- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Cytotoxicity, Apoptosis Induction and Anti-Metastatic Potential of Oroxylum indicum in Human Breast Cancer Cells
- Kumar, D.R. Naveen (School of Biosciences and Technology, VIT University) ;
- George, V. Cijo (School of Biosciences and Technology, VIT University) ;
- Suresh, P.K. (School of Biosciences and Technology, VIT University) ;
- Kumar, R. Ashok (Department of Zoology, Government Arts College)
- Published : 2012.06.30
Despite clinical advances in anticancer therapy, there is still a need for novel anticancer metabolites, with higher efficacy and lesser side effects. Oroxylum indicum (L.) Vent. is a small tree of the Bignoniaceae family which is well known for its food and medicinal properties. In present study, the chemopreventive properties of O. indicum hot and cold non-polar extracts (petroleum ether and chloroform) were investigated with MDA-MB-231 (cancer cells) and WRL-68 (non-tumor cells) by XTT assay. All the extracts, and particularly the petroleum ether hot extract (PHO), exhibited significantly (P<0.05) higher cytotoxicity in MDA-MB-231 when compared to WRL-68 cells. PHO was then tested for apoptosis induction in estrogen receptor (ER)-negative (MDA-MB-231) and ER-positive (MCF-7) breast cancer cells by cellular DNA fragmentation ELISA, where it proved more efficient in the MDA-MB-231 cells. Further, when PHO was tested for anti-metastatic potential in a cell migration inhibition assay, it exhibited beneficial effects. Thus non-polar extracts of O. indicum (especially PHO) can effectively target ER-negative breast cancer cells to induce apoptosis, without harming normal cells by cancer-specific cytotoxicity. Hence, it could be considered as an extract with candidate precursors to possibly harness or alleviate ER-negative breast cancer progression even in advanced stages of malignancy.
- Adams LS, Phung S, Yee N, et al (2010). Blueberry phytochemicals inhibit growth and metastatic potential of MDA-MB-231 breast cancer cells through modulation of the Phosphatidylinositol 3-Kinase pathway. Cancer Res, 70, 3594-605. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-09-3565
- Alshatwi AA, Shafi G, Hasan TN, et al (2011). Apoptosismediated inhibition of human breast cancer cell proliferation by lemon citrus extract. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 12, 1555-9.
- Babu KS, Babu TH, Srinivas PV, et al (2006). Synthesis and biological evaluation of novel C (7) modified chrysin analogues as antibacterial agents. Bioorg Med Chem Lett, 16, 221-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bmcl.2005.09.009
- Brahma B, Prasad SB, Verma AK, Rosangkima G (2011). Study on the antitumor efficacy of some select medicinal plants of assam against murine ascites dalton's lymphoma. Pharmacologyonline, 3, 155-68.
- Butlet MS (2004). The role of natural product chemistry in drug discovery. J Nat Prod, 67, 2141-53. https://doi.org/10.1021/np040106y
- Calcabrini A, Garcia-Martinez JM, Gonzalez L, et al (2006). Inhibition of proliferation and induction of apoptosis in human breast cancer cells by lauryl gallate. Carcinogenesis, 27, 1699-712.
- Chathoth S, Thayyullathil F, Galadari S (2008). Curcumin cell signaling: A possible target for chemotherapy. Curr Trends Biotechnol Pharm, 2, 226 -38.
- Chen L, Song H, Du Q, Jianrong L, Ito Y (2005). Analysis of flavonoids in the extracts from the seeds of Oroxylum indicum using high speed countercurrent chromatography/ mass spectrometry. J Liq Chrom Relat Technol, 28, 1549-55. https://doi.org/10.1081/JLC-200058350
- Chen LJ, Games DE, Jonathan J (2003). Isolation and identification of four flavonoid constituents from the seeds of Oroxylum indicum by high-speed counter-current chromatography. J Chromat A, 988, 95-105. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9673(02)01954-4
- Cragg GM, Newman DJ, Snader KM (1997). Natural products in drug discovery and development. J Nat Prod, 60, 52-60. https://doi.org/10.1021/np9604893
- Dahiru D, Sini JM, John-Africa L (2006). Antidiarrhoeal activity of Ziziphus mauritiana root extract in rodents. Afr J Biotechnol, 5, 941-5.
- Dwivedi V, Shrivastava R, Hussain S, Ganguly C, Bharadwaj M (2011). Cytotoxic potential of Indian spices (Extracts) against esophageal squamous carcinoma cells. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 12, 2069-73.
- Elmore S (2007). Apoptosis: A review of programmed cell death. Toxicol Pathol, 35, 495-516. https://doi.org/10.1080/01926230701320337
- Gao X, Deeb D, Jiang H, et al (2005). Curcumin differentially sensitizes malignant glioma cells to TRAIL/Apo2Lmediated apoptosis through activation of procaspases and release of cytochrome c from mitochondria. J Exp Ther Oncol, 5, 39-48.
- Hasan TN, Grace BL, Shafi G, Al-Hazzani AA, Alshatwi AA (2011). Anti-proliferative effects of organic extracts from root bark of juglans regia L. (RBJR) on MDA-MB-231 Human Breast Cancer Cells: Role of Bcl-2/Bax, Caspases and Tp53. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 12, 525-30.
- Huang T, Gong WH, Li XC, et al (2012). Induction of apoptosis by a combination of paclitaxel and carboplatin in the presence of hyperthermia. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 13, 81-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.081
- Islam MK, Eti IZ, Chowdhury JA (2010). Phytochemical and antimicrobial analysis on the extracte of Oroxylum indicum linn. Stem-Bark. IJPT, 9, 25-8.
- Kimman M, Norman R, Jan S, Kingston D, Woodward M (2012). The burden of cancer in member countries of the association of Southeast Asian nations (ASEAN). Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 13, 411-20. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.2.411
- Kintzios E (2006). Terrestrial plant-derived anticancer agents and plant species used in anticancer research. Crit Rev Plant Sci, 25, 79-113. https://doi.org/10.1080/07352680500348824
- Kobeasy MI, Abdel-Fatah OM, El-Salam SMA, El-Ola ZMM (2011). Biochemical studies on Plantago major L. and Cyamopsis tetragonoloba L. Int J Biodiversity and Conservation, 3, 83-91.
- Kumar RA, Rajkumar V, Guha G, Mathew L (2010). Therapeutic potentials of oroxylum indicum bark extracts. Chinese J Nat Med, 8, 121-6. https://doi.org/10.3724/SP.J.1009.2010.00121
- Kumar RS, Rajkapoor B, Perumal P (2011). Antitumor and cytotoxic activities of methanol extract of Indigofera linnaei Ali. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 12, 613-8.
- Kviecinski MR, Felipe KB, Schoenfelder T et al (2008). Study of the antitumor potential of Bidens pilosa (Asteraceae) used in Brazilian folk medicine. J Ethnopharmacol, 117, 69-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2008.01.017
Lambertini E, Piva R, Khan MT, et al (2004). Effects of extracts from bangladeshi medicinal plants on in vitro proliferation of human breast cancer cell lines and expression of estrogen receptor
$\alpha$gene. Int J Oncol, 24, 419-23.
- Lamy V, Gosse F, Raul F, Chaabi M, Lobstein A (2009). Lupulone, a hop phytochemical, activates different apoptotic pathways in human colon tumor cells and in their derived metastatic cells. Acta Hort, 848, 215-20.
- Laupattarakasem P, Houghton PJ, Hoult JR, Itharat A (2003). An evaluation of the activity related to inflammation of four plants used in Thailand to treat arthritis. J Ethnopharmacol, 85, 207-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-8741(02)00367-7
- Loc NH, Kiet HV (2011). Micropropagation of solanum hainanense hance. Annals of Biol Res, 2, 394-8.
- Lodha RS, Nandeshwar S, Pal DK, et al (2011). Risk factors for breast cancer among women in bhopal urban agglomerate: A Case-Control Study. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 12, 2111-5.
- Maitreyi Z, Khandhar A, Jain S (2008). Quantification of baicalein, chrysin, biochanin-A and ellagic acid in root bark of Oroxylum indicum by RP-HPLC with UV detection. Eur J Anal Chem, 3, 245-57.
- Mans DRA, Rocha ABD, Schwartsmann G (2000). Anti-cancer drug discovery and development in Brazil: Targeted plant collection as a rational strategy to acquire candidate anticancer compounds. The Oncologist, 5, 185-98. https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.5-3-185
- Mao AA (2002). Oroxylum indicum vent. A potential anticancer medicinal plant. Ind J Trad Know, 1, 17-21.
- Meiyanto E, Hermawan A, Anindyajati A (2012). Natural products for cancer-targeted therapy: Citrus flavonoids as potent chemopreventive agents. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 13, 427-36 https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.2.427
- Mooney D (2005). Cancer: One step at a time. Nature, 436, 468-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/436468a
- Nair AGR, Joshi BS (1979). Oroxindin-A new flavone glucuronide from Oroxylum indicum vent. J Chem Sci, 88, 323-7.
- Pandi M, Kumaran RS, Choi YK, Kim HJ, Muthumary J (2011). Isolation and detection of taxol, an anticancer drug produced from Lasiodiplodia theobromae, an endophytic fungus of the medicinal plant Morinda citrifolia. Afr J Biotechnol, 10, 1428-35.
- Park HJ, Kim MJ, Ha E, Chung JH (2008). Apoptotic effect of hesperidin through caspase-3 activation in human colon cancer cell SNU-C4. Phytomedicine, 15, 147-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phymed.2007.07.061
- Polya GM (2003). Biochemical targets of plant bioactive compounds: a pharmacological reference guide to sites of action and biological effects. CRC press, Victoria, Australia pp 306.
- Rajkumar V, Guha G, Kumar RA (2011). Induction of apoptosis in MDA-MB-435S, Hep3B and PC-3 cell lines by extracts of Oroxylum indicum. J Pharm Res, 4, 2054-6.
- Rasadah A, Houghton M, Raman PJ (1998). Antimicrobial and antiinflammatory activities of extracts and constituents of Oroxylum indicum. Phytomed, 5, 375-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0944-7113(98)80020-2
- Shevdea LA, Welcha DR (2003). Metastasis suppressor pathways-an evolving paradigm. Cancer Lett, 198, 1-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3835(03)00304-5
- Shoeb M, Celik S, Jaspars, M, et al (2005). Isolation, structure elucidation and bioactivity of schischkiniin, a unique indole alkaloid from the seeds of Centaurea schischkinii. Tetrahedron, 61, 9001-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tet.2005.07.047
- Takai N, Kira N, Ishii T, et al (2012). Bufalin, a traditional oriental medicine, induces apoptosis in human cancer cells. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 13, 399-402. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.399
- Thongrakard V, Tencomnao T (2010). Modulatory effects of Thai medicinal plant extract on proinflammatory cytokinesinduced apoptosis in human keratinocyte HaCaT cells. African J Biotechnol, 9, 4999-5003.
- Uddin K, Sayeed A, Islam A, et al (2003). Biological activities of extracts and two flavonoids from Oroxylum indicum vent. (Bignoniaceae). Online J Biol Sci, 3, 371-5. https://doi.org/10.3923/jbs.2003.371.375
- Valero V, Hortobagyi GN (2003). Are anthracyclinetaxane regimens the new standard of care in the treatment of metastatic breast cancer? J Clin Oncol, 21, 959-62. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2003.11.071
- Venkatesan P, Raman TT, Ponnuraja C (2011). Survival analysis of women with breast cancer under adjuvant therapy in South India. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 12, 1533-5.
- Weisburg JH, Weissman DB, Sedaghat T, Babich H (2004). In vitro cytotoxicity of epigallocatechin gallate and tea extracts to cancerous and normal cells from the human oral cavity. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol, 95, 191-200.
- Weislow OS, Kiser R, Fine DL, et al (1989). New solubleformazan assay for HIV-1 cytopathic effects: Application to high-flux screening of synthetic and natural products for AIDS-antiviral activity. J Nat Cancer Inst, 81, 577-86. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/81.8.577
- Yodkeeree S, Ampasavate C, Sung B, Aggarwal BB, Limtrakul P (2003). Demethoxycurcumin suppresses migration and invasion of MDA-MB-231 human breast cancer cell line. European J Pharmacol, 627, 8-15.
- Zhong Y, Xu G, Ye G, et al (2009). Nodal and activin receptorlike kinase 7 induce apoptosis in human breast cancer cell lines: Role of caspase 3. Int J Physiol Pathophysiol Pharmacol, 1, 83-96.
- Biological Activity of N-Hydroxyethyl-4-aza-2,3-didehydropodophyllotoxin Derivatives upon Colorectal Adenocarcinoma Cells vol.04, pp.01, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4236/ojmc.2014.41001
- Antitumor Constituents from Anthriscus Sylvestris (L.) Hoffm vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2803
- Imidazolium-derived ionic salts induce inhibition of cancerous cell growth through apoptosis vol.5, pp.9, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1039/C4MD00161C
- Alleviation of 4-nitroquinoline 1-oxide induced oxidative stress by Oroxylum indicum (L.) leaf extract in albino Wistar rats vol.16, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12906-016-1186-x
- Lipoxygenase directed anti-inflammatory and anti-cancerous secondary metabolites: ADMET-based screening, molecular docking and dynamics simulation vol.35, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/07391102.2016.1159985
- induces apoptosis in human colorectal cancer HCT-116 cells via mitochondria-dependent pathway pp.1744-4160, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/13813455.2018.1455710
- Areca nut extract demonstrated apoptosis-inducing mechanism by increased caspase-3 activities on oral squamous cell carcinoma vol.7, pp.2046-1402, 2018, https://doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.14856.2
- Areca nut extract demonstrated apoptosis-inducing mechanism by increased caspase-3 activities on oral squamous cell carcinoma vol.7, pp.2046-1402, 2018, https://doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.14856.1
- Areca nut extract demonstrated apoptosis-inducing mechanism by increased caspase-3 activities on oral squamous cell carcinoma vol.7, pp.2046-1402, 2018, https://doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.14856.3
- Areca nut extract demonstrated apoptosis-inducing mechanism by increased caspase-3 activities on oral squamous cell carcinoma vol.7, pp.2046-1402, 2019, https://doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.14856.4