- Volume 13 Issue 6
Background: The healthcare needs of cancer patients are complex and persons involved in their caregiving process are faced with many issues that need to be addressed. The entire family and particularly the person taking on responsibility for patient care develop expectations from healthcare professionals, especially nurses. Objective: The study was conducted to evaluate the impact of a home education program provided to caregivers of cancer patients on the level of their perceived social support and problems in caregiving. Interventions/Methods: The caregivers of thirty seven cancer patients of 2,400 registered people in a family center were given an educational program in this descriptive and cross-sectional study twice a week for a month during the period of March 2011 - April 2011. Results: Of all caregivers, 56.8% were between the ages 36-40, 94.5% were female, 91.9% had received no education on caregiving, 81.0% stated that they mostly felt physically and mentally inadequate in their caregiving. Perceived Social Support from the family indicated a significant difference at
Cancer;caregivers;education;early intervention;family;health problems;home visit;social problems
- Aranda S, Hayan K (2001). Home caregivers of the person with advanced cancer. Cancer Nursing, 24, 300-5 https://doi.org/10.1097/00002820-200108000-00011
- Aras A, Tel H (2009). Determination of perceived social support for patients with COPD and related factors. J Türk Toraks, 10, 63-8.
- Babaoglu E, Oz F (2003). The correlation between emotional and social issues of caregiving spouses of terminal cancer patients. J Res and Develop in Nursing, 2, ?-?.
- Barg F, Nuamah I, McCorkle R (2000). Participant Characteristics Before and After 4 Months Attendance at a Family Caregiver Cancer Education Program. Cancer Nursing, 23, 4.
- Bedard M Koivuranta A, Stuchey A (2004). Health impact on caregivers of providing informal care to cognitively impaired older adults: rural versus urban settings. Can J Rural Med, 9, 15-3.
- Bloom JR (1996). Social support of the cancer patient and the role of the family, cancer and the family. Baider, L., Cooper C.L., De-Nour, A.K (eds), John Wiley & Sons, England pp 31-2.
- Carpetino LJ (1999) Nursing Diagnoses Manual.(Translated by Erdemir F.) 7.Bs, Istanbul, Nobel Tıp Kitabevi.
- Eng AM (1993). The Hospice Interdisciplinary Team A synergistic appoach to the care of dying patients and their families. Holistic Nursing Practic, 7, 49-6. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004650-199307000-00009
- Eriksson E, Lauri S (2000). Informational and emotional support for cancer patient relatives. Eur J Cancer Care, 9, 8-5. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2354.2000.00183.x
- Eskin M (1993). Reliability of the Turkish version of the perceived social support from friends and family scales. J clinical Psychology, 49, 515-2. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-4679(199307)49:4<515::AID-JCLP2270490408>3.0.CO;2-K
- Fadıloglu C (1995).Establishing the needs of caregivers of cancer patients. Aegean University Nursing School J, 11, 43-4.
- Flaskerud JC, Carter PA, Lee P (2000). Distressing Emotions in Female Caregivers of People with AIDS, Age-related Dementia, and Advanced Stage Cancers. Perspectives in Psychiatric Care, 36, 121- 0.
- Given B, Given CW, Kozachic S (2001). Family support in advanced cancer. Cancer J Clin, 51, 213-1. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.51.4.213
- Gulseren L (2002). Schizophrenia and the family, difficulties, burdens, emotions, needs. J Turk Psychiatry, 13, 143-1.
- Hunt M (1991).The truth about terminal cancer. Nursing, 4, 9-1.
- Kim Y, Given BA (2008). Quaility of life of family caregivers of cancer survivors: across the trajectory of the illness. Cancer, 112, 2556-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.23449
- Kim Y, Baker F, Spillers RL (2007). Cancer caregivers' Quality of Life: effect of gender, relationship and appraisal. J Pain Symptom Manage, 34, 294-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2006.11.012
- Kim Y, Baker F, Spillers RL, Wellisch DK (2006). Psychological adjustment of cancer caregivers with multiple roles. Psychooncology, ?, 795-4.
- Kellner M, Henrich G, Sellschopp A, Beutel M (1996). Between Distress and Support of Cancer Patients. In Baider C, Cooper C.L, Kaplan De Nour (Ed), Cancer and the Family John Wiley & Sons, England pp 187-3.
- Macneil G, Kosberg JI, Durkin DW, et al (2010). Caregiver mental health and potentially harmful caregiving behavior: the central role of caregiver anger. Gerontologist, 50, 76-6. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/gnp099
- Parmelee PA (1983). Spouse versus other family caregivers: Psychological impact on impaired aged. Am J Community Psychol, 11, 337-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00894053
- Procidona ME, Heller K (1983). Measures of perceived social support from friends and from family. Three validation studies. Am J Community Psychology, 11, 1. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00898416
- Scherbring M (2002). Effect of caregivers' perception of preparedness on burden in an oncology population. Oncol Nursing Forum, 29, 70-6. https://doi.org/10.1188/02.ONF.E70-E76
- Shyu UL (2000). Patterns of caregiving when family caregivers face competing needs. J Advanced Nursing, 31, 35-3. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2000.01262.x
- Smeenk F, Witte LP, Haastregt JCM, et al (1998). Transmural care of terminal cancer patients: Effects on the quality of life of direct caregivers. Nursing Res, 47, 129-6. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006199-199805000-00003
- Skinner R, John M, Hampson SE (2000). Social support and personal models of diabetes as predictors of self-care and wellbeing: longitudinal study of adolescents with diabetes. J Pedatr Psychol, 25, 257-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/jpepsy/25.4.257
- Stone R, Cafferata GL, Sungl J (1987). Caregives of the frail elderly: A national profile. Gerontologist, 27, 616-6. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/27.5.616
- Ugur O (2006). Review of the caregiving burden of caregivers providing home care to oncology patients. Doctorate thesis, Internal Diseases Nursing Department. İzmir: Aegean University.
- Zarit S (2004). Family care and burden at the end of life. CMAJ, 170, 1811-2. https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.1040196
- Quality of Life of Male Spouse Caregivers for Breast Cancer Patients in China vol.15, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.10.4181