- Volume 13 Issue 6
In recent years there has been a substantial increase in the use of functional foods for disease control. Fruits and vegetables produce phytochemicals such as flavonoids and antioxidants which can lower oxidative stress and reduce the risk of chronic ailments like cancer. The aim of the present study was to investigate the antioxidant capacity and the possible protective effects of Amaranthus paniculatus leaves on the antioxidant defense system in Ehrlich's ascites carcinoma (EAC)-treated mice. Oral administration of the leaf extract at different doses caused a significant decrease in tumor volume, viable cell count and tumor weight and elevated the life span of EAC bearing mice. It also showed an improved antioxidant potential as evidenced by a significant increase in the cellular antioxidant defense system such as catalase, superoxide dismutase and reduced glutathione and also significantly reduced the levels of TBARS. The levels of RBC, hemoglobin and lymphocyte count were altered in EAC bearing mice and were reverted back to near normal levels after the treatment with the leaf extracts. Their adequate content of total phenolics and flavonoids, DPPH scavenging activity which further suggests that the extracts exert a significant protection against oxidative stress conditions.
Amaranthus paniculatus;ethanol extract;Ehrlich's ascites carcinoma (EAC);anticancer agent
- Badami S, Gupta MK, Suresh B (2003). Antioxidant activity of the ethanol extract of Striga orobanchioides. J Ethno pharmacol, 85, 227-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-8741(03)00021-7
- Bhatia AL (1998). The antiaging role of vitamin A and betacarotene. Ind J Gerontology, 12, 70-9
- Bhatia AL, Jain M (2003). Amaranthus paniculatus improves learning after radiation stress. J Ethnopharmacol, 85, 73-9 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-8741(02)00337-9
- Blois MS (2002). Antioxidant determination by the use of a stable free radicals. Nature, 26, 1199-200.
- Bohr VA, Stevnsner T, DeSouza-Pinto NC (2002). Mitochondrial DNA repair of oxidative damage in mammalian cells. Gene, 286, 127-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-1119(01)00813-7
- Chandler SF, Dodds JH (1993). The effect of phosphate, nitrogen and sucrose on the production of phenolics and solasidine in callus cultures of Solanum laciniatum. Plant Cell Reports, 2, 1005-10.
- Chang C, Yang M, Wen H, Chern J (2002). Estimation of total flavonoid content in propolis by two complimentary colorimetric methods. J Food &Drug Anal, 10, 178-82.
- Davis L, Kuttan G (2001). Effects of Withania somnifera on DMBA induced carcinogenesis. J Ethnopharmacol, 75, 165-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-8741(00)00404-9
- Ellman GL (1979). Tissue sulphydryl groups. Arch Biochem. Biophy, 82, 70-7.
- Geetha KR, Vasudevan DM (2004). Inhibition of lipid peroxidation by botanical extracts of Ocimum sanctum; in vitro and in vivo studies. Life Sci, 76, 21-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lfs.2004.05.036
- Gupta M, Mazumder UK, Rath N, Mukhopadhyay DK (2000). Antitumor activity of methanol extract of Cassia fistula L. seed against Ehrlich ascites carcinoma. J EthnoPharmacol, 72, 151-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-8741(00)00227-0
- Gupta M, Mazumder UK, Sambath Kumar R, et al ( 2004). Antitumor activity and antioxidant status of Caesalpinia bonducella against Ehrlich ascites carcinoma in Swiss albino mice. J Pharmacol Sci, 94, 77-84. https://doi.org/10.1254/jphs.94.77
- Kakkar P, Das B, Vishwanathan PN (1984). A modified spectrophotometric assay of superoxide dismutase. Ind J Biochem Biophy, 21, 130-2.
- Kavitha K, Manoharan S (2006). Anticarcinogenic and antilipid peroxidative effects of Tephrosia purpurea (Linn) pers. In 7, 12-dimethyl benz (a) anthracene (DMBA) induced hamster buccal pouch carcinoma. Ind J Pharmacol, 38, 185-9. https://doi.org/10.4103/0253-7613.25805
- Kintzios SE (2006). Terrestrial plant derives anticancer agents and plants used in anticancer research. Crit Rev Plant Sci, 25, 79-113 https://doi.org/10.1080/07352680500348824
- Kokate CK, Purohit AP, Gokhale SB (1997). Analytical pharmacognosy: phytochemical investigations. In: Prakashan, N. (Eds.), Pharmacognosy, fifth ed. Nirali Prakashan, India. pp 119-37.
- Krishna A, Kumar A (2005). Evaluation of radio protective effects of Rajgira (Amaranthus paniculatus) extract in Swiss albino mice. J Rad Res, 46, 233-9. https://doi.org/10.1269/jrr.46.233
- Kuttan G, Vasudevan DM, Kuttan R(1988). Isolation and identification of a tumor reducing component from mistletoe extract (Iscador). Cancer Letters, 41, 307-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3835(88)90292-3
- Litchfield JT, Wilcoxon F (1949). A simplified method of evaluating dose effect experiments. J Pharmacol & Exp Ther, 96, 99-133.
- Lowry OH, Rosenbrough N, Farr LA, Randal RJ (1951). Protein measurement with Folin's phenol reagent. J Biol Chem, 193, 265-75.
- Luck H (1974). In: Methods in enzymatic analysis, II Ed., Berg Mayer, Academic Press, New York. pp 885-6.
- Maharwal J, Samarth RM, Saini MR (2003). Radiomodulatory influence of Rajgira (Amaranthus paniculatus) leaf extract in swiss albino mice. Phytother Res, 17, 1150-4. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.1340
- Maseki M, Nishiagaki I, Hagishara M, Tomoda Y, Yagi K (1981). Lipid per oxidation levels and lipid content of serum lipoprotein fractions of pregnant subjects with or without preeclampsia. J Clin Chem Acta, 41, 424-6.
- Naik GH, Priyadarsini KI, Satav JG et al (2003). Comparative antioxidant activity of individual herbal components used in Ayurvedic medicine. Phytochem, 63, 97-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9422(02)00754-9
- Navarro J, Obrador E, Pellicer JA et al (1997). Blood glutathione as an index of radiation-induced oxidative stress in mice and humans. Free Rad Biol, 22, 1203-09. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(96)00554-0
- Okhawa H, Ohishi N, Yagi K (1979). Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction. Anal Biochem, 95, 351-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(79)90738-3
- Paredes-Lopez O, Cervantes-Ceja ML, Vigna-Perez M, Hemandez -Perez T (2010). Berries: improving human health and healthy aging and promoting quality life: a review. Plant Foods Hum Nutr, 65, 299-08. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11130-010-0177-1
- Prasad SB, Giri A (1994). Antitumor effect of cisplatin against murine ascites Dalton's lymphoma. Ind J Exp Biol, 32, 155-62.
- Vietmeyer ND (1983). Amaranth: return of the Aztec mystery crop. In the year book of science in the future. pp 188-95.
- Xia M, Wang D, Wang M et al (2004). Dracorhodin percholate induces apoptosis via activation of caspases and generation of reactive oxygen species. J Pharmacol Sci, 95, 273-83. https://doi.org/10.1254/jphs.FPJ03102X
- Evaluation of the Antioxidant and Hepatoprotective Effect of Phyllanthus fraternus Against a Chemotherapeutic Drug Cyclophosphamide vol.173, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12010-014-1018-8
- Antioxidant Phytochemicals for the Prevention and Treatment of Chronic Diseases vol.20, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules201219753
- Role of ROS and Nutritional Antioxidants in Human Diseases vol.9, pp.1664-042X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3389/fphys.2018.00477