- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Gallbladder Carcinoma: Analysis of Prognostic Factors in 132 Cases
- Wang, Rui-Tao (Department of hepatobiliary surgery, the First Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Xu, Xin-Sen (Department of hepatobiliary surgery, the First Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Liu, Jun (Department of hepatobiliary surgery, the First Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Liu, Chang (Department of hepatobiliary surgery, the First Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Xi'an Jiaotong University)
- Published : 2012.06.30
Objective: To evaluate the prognostic factors of gallbladder carcinoma. Methods: Presentation, operative data, complications, and survival outcome were examined for 132 gallbladder carcinoma patients who underwent gallbladder surgery in our unit during 2002-2007, and follow-up results were obtained from every patient for univariate and multivariate survival analysis. Results: The univariate analysis showed that gallbladder lesion history, tumor cell differentiation, Nevin staging, preoperative lymph node metastasis and the surgical approach significantly correlated with the prognosis of the patients (p<0.05). The results of the multivariate analysis (Cox regression) showed that gallbladder lesion history, Nevin staging and the surgical approach were independent predicators with relative risks of 6.9, 4.4, 2.8, respectively (p=0.002, 0.003, 0.008). Conclusion: Gallbladder lesion history, Nevin staging and the surgical approach are independent prognostic factors for gallbladder carcinoma, a rapidly fatal disease. Therefore, early diagnosis, anti-infective therapy and radical surgery are greatly needed to improve the prognosis of gallbladder carcinoma.
Gallbladder carcinoma;multivariate analysis;prognosis
- Czito BG, Hurwitz HI, Clough RW, et al (2005). Adjuvant external-beam radiotherapy with concurrent chemotherapy after resection of primary gallbladder carcinoma: a 23-year experience. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 62, 1030-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2004.12.059
- DeStoll M. (1778) Rationis Mendendi, in Nosocomio Practico vendobonensi. Part 1 LugduniBatavarum, Haak et Socios et A et J Honkoop.
- Donohue JH, Andrew KS, Herman RM (1998). The national cancer database report on carcinoma of the gallbladder, 1989-1995. Cancer, 83, 2618-28. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(19981215)83:12<2618::AID-CNCR29>3.0.CO;2-H
- Fong YM, Jarnagin W, Blumgart LH (2000). Gallbladder cancer: comparison of patients presenting initially for definitive operation with those presenting after prior noncurative intervention. Ann Surg, 232, 557-69. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000658-200010000-00011
- Frezza EE, Mezghebe H (1997). Gallbladder carcinoma: a 28 year experience. Int Surg, 82, 295-300.
- Ishak G, Ribeiro FS, Costa DS, et al (2011). Gallbllader cancer: 10 years of experience at an Amazon reference hospital. Rev Col Bras Cir, 38, 100-4. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0100-69912011000200006
- Ito H, Matros E, Brooks DC, et al (2004). Treatment outcomes associated with surgery for gallbladder cancer: A 20-year experience. J Gastrointest Surg, 8, 183-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gassur.2003.10.006
- Jiang JW, Dong SX, Zhou ZX, et al (2008). Surgical management for carcinoma of the gallbladder: a single-institution experience in 25 years. Chin Med J, 121, 1900-5.
- Nimura Y, Hayakawa N, Kamiya J, et al (1991). Hepatopancreatoduodenectomy for advanced carcinoma of the biliary tract. Hepatogastroenterology, 38, 170-5.
- Ogura Y, Mizumoto R, Isaji S, et al (1991). Radical operations for carcinoma of the gallbladder: present status in Japan. World J Surg, 15, 337-43. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01658725
- Ouchi K, Owada Y, Matsuno S, Sato T (1987). Prognostic factors in the surgical treatment of gallbladder carcinoma. Surgery, 101, 731-7.
- Ouchi K, Sugawara T, Ono H, et al (1999). Diagnostic capability and rational resectional surgery for early gallbladder cancer. Hepatogastroenterology, 46, 1557-60.
- Pandey M, Mishra RR, Dixit R, et al (2010). Helicobacter bilis in human gallbladder cancer: results of a case-control study and a meta-analysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 343-7.
- Puhalla H, Wild T, Bareck E, et al (2002). Long-term follow-up of surgically treated gallbladder cancer patients. Eur J Surg Oncol, 28, 857-63. https://doi.org/10.1053/ejso.2002.1301
- Rios Zambudio A, Sanchez Bueno F, Garcia Marcilla JA, et al (2001). Prognostic factors in gallbladder cancer. Gastroenterol Hepatol, 24, 281-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0210-5705(01)70175-6
- Sasaki R, Itabashi H, Fujita T, et al (2006). Significance of extensive surgery including resection of the pancreas head for the treatment of gallbladder cancer from the perspective of mode of lymph node involvement and surgical outcome. World Surg, 30, 36-42. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-005-0181-z
- Schauer RJ, Meyer G, Baretton G, et al (2001). Prognostic factors and long-term results after surgery for gallbladder carcinoma: a retrospective study of 127 patients. Langenbecks Arch Surg, 86, 110-7.
- Todoroki T, Kawamoto T , Takahashi H , et al (1999). Treatment of gallbladder cancer by radical resection. Br J Surg, 86, 622-7. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2168.1999.01085.x
- Yee K, Sheppard BC, Domreis J, et al (2002). Cancers of the gallbladder and biliary ducts. Oncology, 16, 939-49.
- Impact of Routine Histopathological Examination of Gall Bladder Specimens on Early Detection of Malignancy - A Study of 4,115 Cholecystectomy Specimens vol.14, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.3315
- Prognostic significance of combined preoperative fibrinogen and CA199 in gallbladder cancer patients vol.24, pp.13, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v24.i13.1451