- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Fumonisin B1 Contamination of Cereals and Risk of Esophageal Cancer in a High Risk Area in Northeastern Iran
- Alizadeh, Ali Mohammad (Cancer Research Center, School of Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Roshandel, Gholamreza (Golestan Research Center of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Golestan University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Roudbarmohammadi, Shahla (Department of Medical Mycology, School of Medicine, Tarbiat Modres University) ;
- Roudbary, Maryam (Department of Medical Mycology, School of Medicine, Tarbiat Modres University) ;
- Sohanaki, Hamid (Department of Physicology, School of Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Ghiasian, Seyed Amir (Medical Parasitology and Mycology Department, School of Medicine, Hamedan University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Taherkhani, Amir (Golestan Research Center of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Golestan University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Semnani, Shahryar (Golestan Research Center of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Golestan University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Aghasi, Maryam (Cancer Research Center, School of Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2012.06.30
Introduction: Fumonisin B1 (FB1) is a toxic and carcinogenic mycotoxin produced in cereals due to fungal infection. This study was conducted to determine FB1 contamination of rice and corn samples and its relationship with the rate of esophageal cancer (EC) in a high risk area in northeastern Iran. Methods: In total, 66 rice and 66 corn samples were collected from 22 geographical subdivisions of Golestan province of Iran. The levels of FB1 were measured for each subdivision by thin layer and high pressure liquid chromatographies. The mean level of FB1 and the proportions of FB1 contaminated samples were compared between low and high EC-risk areas of the province. Results: The mean of FB1 levels in corn and rice samples were 223.64 and 21.59
Fumonisin B1;rice;corn;esophageal cancer;high risk region;Iran
- Abbas H, Cartwright R, Shier W, et al (1998). Natural occurrence of fumonisins in rice with fusarium sheath rot disease. Plant Disease, 82, 22-5. https://doi.org/10.1094/PDIS.19126.96.36.199
- Akiyama H, Miyahara M, Toyoda M, Saito Y (1994). [Comparison of several fluorescence HPLC methods for fumonisin analysis]. Eisei Shidenjo Hokoku, 112, 112-7.
- Chelule PK, Gqaleni N, Dutton MF, Chuturgoon AA (2001). Exposure of rural and urban populations in KwaZulu Natal, South Africa, to fumonisin B (1) in maize. Environ Health Perspect, 109, 253-6.
- Chu FS, Li GY (1994). Simultaneous occurrence of fumonisin B1 and other mycotoxins in moldy corn collected from the people's republic of China in regions with high incidences of esophageal cancer. Appl Environ Microbiol, 60, 847-52.
- Duncan K, Kruger S, Zabe N, Kohn B, Prioli R (1998). Improved fluorometric and chromatographic methods for the quantification of fumonisins B1, B2 and B3. J Chromatogr A, 815, 41-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9673(98)00429-4
- Gelderblom WC, Jaskiewicz K, Marasas WF, et al (1988). Fumonisins--novel mycotoxins with cancer-promoting activity produced by fusarium moniliforme. Appl Environ Microbiol, 54, 1806-11.
- Ghiasian SA, Kord-Bacheh P, Rezayat SM, Maghsood AH, Taherkhani H(2004). Mycoflora of Iranian maize harvested in the main production areas in 2000. Mycopathologis, 158, 113-21. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:MYCO.0000038425.95049.03
- Ghiasian SA, Rezayat SM, Kord-Bacheh P, et al (2005). Fumonisin production by fusarium species isolated from freshly harvested corn in Iran. Mycopathologia, 159, 31-40. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11046-004-3899-5
- Hennigen MR, Valente Soares LM, Sanchez S (2000). Fumonisin in corn hybrids grown in Argentina for two consecutive seasons. Xth International IUPAC Symposium on Mycotoxins and Phytotoxins, Guaruja, 331-9.
- Humphreys SH, Carrington C, Bolger M (2001). A quantitative risk assessment for fumonisins B1 and B2 in US corn. Food Addit Contam, 18, 211-20. https://doi.org/10.1080/02652030010021486
- IARC team, Toxins derived from fusarium moniliforme: fumonisins B1 and B2 and fusarin C. In: IARC team (1993). IARC Monographs on the evaluation of the carcinogenic risks to humans. Lyon: International Agency for Research on Cancer.
- Jackson LS, Devries JW, Bullerman LB (2000). Fumonisins in food (Advances in experimental medicine and biology), New York: Plenum Press.
- Joint FAO WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives Meeting (2002). Evaluation of certain mycotoxins in food: fifty-sixth report of the joint FAO/WHO expert committee on food additives, World Health Organization.
- Kamangar F, Malekzadeh R, Dawsey SM, Saidi F (2007). Esophageal cancer in northeastern Iran: a review. Arch Iran Med, 10, 70-82.
- Klaric MS, Rumora L, Ljubanovic D, Pepeljnjak S(2008). Cytotoxicity and apoptosis induced by fumonisin B 1, beauvericin and ochratoxin a in porcine kidney PK15 cells: effects of individual and combined treatment. Arch Toxicol, 82, 247-55. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00204-007-0245-y
- Marasas WF (1995). Fumonisins: their implications for human and animal health. Nat Toxins, 3, 193-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/nt.2620030405
- Marasas WF (1996). Fumonisins: history, world-wide occurrence and impact. Adv Exp Med Biol, 392, 1-17. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4899-1379-1_1
- Marasas WFO, Kriek NPJ, Fincham JE, Van Rensburg SJ (1984). Primary liver cancer and oesophageal basal cell hyperplasia in rats caused by fusarium moniliforme. Int J Cancer, 34, 383-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.2910340315
- Miller JD (2001). Factors that affect the occurrence of fumonisin. Environ Health Perspect, 109, 321-4. https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.01109s2321
- Nelson PE, Toussoun TA, Marasas WFO (1993). Fusarium species: An illustrated Manual identification, Pennsylvania The Pennsylvania State University Press University Park.
- Orsi RB, Corrla B, Possi CR, et al(2000). Mycoflora and occurrence of fumonisins in freshly harvested and stored hybrid maize. J Stored Prod Red, 36, 75-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-474X(99)00029-6
- Rheeder J, Marasas W, Thiel P, et al (1992). Fusarium moniliforme and fumonisins in corn in relation to human esophageal cancer in Transkei. Phytopathology, 82, 353-7. https://doi.org/10.1094/Phyto-82-353
- Rheeder JP, Marasas WFO, Schalkwyk DJ (1993). Incidence of fusarium and diplodia species in naturally infected grain of South African maize cultivars: A follow-up study. Phytophylactica, 25, 43-8.
- Rheeder JP, Sydenham EW, Marasas WFO, et al (1994). Ear-rot fungi and mycotoxins in South African corn of the 1989 crop exported to Taiwan. Mycopathologia, 127, 35-41. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01104009
- Rice LG, Ross PF, Dejong J, Plattner RD, Coats JR(1995). Evaluation of a liquid chromatographic method for the determination of fumonisins in corn, poultry feed, and Fusarium culture material. J AOAC Int, 78, 1002-9.
- Roshandel G, Sadjadi A, Aarabi M, et al(2012). Cancer Incidence in Golestan Province: Report of an Ongoing Population-based Cancer Registry in Iran between 2004 and 2008. Arch Iran Med, 15, 196-200.
- Rottinghaus GE, Coatney CE, Minor HC (1992). A rapid, sensitive thin layer chromatography procedure for the detection of fumonisin B1 and B2. J Vet Diagn Invest, 4, 326-9. https://doi.org/10.1177/104063879200400316
- Sanchis V, Abadias M, Oncins L, et al (1994). Occurrence of fumonisins B1 and B2 in corn-based products from the Spanish market. Appl Environ Microbiol, 60, 2147-8.
- Schaafsma AW, Hooker DC (2007). Climatic models to predict occurrence of fusarium toxins in wheat and maize. Int J Food Microbiol, 119, 116-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2007.08.006
- Semnani S, Roshandel G, Zendehbad A, et al (2010). Soils selenium level and esophageal cancer: an ecological study in a high risk area for esophageal cancer. J Trace Elem Med Biol, 24, 174-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtemb.2010.03.002
- Sharma RP, He Q, Johnson VJ, Voss KA (2003). Increased expression of CD95-ligand and other apoptotic signaling factors by fumonisin B1, a hepatotoxic mycotoxin, in livers of mice lacking tumor necrosis factor alpha. Cytokine-Cytokine, 24, 226-36.
- Shephard GS, Marasas WF, Leggott NL, et al (2000). Natural occurrence of fumonisins in corn from Iran. J Agric Food Chem, 48, 1860-4. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf991196t
- Soriano JM, Gonzalez L, Catala AI (2005). Mechanism of action of sphingolipids and their metabolites in the toxicity of fumonisin B1. Prog Lipid Res, 44, 345-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plipres.2005.09.001
- Stockmann-Juvala H, Savolainen K (2008). A review of the toxic effects and mechanisms of action of fumonisin B1. Hum Exp Toxicol, 27, 799-809. https://doi.org/10.1177/0960327108099525
- Sydenham EW, Thiel PG, Marasas WFO, et al (1990). Natural occurrence of some Fusarium mycotoxins in corn from low and high esophageal cancer prevalence areas of the Transkei, Southern Africa. J Agric Food Chem, 38, 1900-3. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00100a004
- Voss KA, Riley RT, Norred WP, et al (2001). An overview of rodent toxicities: liver and kidney effects of fumonisins and fusarium moniliforme. Environ Health Perspect, 109, 259-66. https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.01109s2259
- Wang H, Huijuan WEI, Jilin MA, Xianmao LUO(2000). The fumonisin B1 content in corn from North China, a high-risk area of esophageal cancer. J Environ Pathol Toxicol Oncol, 19, 139-41.
- Yazdanpanah H, Shephard GS, Marasas WFO, et al (2006). Human dietary exposure to fumonisin B 1 from Iranian maize harvested during 1998-2000. Mycopathologis, 161, 395-401. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11046-006-0017-x
- Yoshizawa T, Yamashita A, Luo Y (1994). Fumonisin occurrence in corn from high-and low-risk areas for human esophageal cancer in China. Appl Environ Microbiol, 60, 1626-9.
- Stimulation of the proliferation of human normal esophageal epithelial cells by fumonisin B1 and its mechanism vol.7, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3892/etm.2013.1364
- Natural Occurrence of Mycotoxins in Food and Feed: Pakistan Perspective vol.14, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1111/1541-4337.12122
- A survey of mycotoxins in domestic rice in Iran by liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry vol.24, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3109/15376516.2013.844752
- Review article: fungal microbiota and digestive diseases vol.39, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1111/apt.12665
- Association between the genetic variations within TBX21 gene promoter and the clinicopathological characteristics of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma in a high-risk Chinese population vol.36, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-015-3042-x
- Genetic Factors Involved in Fumonisin Accumulation in Maize Kernels and Their Implications in Maize Agronomic Management and Breeding vol.7, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3390/toxins7083267
- Sensitive and homogenous immunoassay of fumonisin in foods using single molecule fluorescence correlation spectroscopy vol.8, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1039/C5AY02844B
- Relação entre níveis de fumonisina B1 e ácido fólico em farinha de milho e a concentração de ácido fólico no soro humano vol.83, pp.0, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1590/1808-1657000972014
- Dietary Fumonisin and Growth Impairment in Children and Animals: A Review pp.15414337, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/1541-4337.12392
- Mycotoxin exposure and adverse reproductive health outcomes in Africa: a review vol.11, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3920/WMJ2017.2261
- Exposure, Occurrence, and Chemistry of Fumonisins and their Cryptic Derivatives vol.17, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/1541-4337.12334