- Volume 13 Issue 6
Aim: Gastric cancer is the third most frequent cause of cancer mortality worldwide. In Iran, it is one of the leading causes at the national level. Localized at chromosome 8q22, the human MTDH gene has been reported to be over-expressed in a spectrum of malignancies. However, since there is a lack of data concerning with expression in gastric cancer at the transcriptional level, in this study we evaluated MTDH expression in Iranian cases. Methods: Totally, thirty paired gastric samples were examined by quantitative real-time RT-PCR. Results: Although the mRNA expression was significantly elevated in 46.6% of the examined tumor tissues; its expression was low in others (36.6%). Moreover, there was only a marginal statistical difference between the MTDH gene expression of all tumor specimens compared to their paired non-tumor ones and no statistically significant association with the grades and types of the tumors. Conclusion: Taken together, our results demonstrated that expression of MTDH at the transcriptional level may be increased in gastric cancer tissue samples but with considerable heterogeneity. Due to this, it may have the potential to be used as a target for diagnostic/therapeutic purposes only in a subset of patients.
Gastric cancer;gene expression;MTDH;AEG-1
- Buckland P R (2004). Allele-specific gene expression differences in humans. Hum Mol Genet, 13, 255-60. https://doi.org/10.1093/hmg/ddh227
- Chen X, Leung S Y, Yuen S T, et al (2003). Variation in gene expression patterns in human gastric cancers. Mol Biol Cell, 14, 3208-15. https://doi.org/10.1091/mbc.E02-12-0833
- Emdad L, Sarkar D, Su Z Z, et al (2007). Astrocyte elevated gene-1: recent insights into a novel gene involved in tumor progression, metastasis and neurodegeneration. Pharmacol Ther, 114, 155-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pharmthera.2007.01.010
- Emdad L, Sarkar D, Su Z Z, et al (2006). Activation of the nuclear factor kappaB pathway by astrocyte elevated gene-1: implications for tumor progression and metastasis. Cancer Res, 66, 1509-16. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-05-3029
- Jian-bo X, Hui W, Yu-long H, et al (2010). Astrocyte-elevated gene-1 overexpression is associated with poor prognosis in gastric cancer. Med Oncol, 28, 455-62.
- Keeney S, Bauer T L (2006). Epidemiology of adenocarcinoma of the esophagogastric junction. Surgical Oncology clinics of North Am, 15, 687-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soc.2006.07.014
- Kikuno N, Shiina H, Urakami S, et al (2007). Knockdown of astrocyte-elevated gene-1 inhibits prostate cancer progression through upregulation of FOXO3a activity. Oncogene, 26, 7647-55. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1210572
- Kim D H, Mohapatra G, Bollen A, Waldman F M, Feuerstein B G (1995). Chromosomal abnormalities in glioblastoma multiforme tumors and glioma cell lines detected by comparative genomic hybridization. Int J Cancer, 60, 812-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.2910600615
- Lee S G, Jeon H Y, Su Z Z, et al (2009). Astrocyte elevated gene-1 contributes to the pathogenesis of neuroblastoma. Oncogene, 28, 2476-84. https://doi.org/10.1038/onc.2009.93
- Lee S G, Su Z Z, Emdad L, Sarkar D, Fisher P B (2006). Astrocyte elevated gene-1 (AEG-1) is a target gene of oncogenic Ha-ras requiring phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase and c-Myc. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 103, 17390-5. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0608386103
- Lee S G, Su Z Z, Emdad L, et al (2008). Astrocyte elevated gene-1 activates cell survival pathways through PI3K-Akt signaling. Oncogene, 27, 1114-21. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1210713
- Li J, Yang L, Song L, et al (2009). Astrocyte elevated gene-1 is a proliferation promoter in breast cancer via suppressing transcriptional factor FOXO1. Oncogene, 28, 3188-96. https://doi.org/10.1038/onc.2009.171
- Li J, Zhang N, Song L B, et al (2008). Astrocyte elevated gene-1 is a novel prognostic marker for breast cancer progression and overall patient survival. Clin Cancer Res, 14, 3319-26. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-07-4054
- Li X, Kong X, Huo Q, et al (2011). Metadherin enhances the invasiveness of breast cancer cells by inducing epithelial to mesenchymal transition. Cancer Sci, 102, 1151-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2011.01919.x
- Liu L, Wu J, Ying Z, et al (2010). Astrocyte elevated gene-1 upregulates matrix metalloproteinase-9 and induces human glioma invasion. Cancer Res, 70, 3750-9. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-09-3838
- Malekzadeh R, Derakhshan M H, Malekzadeh Z (2009). Gastric cancer in Iran: epidemiology and risk factors. Arch Iran Med, 12, 576-83.
- Mowla S J, Emadi Bayegi M, Ziaee S A, Nikpoor P (2005). Evaluating expression and potential diagnostic and prognostic values of Survivin in bladder tumors: a preliminary report. Urology J, 2, 141-7.
- Nikpour P, Mowla S J, Jafarnejad S M, Fischer U, Schulz W A (2009). Differential effects of Nucleostemin suppression on cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in the bladder cancer cell lines 5637 and SW1710. Cell Proliferation, 42, 762-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2184.2009.00635.x
- Ooi C H, Ivanova T, Wu J, et al (2009). Oncogenic pathway combinations predict clinical prognosis in gastric cancer. PLoS Genet, 5, 1000676. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pgen.1000676
- Poon T C, Wong N, Lai P B, et al (2006). A tumor progression model for hepatocellular carcinoma: bioinformatic analysis of genomic data. Gastroenterology, 131, 1262-70. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2006.08.014
- Santarpia M, Magri I, Sanchez-Ronco M, et al (2011). mRNA expression levels and genetic status of genes involved in the EGFR and NF-kappaB pathways in metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer patients. J Transl Med, 9, 163. https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5876-9-163
- Sarkar D, Emdad L, Lee S G, et al (2009). Astrocyte elevated gene-1: far more than just a gene regulated in astrocytes. Cancer Res, 69, 8529-35. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-09-1846
- Sarkar D, Park E S, Emdad L, et al (2008). Molecular basis of nuclear factor-kappaB activation by astrocyte elevated gene-1. Cancer Res, 68, 1478-84. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-07-6164
- Song H, Li C, Li R, Geng J (2010). Prognostic significance of AEG-1 expression in colorectal carcinoma. Int J Colorectal Dis, 25, 1201-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00384-010-1009-3
- Song L, Li W, Zhang H, et al (2009). Over-expression of AEG-1 significantly associates with tumour aggressiveness and poor prognosis in human non-small cell lung cancer. J Pathol, 219, 317-26. https://doi.org/10.1002/path.2595
- The National Cancer Registry (2008). Fourth national report on cancer incidence and mortality. Ministry of Health and Medical Education, Tehran, Iran.
- Thirkettle H J, Girling J, Warren A Y, et al (2009). LYRIC/AEG-1 is targeted to different subcellular compartments by ubiquitinylation and intrinsic nuclear localization signals. Clin Cancer Res, 15, 3003-13. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-08-2046
- Wang Y, Klijn J G, Zhang Y, et al (2005). Gene-expression profiles to predict distant metastasis of lymph-node-negative primary breast cancer. Lancet, 365, 671-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(05)17947-1
- Yoo B K, Emdad L, Su Z Z, et al (2009). Astrocyte elevated gene-1 regulates hepatocellular carcinoma development and progression. J Clin Invest, 119, 465-77. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI36460
- Yu C, Chen K, Zheng H, et al (2009). Overexpression of astrocyte elevated gene-1 (AEG-1) is associated with esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (ESCC) progression and pathogenesis. Carcinogenesis, 30, 894-901. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgp064
- EYA1 expression in gastric carcinoma and its association with clinicopathological characteristics: a pilot study vol.31, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-014-0955-y
- Metadherin expression and lung relapse in patients with colorectal carcinoma vol.31, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10585-014-9659-0
- Long noncoding RNAs in gastric cancer carcinogenesis and metastasis pp.2041-2657, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1093/bfgp/elw011
- Post-trimodality expression levels of metadherin (MTDH) as a prognostic biomarker for esophageal adenocarcinoma patients vol.34, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-017-0994-2
- Progress of cancer research on astrocyte elevated gene-1/Metadherin (Review) vol.8, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2014.2231
- MicroRNA-154 inhibits the growth and metastasis of gastric cancer cells by directly targeting MTDH vol.14, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2017.6558