- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Four years Incidence Rate of Colorectal Cancer in Iran: A Survey of National Cancer Registry Data - Implications for Screening
- Azadeh, Safaee (Gastroenterology and Liver Diseases Research Center, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Science) ;
- Reza, Fatemi Seyed (Gastroenterology and Liver Diseases Research Center, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Science) ;
- Sara, Ashtari (Gastroenterology and Liver Diseases Research Center, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Science) ;
- Mohsen, Vahedi (Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Tehran University of Medical Science) ;
- Bijan, Moghimi-Dehkordi (Gastroenterology and Liver Diseases Research Center, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Science) ;
- Zali, Zali Reza (Gastroenterology and Liver Diseases Research Center, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Science)
- Published : 2012.06.30
Introduction: Design and implementation of screening programs in each country must be based on epidemiological data. Despite the relatively high incidence of CRC, there is no nationwide comprehensive program for screening in Iran. This study was designed to investigate national CRC data and help to determine guidelines for screening. Methods: Incidence data used in this study were obtained from Iranian annual of National Cancer Registration report. Age standardized rates (ASR)were calculated using world standard population and were categorized by age, sex, anatomic subsite and morphology of tumor. Data were analyzed using SPSS.V.13 and Open Source Epidemiologic Statistics for Public Health software (OpenEpi v.2.3.1). Results: A quarter of cases were less than 50 years of age. The majority of tumors were detected in the colon. The overall ASR in the four years period was 38.0 per 100000 and was higher for men compared women (P<0.05). Incidence rate of colorectal cancer increased with age. Conclusion: Results of present study indicated that incidence of colorectal cancer is relatively high in Iran. Incidence of CRC in people under 50 years and in rectum were reported higher than other countries that related etiologic factors should be investigate in further studies. According to the increasing of ASR after age 50 years, it seems that onset of screening at age 50 would be appropriate.
- Azadeh S, Moghimi-Dehkordi B, Fatem S R, et al (2008). Colorectal cancer in Iran: an epidemiological study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 123-6.
- Boyle P, Leon M E (2002). Epidemiology of colorectal cancer. Br Med Bull, 64, 1-25. https://doi.org/10.1093/bmb/64.1.1
- Chong VH, Abdullah MS, Telisinghe PU, et al (2009). Colorectal cancer: incidence and trend in Brunei Darussalam. Singapore Med J, 50, 1085-9.
- De Kok I M, Wong C S, Chia K S, et al (2008). Gender differences in the trend of colorectal cancer incidence in Singapore, 1968-2002. Int J Colorectal Dis, 23, 461-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00384-007-0421-9
- Faivre J, Bouvier A M, Bonithon-Kopp C (2002). Epidemiology and screening of colorectal cancer. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol, 16, 187-99. https://doi.org/10.1053/bega.2001.0280
- Fatemi S R, Shivarani S, Malek F N, et al (2010). Colonoscopy screening results in at risk Iranian population. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1801-4.
- Fritz A, Percy C, Jack A, et al 2000. International Classification of Diseases for Oncology, Genova: World Health Organization.
- Giddings B H, Kwong S L, Parikh-Patel A, et al (2012). Going against the tide: increasing incidence of colorectal cancer among Koreans, Filipinos, and South Asians in California, 1988-2007. Cancer Causes Control, 23, 691-702. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-012-9937-6
- Haggar F A, Boushey R P (2009). Colorectal cancer epidemiology: incidence, mortality, survival, and risk factors. Clin Colon Rectal Surg, 22, 191-7. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0029-1242458
- Islamic Repulic of Iran. Ministry of Health and Medical Education. Center for Disease Control & Prevention. Noncommunicable Deputy. Cancer Office (2008-2009). Iranian Annual of National Cancer Registration Report.
- Jackson-Thompson J, Ahmed F, German R R, et al (2006). Descriptive epidemiology of colorectal cancer in the United States, 1998-2001. Cancer, 107, 1103-11. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.22007
- Jiang S X, Wang X S, Geng C H, et al (2009). Altering trend of clinical characteristics of colorectal cancer: a report of 3,607 cases. Ai Zheng, 28, 54-6.
- Keyfitz N (1966). Sampling Variance of Standardized Mortality Rates. Human Biology, 38, 309-17.
- Moghimi-Dehkordi B, Safaee A, Zali M R (2008). Prognostic factors in 1,138 Iranian colorectal cancer patients. Int J Colorectal Dis, 23, 683-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00384-008-0463-7
- Pahlavan P S, Kanthan, R (2006). The epidemiology and clinical findings of colorectal cancer in Iran. J Gastrointestin Liver Dis, 15, 15-9.
- Ponz De Leon M, Rossi G, Di Gregorio C, et al (2007). Epidemiology of colorectal cancer: the 21-year experience of a specialised registry. Intern Emerg Med, 2, 269-79. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11739-007-0077-z
- Rim S H, Seeff L, Ahmed F, et al (2009). Colorectal cancer incidence in the United States, 1999-2004 : an updated analysis of data from the National Program of Cancer Registries and the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results Program. Cancer, 115, 1967-76. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.24216
- Rozen P, Liphshitz I, Barchana M (2012). Changing Epidemiology of Colorectal Cancer Makes Screening Sigmoidoscopy Less Useful for Identifying Carriers of Colorectal Neoplasms. Dig Dis Sci.
- Safaee A, Moghimi Dehkordi B, Fatemi S R, et al (2010). Epidemiological Differences between Colon Cancer and Rectum Cancer. Iran J Cancer Prev, 3, 185-92.
- Suwanrungruang K, Wiangnon S, Sriamporn S, et al (2006). Trends in incidences of stomach and colorectal cancer in Khon Kaen, Thailand 1985-2004. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 7, 623-6.
- Tas F, Keskin S (2011). Age-specific incidence ratios of colorectal cancer (CRC) in Turkey: CRC in older people is increasing. Arch Gerontol Geriatr. ??, ??
- Yee Y K, Tan V P, Chan P, et al (2009). Epidemiology of colorectal cancer in Asia. J Gastroenterol Hepatol, 24, 1810-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1746.2009.06138.x
- Overview of Cancer Registration Research in the Asian Pacific from 2008-2013 vol.14, pp.8, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4461
- Association of 8q24.21 rs10505477-rs6983267 Haplotype and Age at Diagnosis of Colorectal Cancer vol.15, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.1.369
- Survival of Colorectal Cancer Patients in the Presence of Competing-Risk vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6253
- Quality of Life and Psychological Well-Being of Colorectal Cancer Survivors in Jordan vol.15, pp.18, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.18.7653
- Clinicopathological Features of Colon Adenocarcinoma in Qazvin, Iran: A 16 Year Study vol.15, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.951
- Prevalence and Characteristics of Colorectal Polyps in Symptomatic and Asymptomatic Iranian Patients Undergoing Colonoscopy from 2009-2013 vol.15, pp.22, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.22.9933
- Histopathological Features of Colorectal Cancer in Al-Madinah Region of Saudi Arabia: 8 Years Experience vol.15, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.7.3133
- Characteristics of the Patients With Colorectal Cancer: Epidemiologic Study or Pathology Report-Based Study vol.17, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5812/ircmj.17899
- An Overview of Clinical and Pathological Characteristics and Survival Rate of Colorectal Cancer in Iran vol.2, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.17795/acr-17264
- H Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy vol.2014, pp.2090-2255, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/348712
- Demographic Survey of Four Thousand Patients with 10 Common Cancers in North Eastern Iran over the Past Three Decades vol.15, pp.23, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.23.10193
- Increasing Trend in Colorectal Cancer Incidence in the Southeast of Iran 2003-2013: A Population Based Cancer Registry Study vol.16, pp.13, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.13.5257
- Mortality Determinants in Colorectal Cancer Patients at Different Grades: a Prospective, Cohort Study in Iran vol.16, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.3.1069
- A Systematic Review Over the Incidence of Colorectal Cancer in Iran vol.3, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.17795/acr-25724
- Prodigiosin isolated from cell wall of Serratia marcescens alters expression of apoptosis-related genes and increases apoptosis in colorectal cancer cells vol.32, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-014-0366-0
- Factors Affecting Survival in Patients with Colorectal Cancer in Shiraz, Iran vol.17, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.1.159
- Survival of Colorectal Cancer in the Presence of Competing-Risks - Modeling by Weibull Distribution vol.17, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.3.1193
- Effective Targeting Survivin, Caspase-3 and MicroRNA-16-1 Expression by Methyl-3-pentyl-6-methoxyprodigiosene Triggers Apoptosis in Colorectal Cancer Stem-Like Cells vol.22, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12253-016-0055-8
- A study on the effects of spiritual group therapy on hope and the mental and spiritual health of patients with colorectal cancer vol.25, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/09699260.2017.1339518
- A Review of the Incidence of Colorectal Cancer in the Middle East vol.In press, pp.In press, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5812/acr.46292
- Promoter hypermethylation and downregulation of the FAS gene may be involved in colorectal carcinogenesis vol.12, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2016.4578
- Application of non-parametric non-mixture cure rate model for analyzing survival of patients with colorectal cancer pp.2092-7193, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4178/epih.e2018045
- Comparison of interleukin 18 gene expression and its serum level between Iranian colorectal cancer (CRC) patients and healthy people pp.1336-9563, 2018, https://doi.org/10.2478/s11756-018-0153-z
- Down-Regulated LncRNA-HOTAIR Suppressed Colorectal Cancer Cell Proliferation, Invasion, and Migration by Mediating p21 vol.63, pp.9, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10620-018-5127-z