- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The MTHFR C677T Polymorphism and Prostate Cancer Risk: New Findings from a Meta-analysis of 7306 Cases and 8062 Controls
- Zhang, Wei-Bing ;
- Zhang, Jun-Hong ;
- Pan, Zheng-Qi ;
- Yang, Qi-Sheng ;
- Liu, Bo
- Published : 2012.06.30
Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) is an essential enzyme involved in folate metabolism; a single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) C677T has been reported to be linked with altered incidences of several diseases. We here conducted a meta-analysis of 15 published epidemiological studies with a total of 7306 cases and 8062 controls to evaluate its association with prostate cancer risk with overall and subgroup analyses. No statistical relationship was found overall with any genetic model (TT vs. CC: OR = 0.80, 95%CI = [0.62, 1.04], P = 0.094; CT vs. CC: OR = 0.97, 95%CI = [0.84; 1.12], P = 0.667; Dominant: OR = 0.94, 95%CI = [0.82; 1.07], P = 0.343; Recessive: OR = 0.81, 95%CI = [0.64; 1.04], P = 0.104), but after the exclusion of several studies, we could observe the homozygote TT to confer less susceptibility to prostate cancer in carriers; moreover, different effects of the polymorphism on prostate cancer risk was detected from subgroup analysis stratified by participants' residential region: significant reduced prostate cancer risk was found to be associated with the polymorphism from Asian studies (TT vs. CC: OR = 0.47, 95%CI = [0.33; 0.67], P < 0.001; CT vs. CC: OR = 0.73, 95%CI = [0.60; 0.90], P = 0.002; Dominant: OR = 0.67, 95%CI = [0.56; 0.82], P < 0.001; Recessive: OR = 0.55, 95%CI = [0.40; 0.76], P < 0.001) while studies from Europe indicated a slight increased risk under dominant model with marginal significance (OR = 1.14, 95%CI = [0.99; 1.30], P = 0.064). Moreover, the protective effect of the polymorphism against prostate cancer was also shown by studies performed in yellow Asians (TT vs. CC: OR = 0.48, 95%CI = [0.31; 0.75], P = 0.001; CT vs. CC: OR = 0.68, 95%CI = [0.51; 0.90], P = 0.006; Dominant: OR = 0.63, 95%CI = [0.48; 0.82], P < 0.001; Recessive: OR = 0.57, 95%CI = [0.39; 0.84], P = 0.004). We propose that these phenomena should be viewed with the consideration of folate metabolism profile and different gene background as well as living habits of different populations, and more relevant studies should be conducted to confirm our hypothesis and provide a comprehensive and clear picture concerning this topic.
Meta-analysis;MTHFR;polymorphism;prostate cancer risk;ethnic groups
- Bai JL, Zheng MH, Xia X, et al (2009). MTHFR C677T polymorphism contributes to prostate cancer risk among Caucasians: A meta-analysis of 3511 cases and 2762 controls. Eur J Cancer, 45, 1443-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2009.01.020
- Cai D, Ning L, Pan C, et al (2010). Association of polymorphisms in folate metabolic genes and prostate cancer risk: a casecontrol study in a Chinese population. J Genet, 89, 263-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12041-010-0037-7
- Choi SW, Mason JB (2000). Folate and carcinogenesis: an integrated scheme. J Nutr, 130, 129-32.
- Cicek MS, Nock NL, Li L, et al (2004). Relationship between methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase C677T and A1298C genotypes and haplotypes and prostate cancer risk and aggressiveness. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 13, 1331-6.
- Cole BF BJ, Sandler RS, et al (2007). A randomized trial of folic acid for the prevention of colorectal adenomas. JAMA 297, 2351-9. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.297.21.2351
- Collin SM, Metcalfe C, Zuccolo L, et al (2009) Association of folate-pathway gene polymorphisms with the risk of prostate cancer: a population-based nested case-control study, systematic review, and meta-analysis. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 18, 2528-39. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-09-0223
- DerSimonian RLN (1986). Meta-analysis in clinical trials. Control Clin Trials, 7, 177-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/0197-2456(86)90046-2
- Detchokul S, Frauman AG (2011). Recent developments in prostate cancer biomarker research: therapeutic implications. Br J Clin Pharmacol, 71, 157-74. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2125.2010.03766.x
- Dong X, Wu J, Liang P, et al (2010). Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase C677T and A1298C polymorphisms and gastric cancer: a meta-analysis. Arch Med Res, 41, 125-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arcmed.2010.01.001
- Friso S, Choi SW, Girelli D, et al (2002). A common mutation in the 5,10-methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase gene affects genomic DNA methylation through an interaction with folate status. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 99, 5606-11. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.062066299
- Frosst P, Blom HJ, Milos R, et al (1995). A candidate genetic risk factor for vascular disease: a common mutation in methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase. Nat Genet, 10, 111-3. https://doi.org/10.1038/ng0595-111
- Halsted CH, Villanueva JA, Devlin AM, et al (2002). Metabolic interactions of alcohol and folate. J Nutr, 132, S2367-72.
- Heijmans BT, Boer JM, Suchiman HE, et al (2003). A common variant of the methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase gene (1p36) is associated with an increased risk of cancer. Cancer Res, 63, 1249-53.
- Higgins JP TS, Deeks JJ, Altman DG (2003). Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses. BMJ, 327, 557-60. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.327.7414.557
- Hoffman RM (2011). Clinical practice. Screening for prostate cancer. N Engl J Med, 365, 2013-9. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMcp1103642
- Hubner RA, Houlston RS (2007). MTHFR C677T and colorectal cancer risk: A meta-analysis of 25 populations. Int J Cancer, 120, 1027-35.
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Johansson M, Van Guelpen B, Hultdin J, et al (2007). The MTHFR 677C --> T polymorphism and risk of prostate cancer: results from the CAPS study. Cancer Causes Control, 18, 1169-74. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-007-9055-z
- Kim DH, Smith-Warner SA, Spiegelman D, et al (2010) Pooled analyses of 13 prospective cohort studies on folate intake and colon cancer. Cancer Causes Control, 21, 1919-30. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-010-9620-8
- Kim YI (1999). Folate and carcinogenesis: evidence, mechanisms, and implications. J Nutr Biochem, 10, 66-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0955-2863(98)00074-6
- Kim YI (2004). Folate, colorectal carcinogenesis, and DNA methylation: lessons from animal studies. Environ Mol Mutagen, 44, 10-25. https://doi.org/10.1002/em.20025
- Kimura F, Franke KH, Steinhoff C, et al (2000). Methyl group metabolism gene polymorphisms and susceptibility to prostatic carcinoma. Prostate, 45, 225-31. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0045(20001101)45:3<225::AID-PROS4>3.0.CO;2-7
- Kucukhuseyin O, Kurnaz O, Akadam-Teker AB, et al (2011) Effects of the MTHFR C677T Polymorphism on Prostate Specific Antigen and Prostate Cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2275-8.
- Langevin SM, Lin D, Matsuo K, et al (2009). Review and pooled analysis of studies on MTHFR C677T polymorphism and esophageal cancer. Toxicol Lett, 184, 73-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.toxlet.2008.09.003
- Larsson SC, Giovannucci E, Wolk A (2006). Folate intake, MTHFR polymorphisms, and risk of esophageal, gastric, and pancreatic cancer: a meta-analysis. Gastroenterology, 131, 1271-83. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2006.08.010
- Larsson SC, Giovannucci E, Wolk A (2007). Folate and risk of breast cancer: a meta-analysis. J Natl Cancer Inst, 99, 64-76. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djk006
- Lewis SJ, Zammit S, Gunnell D, et al (2005). A meta-analysis of the MTHFR C677T polymorphism and schizophrenia risk. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet, 135B, 2-4. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajmg.b.30170
- Liu B, Mao Q, Cao M, et al (2012). Cruciferous vegetables intake and risk of prostate cancer: A meta-analysis. Int J Urol, 19, 134-41. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-2042.2011.02906.x
- Marchal C, Redondo M, Reyes-Engel A, et al (2008). Association between polymorphisms of folate-metabolizing enzymes and risk of prostate cancer. Eur J Surg Oncol, 34, 805-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2007.09.008
- Molloy AM (2012). Genetic aspects of folate metabolism. Subcell Biochem, 56, 105-30. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-007-2199-9_7
- Muslumanoglu MH, Tepeli E, Demir S, et al (2009). The analysis of the relationship between A1298C and C677T polymorphisms of the MTHFR gene with prostate cancer in Eskisehir population. Genet Test Mol Biomarkers, 13, 641-5. https://doi.org/10.1089/gtmb.2009.0046
- Organization WH (2011). Global status report on alcohol and health.
- Reljic A, Simundic AM, Topic E, et al (2007). The methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) C677T polymorphism and cancer risk: the Croatian case-control study. Clin Biochem, 40, 981-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2007.05.005
- Safarinejad MR, Shafiei N, Safarinejad S (2010). Relationship between three polymorphisms of methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR C677T, A1298C, and G1793A) gene and risk of prostate cancer: a case-control study. Prostate, 70, 1645-57. https://doi.org/10.1002/pros.21200
- Schroder FH (2011). Screening for prostate cancer. Eur J Cancer, 47, S164-70.
- Siegel R, Ward E, Brawley O, et al (2011). Cancer statistics, 2011: the impact of eliminating socioeconomic and racial disparities on premature cancer deaths. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 212-36. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20121
- Singal R, Ferdinand L, Das PM, et al (2004) Polymorphisms in the methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase gene and prostate cancer risk. Int J Oncol, 25, 1465-71.
- Society AC (2011). Cancer Facts & Figures 2011. Atlanta: American Cancer Society.
- Stankova J, Shang J, Rozen R (2005). Antisense inhibition of methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase reduces cancer cell survival in vitro and tumor growth in vivo. Clin Cancer Res, 11, 2047-52. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-04-2047
- Stevens VL, Rodriguez C, Sun J, et al (2008). No association of single nucleotide polymorphisms in one-carbon metabolism genes with prostate cancer risk. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 17, 3612-4. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-08-0789
- Taioli E, Garza MA, Ahn YO, et al (2009). Meta- and pooled analyses of the methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) C677T polymorphism and colorectal cancer: a HuGE-GSEC review. Am J Epidemiol, 170, 1207-21. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwp275
- Ulrich CM (2007). Folate and cancer prevention: a closer look at a complex picture. Am J Clin Nutr, 86, 271-3.
- Ulrich CM (2008). Folate and cancer prevention--where to next? Counterpoint. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 17, 2226-30. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-07-2952
- Ulrich CM, Potter JD (2006). Folate supplementation: too much of a good thing? Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 15, 189-93. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-152CO
- Van Guelpen BR, Wiren SM, Bergh AR, et al (2006). Polymorphisms of methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase and the risk of prostate cancer: a nested case-control study. Eur J Cancer Prev, 15, 46-50. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.cej.0000186640.19872.4d
- Wien TN, Pike E, Wisloff T, et al (2012). Cancer risk with folic acid supplements: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ Open, 2, e000653. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2011-000653
- Wu HC, Chang CH, Tsai RY, et al (2010). Significant association of methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase single nucleotide polymorphisms with prostate cancer susceptibility in taiwan. Anticancer Res, 30, 3573-7.
- Yan J, Yin M, Dreyer ZE, et al (2012). A meta-analysis of MTHFR C677T and A1298C polymorphisms and risk of acute lymphoblastic leukemia in children. Pediatr Blood Cancer, 58, 513-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/pbc.23137
- Yan L, Spitznagel EL (2009). Soy consumption and prostate cancer risk in men: a revisit of a meta-analysis. Am J Clin Nutr, 89, 1155-63. https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.2008.27029
- Yin M, Dong L, Zheng J, et al (2012). Meta analysis of the association between MTHFR C677T polymorphism and the risk of congenital heart defects. Ann Hum Genet, 76, 9-16. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-1809.2011.00687.x
- Zhang J, Qiu LX, Wang ZH et al (2010). MTHFR C677T polymorphism associated with breast cancer susceptibility: a meta-analysis involving 15,260 cases and 20,411 controls. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 123, 549-55. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-010-0783-5
- CYP1A1 MspI polymorphism is associated with prostate cancer susceptibility: evidence from a meta-analysis vol.40, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-012-2423-0
- The Methylenetetrahydrofolate Reductase C677T Polymorphism and Breast Cancer Risk in Asian Populations vol.15, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5853
- Association between MTHFR C677T Polymorphism and Risk of Prostate Cancer: Evidence from 22 Studies with 10,832 Cases and 11,993 Controls vol.16, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.11.4525