://doi.org/10.1101/gad.1528707
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)