- Volume 13 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Apoptosis-Induced Cell Death due to Oleanolic Acid in HaCaT Keratinocyte Cells -a Proof-of-Principle Approach for Chemopreventive Drug Development
- George, V. Cijo (School of Bio Sciences and Technology, VIT University) ;
- Kumar, D.R. Naveen (School of Bio Sciences and Technology, VIT University) ;
- Suresh, P.K. (School of Bio Sciences and Technology, VIT University) ;
- Kumar, R. Ashok (Department of Zoology, Government Arts College)
- Published : 2012.05.30
Oleanolic acid (OA) is a naturally occurring triterpenoid in food materials and is a component of the leaves and roots of Olea europaea, Viscum album L., Aralia chinensis L. and more than 120 other plant species. There are several reports validating its antitumor activity against different cancer cells apart from its hepatoprotective activity. However, antitumor activity against skin cancer has not beed studied well thus far. Hence the present study of effects of OA against HaCaT (immortalized keratinocyte) cells - a cell-based epithelial model system for toxicity/ethnopharmacology-based studies - was conducted. Radical scavenging activity (
- Ali AS, Azhar R, Muhammad K, et al (2011). Eupatilin: A flavonoid compound isolated from the artemisia plant, induces apoptosis and G2/M phase cell cycle arrest in human melanoma A375 cells. Afr J Pharm Pharmacol, 5, 582-8. https://doi.org/10.5897/AJPP11.079
- Andreas S, Suzanne C, Jerry MA (2011). Deciphering the rules of programmed cell death to improve therapy of cancer and other diseases. The EMBO J, 30, 3667-83. https://doi.org/10.1038/emboj.2011.307
- Antonio JR, Juan FA, Ewan TM, et al (2010). Apoptotic markers in protozoan parasites Parasites & Vectors. Parasites and Vectors, 3, 1-15. https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-3305-3-1
- Benzie IFF, Strain JJ (1996). The ferric reducing ability of plasma (FRAP) as a measure of "antioxidant power": the FRAP assay. Anal Biochem, 239, 70-6. https://doi.org/10.1006/abio.1996.0292
- Bernard SA, Olayinka OA (2010). Search for a novel antioxidant, antiinflammatory/ analgesic or antiproliferative drug: cucurbitacins hold the ace. J Med Plants Res, 4, 2821-6.
- Bin Z, Lu L, Kai C, et al (2011). Mechanisms of TRAIL and Gemcitabine induction of pancreatic cancer cell apoptosis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2675-8.
- Biswas M, Ghosh AK, Haldar PK (2010). Anti-leishmanial and anti-cancer activities of a pentacyclic triterpenoid isolated from the leaves of Terminalia arjuna Combretaceae. Trop J Pharma Res, 9, 135-40.
- Blois MS (1958). Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical. Nature, 181, 1199-200. https://doi.org/10.1038/1811199a0
- Chiang YM, Chang JY, Kuo CC, et al (2005). Triterpenes from aerial roots of Ficus microcarpa. Phytochemistry, 66, 495-501. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phytochem.2004.12.026
- George VC, Kumar DRN, Rajkumar V, et al (2012). Quantitative assessment of the relative antineoplastic potential of the n-butanolic leaf extract of Annona Muricata Linn. in normal and immortalized human cell lines. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 699-704. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.2.699
- Deng F, Lu JJ, Liu HY, et al (2011). Synthesis and antitumor activity of novel salvicine analogues. Chin Chem Let, 22, 25-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cclet.2010.07.009
- Engin U, Ceyda A, Yusuf Y (2011). Apoptosis: why and how does it occur in biology? Cell Biochem Funct, 29, 468-80. https://doi.org/10.1002/cbf.1774
- Fu LW, Zhang SJ, Li N, et al (2005). Three new triterpenes from Nerium oleander and biological activity of the isolated compounds. J Nat Prod, 68, 198-206. https://doi.org/10.1021/np040072u
- Fulda S (2008). Betulinic acid for cancer treatment and prevention. Int J Mol Sci, 9, 1096-107. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms9061096
- Hasmah A, Azimahtol HLP, Judit H, et al (2010). A natural compound from Hydnophytum formicarium induces apoptosis of MCF-7 cells via up-regulation of Bax. Cancer Cell Int, 10, 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1186/1475-2867-10-1
- Hitoshi M, Yuri O, Yasunobu O, et al (2002). alpha-tocopherol increases the intracellular glutathione level in HaCaT keratinocytes. Free Radic Res, 36, 705-9. https://doi.org/10.1080/10715760210873
- Huang T, Gong WH, Li XC, et al (2012). Induction of apoptosis by a combination of Paclitaxel and Carboplatin in the presence of hyperthermia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 81-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.081
- Jie L, Wei-Jian G, Qing-Yao Y (2002). Effects of ursolic acid and oleanolic acid on human colon carcinoma cell line HCT15. World J Gastroenterol, 8, 493-5. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v8.i3.493
- Kataoka S, Tsuruo T (1996). Apoptosis. Oncologist, 1, 399-401.
- Ko HH, Yen MH, Wu RR, et al (1999). Cytotoxic isoprenylated flavans of Broussonetia kazinoki. J Nat Prod, 62, 164-6. https://doi.org/10.1021/np980281c
- Liang F, Wai AY, You-Hua X, et al (2011). Oleanolic acid from Prunella Vulgaris L. induces SPC-A-1 cell line apoptosis via regulation of Bax, Bad and Bcl-2 expression. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 403-8.
- Li J, Xu LZ, Zhu WP, et al (1999). Effects of ursolic acid and oleanolic acid on Jurkat lymphoma cell line in vitro. Chin Oncol, 9, 395-7.
- Liu J (2005). Oleanolic acid and ursolic acid: research perspectives. J Ethnopharmacol, 100, 92-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2005.05.024
- Mark SB (2008). Natural products to drugs: natural product derived compounds in clinical trials. Nat Prod Rep, 25, 475-516. https://doi.org/10.1039/b514294f
- Masaaki N, Tatsuo T, Aimi U, et al (2008). Inotodiol, a lanostane triterpenoid, from Inonotus obliquus inhibits cell proliferation through caspase-3-dependent apoptosis. Anti Can Res, 28, 2691-6.
- Miao YL, Henery WCL, Wen HY, et al (2007). Up-regulation of matrix metalloproteinase family gene involvement in ursolic acid-induced human lung non-small carcinoma cell apoptosis. Anti Can Res, 27, 145-54.
- Oliver K, Lorenzo G, Marta L, et al (2011). Cell death assays for drug discovery. Nature Rev Drug Discov, 10, 221-37. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrd3373
- Patel JR, Choubisa B, Dholakiya BZ (2011). Plant Derived Compounds Having Activity against P388 and L1210 Leukemia Cells. Chemical Sc J, 33, 1-16.
- Perez-Camino M, Cert A (1999). Quantitative determination of hydroxy pentacyclic triterpene acids in vegetable oils. J. Agric. Food Chem, 47, 1558-62. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf980881h
- Pui KW, William CST, Zhi-Tao L, et al (2009). Oleanolic acid isolated from Oldenlandia diffusa exhibits a unique growth inhibitory effect against ras-transformed fibroblasts. Life Sci, 85, 113-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lfs.2009.04.025
- Rajkumar V, Guha G, Kumar RA (2011). Apoptosis induction in MDA-MB-435S, Hep3B and PC-3 cell lines by Rheum emodi rhizome extracts. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1197-200.
- Ramachandran S, Rajendra PN (2008). Effect of ursolic acid, a triterpenoid antioxidant, on ultraviolet-B radiation-induced cytotoxicity, lipid peroxidation and DNA damage in human lymphocytes. Chemico Bio Intera, 176, 99-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbi.2008.08.010
- Samali A, Gorman AM, Cotter TG (1996). Apoptosis: the story so far. Experientia, 52, 933-41. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01920101
- Senderowicz AM (2004). Targeting cell cycle and apoptosis for the treatment of human malignancies. Curr Opin Cell Biol, 16, 670-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ceb.2004.09.014
- Shishodia S, Majumdar S, Banerjee S (2003). Ursolic acid inhibits nuclear factor-kB activation induced by carcinogenic agents through suppression of IkBa kinase and p65 phosphorylation: correlation with down-regulation of cyclooxygenase 2, matrix metalloproteinase 9, and cyclin D1. Cancer Res, 63, 4375-83.
- Stephen N, David ET (2005). Chemical approaches to the discovery and development of cancer therapies. Nature Reviews Cancer, 5, 285-96. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc1587
- Susan E (2007). Apoptosis: A review of programmed cell death. Toxicol Pathol, 35, 495-516. https://doi.org/10.1080/01926230701320337
- Vinay D, Richa S, Showket H, et al (2011). Comparative anticancer potential of clove (Syzygium aromaticum) - an Indian spice - against cancer cell lines of various anatomical origin. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1989-93.
- Weislow R, Kiser DL, Fine J, et al (1989). New soluble-formazan assay for HIV-1 cytopathic effects: application to high-flux screening of synthetic and natural products for AIDSantiviral activity. J Nat Cancer Inst, 81, 577-86. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/81.8.577
- Xi M, Hai C, Tang H, et al (2009). Antioxidant and antiglycation properties of total saponins extracted from traditional chinese medicine used to treat diabetes mellitus. Phytotherapy Res, 22, 228-37.
- Yu-Fang K, Yue-Hwa C (2004). Induction of apoptosis in a nonsmall cell human lung cancer cell line by isothiocyanates is associated with P53 and P21. Food Chem Toxicol, 42, 1711-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2004.06.009
- Bioactive Properties of the Main Triterpenes Found in Olives, Virgin Olive Oil, and Leaves of Olea europaea vol.61, pp.50, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1021/jf403154e
- p38 MAPK Signaling Mediates Mitochondrial Apoptosis in Cancer Cells Induced by Oleanolic Acid vol.15, pp.11, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.11.4519
- Antioxidant value and Antiproliferative Efficacy of Mitragynine and a Silane Reduced Analogue vol.15, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5659
- Antitumor Constituents from Anthriscus Sylvestris (L.) Hoffm vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2803
- Triterpenes as Potentially Cytotoxic Compounds vol.20, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules20011610
- Thermal degradation, kinetic analysis, and apoptosis induction in human melanoma for oleanolic and ursolic acids vol.125, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10973-015-5052-8
- Ethanol extract of Chaenomeles speciosa Nakai induces apoptosis in cancer cells and suppresses tumor growth in mice vol.6, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2013.1340
- studies pp.2045-4538, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1039/C8TX00338F